How to remove a yamaha rotor bolt | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to remove a yamaha rotor bolt

During a recent swing arm maint. job on My FJR I encountered a very "snug" hex/allen head bolt.
The bolt is one of four securing the left foot peg/shifter assembly...
I had been given the heads up that Mamma Yamma does indeed have a habit of over applying the red juice and my initial attempt to loosen said bolt confirmed the rumor.
Before resorting to brute force and possibly stripping the bolt I used my electric soldering iron to apply heat directly to the bolt...
'Took a good ten minutes, but... after that the bolt and all that residual red "glue" turned out nicely.

That fastener goes through an awful lot of heat cycles... AND two types of metal.
I don't know that it was any fault of Yamaha. Blame science.

Heating thread-locked fasteners is best practice - saves you from stripping and twisting heads off. A lot of MC fasteners are soft so you don't over torque or strip aluminum threads.

... when you put it back together be sure to lather it with anti seize
... but be sure to consistantly check the torque on those bolts, cuz ...you know... heat cycles

I used a manual impact hammer before using a propane torch before trying with an impact wrench. The bolts were covered in so much loctite this was the only way to break them free

Heat them with a small torch before you start, use a good quality tool and go full commit with an impact gun. Be prepared to replace some. Do enough and you'll get used to them.

Back
Top Bottom