How to register FOUND motorcycle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to register FOUND motorcycle

You know what just jumped into my head, what the heck would I do about keys? They are going to need keys at some point, how does one go about fixing that issue?

One of the front tires is locked so it can't turn I assume until the keys are inserted.
Replacing the lock sets cost about $300 for each bike, you might find a locksmith to cut keys -- i doubt it. The wheel lock is pesky, it will need to grind it off OR replace the rotor ($150). I'm guessing the extras include (per bike) : legal/registration work $400, transport $100, auction fees $400. At auction they should fetch $1500-2500 depending on the day and whether they are in running condition. So, if you spend $1200/bike, my guess is you'll net between $800/$1000 each.

Of course your time is not included or valued.

Replacing the lock sets cost about $300 for each bike, you might find a locksmith to cut keys -- i doubt it. The wheel lock is pesky, it will need to grind it off OR replace the rotor ($150). I'm guessing the extras include (per bike) : legal/registration work $400, transport $100, auction fees $400. At auction they should fetch $1500-2500 depending on the day and whether they are in running condition. So, if you spend $1200/bike, my guess is you'll net between $800/$1000 each.

Of course your time is not included or valued.
I think he is talking about the stock steering lock, not a disc lock.

Very helpful post.

they should be registered letters, so you have a reciept you actually sent the letters. The parents of the kids in HongKong must have had an address that was on some bit of paperwork.

they should be registered letters, so you have a reciept you actually sent the letters. The parents of the kids in HongKong must have had an address that was on some bit of paperwork.

Crap I'm gonna have to go find it, it's been a couple of years and another tenant since they were around... my filing system leaves a little to be desired.

Do they have to be registered letters? I am assuming the last known address is owned by the landlord so he's basically sending letters to himself (or she/herself).

If they're registered then it is documented for your paper trail. You'll have a receipt that it was sent and a receipt that it was refused at the destination.
Also you can proceed sooner after a registered letter (14 days) over snail mail (30 days).

Letters go to the registered owner, get a UVIP, send letters to THAT name and address.

Any good locksmith can make you a new key for the bike, for the cost of a service call.
Cut the disc lock off with a grinder.

Like I mentioned before, pm me and I will come get them. Zero effort on your part. Wife’s birthday is coming up, she would be ecstatic to not have to ride on the back anymore.

I'd be hesitant to get them changed to your property unless you have legal advice
the process involves an affidavit that is a sworn legal document
putting anything on there that is not 100% accurate
then signing and have a Commissioner of Oath certify
could possibly be trouble for you down the road
not likely to come back and be a problem
but something I'd want to avoid until I had proper advice

Simple solution; don't write anything on a sworn affidavit that is not 100% accurate.

Sell them as scrap, as is - let the purchaser worry about the details. They aren't stolen.

Years ago... I registered an atv we found. We watched it sit in a field on crown land, half submerged, for 2 years before taking it out. Called OPP, not stolen.. registered it and spent a couple K fixing it... Another year later.. OPP called and told us that the original owner is looking for his ATV. We had to return it to him.. and were out everything we spent on it.

So for those following along at home, the VIN numbers tell me they are:

2009 KAWASAKI EX250

2015 YAMAHA YZF-R3

The 09 is pretty rough and some cracks on the cladding etc.. the 15 is pretty much showroom condition from what I can see with my untrained eye.

I'd get the UVIP, for the R3 anyway
some value there, UVIP will tell you last known registrant
worth trying to get a reply from registered owner to authorize putting in your name
then sell as complete bike, or keep it

I'd get the UVIP, for the R3 anyway
some value there, UVIP will tell you last known registrant
worth trying to get a reply from registered owner to authorize putting in your name
then sell as complete bike, or keep it

I do have the UVIP for both bikes now. Makes for some interesting reading for sure.

Reactions: J_F
Simple solution; don't write anything on a sworn affidavit that is not 100% accurate.

concern is that if OP doesn't get something back in writing from registrant
then goes ahead with the affidavit of transfer
and previous owner shows up looking for the bike
there could be consequences even though he has not willfully done anything wrong

concern is that if OP doesn't get something back in writing from registrant
then goes ahead with the affidavit of transfer
and previous owner shows up looking for the bike
there could be consequences even though he has not willfully done anything wrong
An affidavit provided for ownership change is only when the registered vehicle has changed hands in a legitimate transaction and the ownership lost. In this case the Chinese tenants would need to provide a signed UVIP or bill of sale noting the registration was lost and that they are unwilling to go through the process of getting a new one.

You can't use it to claim someone's property that has been left behind -- up need to use a storage lien for that.

I'd be double carefull now the subject is openly discussed in a public forum.

Back
Top Bottom