I don't know you, stay the f*** away from me! | GTAMotorcycle.com

I don't know you, stay the f*** away from me!

KLR Junkie

Something is going on out on the roads this year. Every time I've been out so far this spring I've had strangers start riding formation on me.

Of course it's nothing new, it happens from time to time every year, but not like this. Every single ride, sometimes multiple times on the same ride I have these dummies tucking in right beside me like we're a stunt riding team. I've tried waving them on, I've tried slowing down, I've tried weaving about like a drunken fool but they just don't seem to get the message.

I know that most of the regulars here are good riders who wouldn't take part in this kind of dangerous stupidity, but just in case there's anyone reading this who isn't already aware...

DON'T RIDE IN FORMATION WITH STRANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Formation riding is for groups of people who have gotten together before the ride to work out signals, procedures and following distances. If I don't know you, I don't want you riding 6 feet away from me when we're doing 90km/h. I have no idea what your skill level is or what you might plan on doing if you need to take evasive action. I don't want you restricting my ability to maneuver and frankly, I don't want to have to worry about hitting you if I drift in the lane a bit while enjoying the scenery.

Just ride your own darn ride and leave me in peace.

See you on the road.

Something is going on out on the roads this year. Every time I've been out so far this spring I've had strangers start riding formation on me.

Of course it's nothing new, it happens from time to time every year, but not like this. Every single ride, sometimes multiple times on the same ride I have these dummies tucking in right beside me like we're a stunt riding team. I've tried waving them on, I've tried slowing down, I've tried weaving about like a drunken fool but they just don't seem to get the message.

I know that most of the regulars here are good riders who wouldn't take part in this kind of dangerous stupidity, but just in case there's anyone reading this who isn't already aware...

DON'T RIDE IN FORMATION WITH STRANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Formation riding is for groups of people who have gotten together before the ride to work out signals, procedures and following distances. If I don't know you, I don't want you riding 6 feet away from me when we're doing 90km/h. I have no idea what your skill level is or what you might plan on doing if you need to take evasive action. I don't want you restricting my ability to maneuver and frankly, I don't want to have to worry about hitting you if I drift in the lane a bit while enjoying the scenery.

Just ride your own darn ride and leave me in peace.

See you on the road.
I agree 100%. If I happen to come upon another bike, I treat them like a car (or maybe even more space depending on how they ride). If someone goes into formation with me, I get out of that situation. Same as with a tailgating car, a reverse pass often works (blinker, pull out, slow down, blinker, drop in behind). Now I get to pick following distance. You get very confused looks though.

Same as with a tailgating car, a reverse pass often works (blinker, pull out, slow down, blinker, drop in behind). Now I get to pick following distance. You get very confused looks though.

Oooooh, this right here. I've even politely pulled my car off on a shoulder to let some butt muncher get on by (the irony of me catching up with them, further down as they dropped below the speed limit, is not lost on me...).

Formation riding though, especially unsolicited, seems silly. Being new, I'm more worried about wiping out ahead of another rider and taking the poor SOB down with me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meh i prefer having them staggered than right behind me. Having them right behind me means more accident risk. And usually it doesnt last more than 1km, whether i'm turning or i end up leaving them behind in traffic.

Never happen to me either, but just it case...

Haha. I was hoping for a link to a get back whip. If they are close enough for you to use it, they deserve what's coming.

I might pull up alongside at a light but once the light turns you get your space back. I would never pull up beside you when we're rolling.

Meh i prefer having them staggered than right behind me. Having them right behind me means more accident risk. And usually it doesnt last more than 1km, whether i'm turning or i end up leaving them behind in traffic.
Plus it becomes easier to see them in your mirrors.

I will loosely form up on strangers if I think it makes sense for the situation (I am NOT going to be six feet behind you though). Also I think stranger formation makes sense in situations like the southbound shuffle on the 400 or 427 when it's stop and go - all the stinkeye you can muster won't stop some ******* cager from wedging themselves into your lane near the offramps at the ends, and if you aren't staggered then it creates an opportunity that is irresistible to them.

I think I have only ever had it once in my life where someone I didn't know was following me into corners, a long time ago. In that case it is absolutely distracting having to keep tabs on where they are

IDK, I get lonely sometimes and enjoy the shallow illusion of friendship

Stranger Danger!

I always ride offset to any rider in front of me. If it's someone I don't know, it won't be 6 feet away, but the normal 2 seconds back just as I would any other vehicle. I ride offset so I can see past the rider, and not have my vision ahead blocked by his bike.

Yup, nothing wrong with riding "in formation", if all that means is staggered so you can see around the bike in front of you, AND you leave the same amount of room you normally would. The problem is, when people go out on these massive group rides, they don't actually ride in proper formation. Always front wheel next to rear wheel or even further up. It's crazy.

I ride formation if I come up on another rider. But typically fairly well back…no different than behind a cage.

I prefer them close behind me instead of blowing by me in my own lane.
Before covid I was headed up to the Freedom Machine rally (nothing to with truckers) and some ahole blew past me in my lane on the inside. He ended up camping near me and I let him know that's a major faux pas.

Before covid I was headed up to the Freedom Machine rally (nothing to with truckers) and some ahole blew past me in my lane on the inside. He ended up camping near me and I let him know that's a major faux pas.
First time it happened to me was on Kipling and looked like a Hells Angel vest.

Next 2x was on the 403 in the left lane where a guy passed me on the left hand side as I was in my lane position on the right track.

All 3 times scared the hell out of me as they came up so fast I never saw them.

Many years ago north of Wiarton, heading to Tobermory, on a 250. A group of cruisers from the US caught up to me. Some past, some did not. Without changing my speed, I found myself in the middle of the group.
Kinda weirded out but...
We traveled the last 45 mins - hour the rest of the way like that.
Talked to some as we waited for the boat. Turns out they were bored and just wanted to mess with me.
All good I guess.
Got some pics as they loaded...
BIKE 4.jpgBIKE 5.jpgBIKE 6.jpgBIKE 7.jpgBIKE8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom