How to Become a License Motorcycle Mechanic in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to Become a License Motorcycle Mechanic in Ontario

TIBURON

I was wondering if anybody knows the steps on how to become a motorcycle mechanic here in Ontario and if its worth it, motorcycles are my passion and I someone said "do what you are passionate about and you wont feel like you worked a day in your life"
I know about centennial college, but I think you have to have a job at a dealership first before you get into the program, but how can I get a job if I do not have experience? Who is going to hire me?

Thanks for your responses guys !!

There have been threads on this before. Personally I would avoid going this route as the pay seems to be less than amazing and when you are forced to do boring work on bikes all day, your passion to do interesting things at night is normally crushed.

Look for a job you don't hate that can make you enough money to build and ride kick-*** bikes on the weekend.

Thas a vote of confidence for all those techs out there, I know a lot of bike, car, truck mechanics out there and they are happy, well adjusted and love there job, just lke any profession, if that is your passion, go for it.

There have been threads on this before. Personally I would avoid going this route as the pay seems to be less than amazing and when you are forced to do boring work on bikes all day, your passion to do interesting things at night is normally crushed.

Look for a job you don't hate that can make you enough money to build and ride kick-*** bikes on the weekend.

+1

There's also another side to the story, of "Do what u like so it doesn't feel u work a day in your life"; when u have to meet timelines and see ppl treating their bikes like crap, that love can change into "work".

I always tell ppl, gimme a job that pays well and I'll be happy. I can then feed my expensive hobbies to keep me happy at the end of the day

Just get your automotive license, this will allow you to safety bikes as well.
The pay scale for motorcycle mechanics is typically low (there are exemptions).
As we're I you get into a good car dealer you can make 6 figures + a year. And you can still work on bikes.
Problem is yea cars and bikes are fun to work on as a hobby, but when you do it day in day out it starts to loose it's coolness and becomes just a job.
That being said you still need to earn a living and from the few motorcycle techs I know there salary is in the 40-60g a year range. Just enough to live on.

Now don't get me wrong forty to sixty grand isn't a whole lot, but its PLENTY to live on.. maybe not if you're planning on solely supporting a few kids and a mortgage, but as a single entity that is plenty of dough..

Don't do it. IF you live in toronto, and your flat rate, you might make some ok money. But if your out of the city, it's not enough. I'm a tech in waterloo, and the pay is a joke. That and getting laid off or working just a few days a week makes it really tough in the winter. Taking home a whopping 20-25k a year, just doesn't cut it. BUT, if you really want to know how to get your license I'm happy to help you out. Just don't want to have to type it all out if I don't have to.

edit: I'm trying to find a new career now.

Also, think of your health. You deal with chemicals all day and breath in exhaust fumes alot. You will come home smelling like gas and exhaust every day. And while you may like the smell now, you won't later.

Topo Geigeo (is that a mouse? lol)
Yes I would like to know the steps of getting a license. I do live downtown Toronto, and my goal will be to open up a shop in the near future, hopefully that way I can make a better living than just working for someone.
I went to an open house to centennial college on saturday and the training course that interest me is "Motorcycle and power sports technician" its a 2 semester course and gives you a certificate to be able to apply to a dealership or shop and to be ready to start apprenticeship once someone hire me. Am I right?
Please give me your input on this, thank you !!

Topo Geigeo (is that a mouse? lol)
Yes I would like to know the steps of getting a license. I do live downtown Toronto, and my goal will be to open up a shop in the near future, hopefully that way I can make a better living than just working for someone.
I went to an open house to centennial college on saturday and the training course that interest me is "Motorcycle and power sports technician" its a 2 semester course and gives you a certificate to be able to apply to a dealership or shop and to be ready to start apprenticeship once someone hire me. Am I right?
Please give me your input on this, thank you !!

How in the near future do you want to open a shop in?
Apprentiship is a 5 year deal, not to mention you dont learn squat in school.
School will teach you the books behind it, but actually learning a trade comes from years of experience watching the pros secrets and tricks.
I though about opening a shop a few years ago and becoming my own boss, once the math was done i figured id have to work twice as hard for less pay with alot more headaches.

The son my my good friend is a bike mechanic/ snowmobile tech, and looking at marine now as well. He's not very ambitious but seems to stay busy since he has winter/summer skills. He's moving west for next year, snow sled techs keeping rental fleets going in BC resorts make nice coin, but you get to work from when it breaks to when it gets fixed........

Well, There are many companies who charge hourly for motorcycle mechanic work. They are well experienced and also well trained in there profession work and you see that how much time with effort one has to put for repairing bike. I am also looking to become good motorcycle mechanic and for that I search online and founds your thread very informative.

Well, good to hear, I went to centennial College and looked at the Labs, so i put my application through Ontario Colleges for Motorcycle and Powersports Product Repair Program, its a two semesters program and that will give me the key to be able to start working at a shop where I can start my apprenticeship in the near future as a Motorcycle Mechanic!
Like I said, I am already 35 years old but hey "its never too late"

Tiburon,

I too am thinking of becoming a motorcycle mechanic. I love bikes and have always said if I wanted to switch careers it would be to work on bikes. How has your experience been so far? Are you enjoying it?

Back
Top Bottom