How to fight a ticket for not displaying a front license plate | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to fight a ticket for not displaying a front license plate

timmy_13

How to fight a ticket for not displaying a front license plate, it was not mounted but was displayed on the dash board. Cop wrote me a $110 ticket. Does it have any de merit points. Im pretty sure they don't but no harm in checking,

Help!!

I'm in the same boat, but I was actually warned first by an off duty that they are doing a blitz on this kind if thing. I don't know if there are points associated.

They are targeting work vehicles.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Plate has to be mounted on the front, in the dash is illegal. If you are not going to run a front plate don't run it at all, it is less noticeable. I had no plate on the front at all for years and never had an issue, but I know lots of people who have been fined for having it on the dash.

If you are not going to run a front plate don't run it at all, it is less noticeable. I had no plate on the front at all for years and never had an issue,

I agree. I didn't tuna front plate in my MINI for the three years I owned it and was never bothered by the coppers.

Thing is it's an easy ticket and a hard one to fight, and so an easy score for a traffic officer.

(3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

This is not a points offence, but it is a slam dunk for The Crown. The best you can generally hope for is a reduction in the fine, by pleading poverty, short of the Holy Grail of officer no show.

fix the problem with mounting it, take a picture, select to speak with a prosecutor, do so, show them the picture od the problem fixed.
most likely will be dropped. if not take it to trial and hope for a no-show or say it just fell off and it was temporarily in the dash and is now fixed.

Yeah, just fix it and take a picture, and tell them that a screw had come out earlier so you had a driver in your car and jsut took the whole plate off, so it wouldn't fly off while on the highway. You were going to drop by the store later to pick up a bolt and got the ticket.

HATE front license plates. With that said Ive been issued this ticket and fought it with the excuse that I just installed a new bumper and still needed to mount the plate. Scuba Steve is 100% right thou if its NOT on the front dont fly it on the dash, its just heat. There is No demerit points for that infraction. Good luck hope it gets dropped.

I'd be more concerned about whether it leads to an insurance hike than the points.

I'd be more concerned about whether it leads to an insurance hike than the points.

I don't think it would. Well I want to rephrase that, because we know they will go after any reason to hike rates. It shouldn't.

It's like having expired plates. Yes it's a ticket against you because it is your duty to keep your sticker up-to-date but it has nothing to do with how safe a driver you are. It just means you're lazy, forgetful or poor.
I had 5 expired plate tickets when I had my Mustang.

I think bboiSushi's suggestion in post #7 is probably the avenue I would explore. It's like a "fix it" ticket (bikes get them all the time for undertail kits that are too far under the tail) and I hear those are easy to get dropped in court if you show that you did indeed fix it as soon as possible.

A friend has his plate way behind his tire hugger, so far back that when he sat on the bike, the compression of the suspension would actually make the plate impossible to see.
He got a ticket for it. He went on ebay that night and bought a proper undertail bracket that puts the plate right under the tail light, installed it, took pictures and was able to have the ticket dropped.

If you show that you want to be responsible and are proactive about it, they can be forgiving.

tickets like this usually get dropped if you show that you fixed the problem. I had a few, I got one for my e-brake, exhaust, no catalyst.
e-brake ticket was dumb, it worked perfectly fine. I had a rear wheel drive car, the cop tells me to put my e-brake car in gear and give it gas. Car doesn't move by rear end lifts up a little, I took a receipt for all the repairs to the court and they dropped the tickets.

Back
Top Bottom