How Many Of You Have Been Forced To Become Amateur Mechanics? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Many Of You Have Been Forced To Become Amateur Mechanics?

HD wanted $2500 painted, LOL. I bought a second hand tank for $500, almost flawless.
Canadian?
Holy for a steel tank, must be expensive paint.
How much for a naked one or do they not sell them like that. Second hand sounds good (y)

An hour?
what all do you have to remove to be able to change the timing belt?
A dealer would charge about 2 hours to change and tension them.All that needs to be removed is the carbon belt covers and the crankshaft access cover plate (if you have the turning tool) and two spark plugs to determine tdc.

Canadian?
Holy for a steel tank, must be expensive paint.
How much for a naked one or do they not sell them like that. Second hand sounds good (y)

Yup, Cdn straight from the dealer, and they won't sell it without paint. Have to tell them exactly what model and colour. They must make a killing off these wallet bikers. I also plan to repair the original tank - properly, just because I can.

It's Italian, devi toglierti tutti i vestiti ed esporre i meravigliosi macchinari.

Yup, Cdn straight from the dealer, and they won't sell it without paint. Have to tell them exactly what model and colour. They must make a killing off these wallet bikers. I also plan to repair the original tank - properly, just because I can.
You should try making them from scratch, couldn't be any worse. Crank up production if it turns out great, you already have the templates.

You will be surprised how clueless many people are, and how they underestimate themselves.

I worked at a gas station in my teens and this professional guy on a BMW wanted his oil checked. I asked him where was the oil stick because I couldn't find it. He didn't know either, he had never done it himself. He should had known where it was, its his car.

Or how about my sister in law's husband who went to Canadian Tire to fix a burnt taillight and 4 hrs later came out with a $650 dollar bill. Canadian Tire techs told him his brakes and rotors were "no good" and that they couldn't let him leave like that, that it was a liability.

ha, I had nearly the same experience with my wife's car! I went to some independent shop to change the tires and they were saying that the brakes are gone and I need to get new rotors+pads+rebuild callipers. Luckily, I was previously doing some light jobs on my own cars, so I had some mechanical experience. I asked them to write a doc with their complaints and signed it with words that they are not liable to anything. Just to be sure, I went to my trusted shop and confirmed that everything ok (I wanted to have a record from licenced mechanics that everything is ok).

Last edited:
So, I previously worked with my father (a long time ago) on some old cars.. and once I got my first "sports" cars, I wanted to work on them as well. Unfortunately, my work/family stuff didn't allow to spent much time in the garage.. but it is much easier to work on bikes! I did enjoy working on my bikes recently and it actually taught me a lot about how things work. When I bought my first bike, I just was riding it. Now, I actually understand that the first thing that I need to do with a bike is to adjust controls+suspension to fit me. That's actually a huge difference for me to be comfortable to change different parameters. At first, I was even thinking that the left hand and right hands should be symmetrical (i.e. brake/clutch levers, clipons)... Now, I know that I was very wrong..

I inherited my bike from my late Father with 0 knowledge. The bike had been sitting for 6 months.
Two-years later, I've learned so damn much it's kind of crazy. Youtube had helped alot. I've stripped over 10 different bolts and broken different things. I guess you have to learn somehow.
I'm as cheap as they come and would never pay someone to change my oil. Easiest job in the world.

When I started riding I took my bike to a mechanic once, now 7 years later I am rebuilding motors for people for fun on the side. I got obsessed with working on my bikes and absorbing everything there this to know about bike maitenance.

Also I recently decided I was ready to add a lift to my setup, after seeing it posted here. :) Looking forward to using it.

Attachments

• Inked106480529_4064243150316368_8970534684753511991_n_LI.jpg
    Inked106480529_4064243150316368_8970534684753511991_n_LI.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Living at a condo with limited storage for tools and space to work on the bike.. So I can only do the bare minimal, which Has to be oil change.. ? Had to go the mechanic route with tires, chain, valve, etc when the time came.

Living at a condo with limited storage for tools and space to work on the bike.. So I can only do the bare minimal, which Has to be oil change.. ? Had to go the mechanic route with tires, chain, valve, etc when the time came.

My condo's storage locker is about 75% tools.

God bless centre stands
NOsBvVD.jpg

oil change, chain inspection/tensioning , removal of wheels, inspection of break pads, clutch and throttle adjustment is kinda considered basic maintenance that can be done by the operator... it actually shown how to be done in most motorcycle operating manuals.

I mean hell, there's a video out by MotoGP showing Jack miller taking apart and working on his motogp bike's brakes... that's like how many millions? If he can do it, so can we!!

oil change, chain inspection/tensioning , removal of wheels, inspection of break pads, clutch and throttle adjustment is kinda considered basic maintenance that can be done by the operator... it actually shown how to be done in most motorcycle operating manuals.

I mean hell, there's a video out by MotoGP showing Jack miller taking apart and working on his motogp bike's brakes... that's like how many millions? If he can do it, so can we!!
On some bikes, doing the maintenance can be easier than getting to the mechanic. For front brake pads on a K bike, you remove a retainer and slide the pads out the top of the caliper. It takes two minutes.

In all seriousness, you'd be surprised at how completely and utterly mechanically inept many people are. It comes with a lot of things, vehicles aside - there are people on our local community facebook page who are calling in plumbers to the tune of $100 to replace a worn out flapper in their toilet tank.

A visit to Home Depot for a $5 part and watching a 30 second YouTube video on the topic and even a 12 year old could do the job. But nope, need a plumber.

Saw someone else who wanted a gasfitter to come in to plug their new gas bbq into the existing line because they didn't understand how to operate a quick connect and/or were scared to.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, you'd be surprised at how completely and utterly mechanically inept many people are. It comes with a lot of things, vehicles aside - there are people on our local community facebook page who are calling in plumbers to the tune of $100 to replace a worn out flapper in their toilet tank.

A visit to Home Depot for a $5 part and watching a 30 second YouTube video on the topic and even a 12 year old could do the job. But nope, need a plumber.

Saw someone else who wanted a gasfitter to come in to plug their new gas bbq into the existing line because they didn't understand how to operate a quick connect and/or were scared to.
It's prolly the boomers fault.

In all seriousness, you'd be surprised at how completely and utterly mechanically inept many people are. It comes with a lot of things, vehicles aside - there are people on our local community facebook page who are calling in plumbers to the tune of $100 to replace a worn out flapper in the tank.

As much as I occasional give those type of people a funny look, I am actually happy that they know their limits. I prefer them to the guy that poorly macgyvers a solution and causes floods or explosions.

The really sad part is we are quickly getting to a situation where without personal experience or a reference from someone you trust that is competent, it is hard to get good work done at any price. Sadly, I have better faith in my construction/repair than the person that is paid to do it. I am fighting the hvac system in my house where that calcs showed 4 tons was required so they installed 3 and sized all ductwork for 2.5. There were no returns above knee high on the second floor and the return in the worst case room is a 5" round duct with at least 10 elbows in it. It would have cost almost nothing to do it right the first time and is almost impossible to make work well now without thousands of dollars of remedial work.

Back
Top Bottom