Ice riding/racing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ice riding/racing

Sewerat

I am looking for some advise on a good location and some contacts for learning some ice racing this winter. A think I already have all the gear I am going to need now it's just the location the get out and do it and learn how. I am near Stratford if there is anyone nearby that does this? I have heard the possibility of lakeside and brantford but not sure on these?

Thanks

What are you doing for studs?
Royal sells tires built by George Jones (not the "possum"), he's the #1 guy for doing them.

The location near brantford is called "smiths mill pond" it's known by the riders as Oakland pond. Bikes have been riding there every winter since the 70's. Sunday morning is when everyone goes.

You'll need to re-jet the carb.

Yea - that makes sense. Is there any concern with the carb freezing?

Just been looking into ice tires... wow. I though racing tires were pricey... Has anyone had any luck with making their own ice tires, or would it be better to just buy a set?

Yea - that makes sense. Is there any concern with the carb freezing?

Just been looking into ice tires... wow. I though racing tires were pricey... Has anyone had any luck with making their own ice tires, or would it be better to just buy a set?

By the time you build the tires and pay for the studs, you're not that far off from those ones made by George in the Royal Cataloge. His tires won't be throwing out studs and will hook up better than slicks on dry pavement.

I've never heard of a carb freezing up on a MX bike in the cold. They're tucked in behind the cylinder with an exhaust header running right along the right hand side of the carb so I doubt it's an issue.

Sewerat,

I have a 71 CB350 that's stripped and studded - old knobbies with about 80$ worth of short screw in's.

I have yet to use it - but a few years back friends and I shovelled a track on a pond near New Dundee and thrashed studded rat bikes - A 400 seca and a CB360. What a blast.

Let me know if you find a spot near by - I'm in St Marys

"Wanted local loco with pond. You supply ice and I'll buy gas"

Don"t forget your ice tire covers. You'll spend all your money getting set up and forget to cover your studs.The pavement will wreck them
in a heart beat. Not to mention what they'll do to your garage floor.
We have a bunch in stock right now,,but it usually gets hard to keep up in a few more weeks.

John

Well I have a buddy that lives in lakeside on the lake and he said he'd plow a track into it come go time. Got tires got bike got wraps need ice.

Hoping to get out on sunova lake tomorrow and then again likely this weekend. Got the bike preped and ready today. Anybody know if they are out on brantford pond yet?

y6ytugyg.jpg

u8a2aqad.jpg

RobbieO knows Oakland pond. You know where to find him.

Had an absolute blast today. I'm addicted. Plan on going back out in Lakeside on Saturday, early afternoon.

No riding pictures as I was alone today. But here's a teaser
y2y9y6ud.jpg

Looks like Fun...so no issue's with the stud's? Not knowing much about ice racing..how did the bike feel...re grip?

Back
Top Bottom