How Many Of You Have Been Forced To Become Amateur Mechanics? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Many Of You Have Been Forced To Become Amateur Mechanics?

Pegassus

Site Supporter
I tried to have an oil & filter change done on my new bike and went to 3 different bike shops. They were all full and wanted me to leave my bike with them (it was a Thursday) and to pick it up Monday, with a sunny 30C + weekend coming up? Yeah okay.

I got ****** and went to buy a jug of oil and a filter and went to Youtube. In 20 mins I was draining my old oil and was taking out the filter with a pipe wrench (didn't have that belt thing tool). In less than 30 mins it was done.

The same story with the new signals I bought and a USB charger to charge my phone I simply didn't have the patience to wait for a bloody bike shop to install them, the wait times were days. How many of you have been forced to do your own things because of these facts?

I think I will do my own brake shoes too next time.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Next you'll be changing your plugs and battery, then tires. Eventually, your driveway will look like mine.
405863da48ae85e832df3eacf1d13052.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

AHahahaha.

Somewhat.

Put my own phone holder with Qi charger on. Will also do what I can to maintain it. Including oil change.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Speaking of filter wrenches, this kind works real good on bikes that have a recessed filter, (like on any BMW K series bike)

MX2330_Main_1000x.jpg

Speaking of filter wrenches, this kind works real good on bikes that have a recessed filter, (like on any BMW K series bike)

MX2330_Main_1000x.jpg
I have the K-series wrench in my tool box. That one looks much more useful as it fits more than one bike.

I tried to have an oil & filter change done on my new bike and went to 3 different bike shops. They were all full and wanted me to leave my bike with them and that Monday it would be ready, on a sunny 30+ weekend? Yeah okay.

I got ****** and went to buy a jug of oil and a filter and went to Youtube. In 20 mins I was draining my old oil and was taking out the filter with a pipe wrench (didn't have that belt thing tool). In less than 30 mins it was done.

The same story with the new signals I bought and a USB charger to charge my phone I simply didn't have the patience to wait for a bloody bike shop to install them, the wait times were days. How many of you have been forced to do your own things because of these facts?

I think I will do my own brake shoes too next time.
Brake shoes? I thought you had a modern bike? Please make a Pegassus guide to maintenance thread. You bring us joy Peggy.

I need one of these but it has to go to ~ 230 psi , these ones top out at 160

31Q8%2B7yqSNL._AC_.jpg

I need one of these but it has to go to ~ 230 psi , these ones top out at 160

31Q8%2B7yqSNL._AC_.jpg
Just put a check valve in the line and use a normal air pressure gauge. Make sure you also put a purge valve(or probably two if you are using a check valve).

Just put a check valve in the line and use a normal air pressure gauge. Make sure you also put a purge valve(or probably two if you are using a check valve).
No, no, I want to cut the head off it and JB weld part of an old spark plug on the end of it, you guys inspired me :LOL: I'm trying to build a super cheap compression tester for my Montesa. Needs to go up to like ~190 at least or it's just going to peg out.

I gotta go up a few income brackets before I can send stuff to mechanics constantly. If it's something that requires very specialized tools I will send it in. But generally I do it all myself. It helps to have very helpful friends with garages and tools.

Did head bearings and fork seals at a shop this year and my wallet still hates me for it.
Next time I'll just figure it out myself.

I fully disassembled my top end to get an exhaust stud out at a machine shop. Biggest mechanical job I've ever done. It was really not that hard, just nerve wracking and time consuming

That being said, I went to a shop to ask about Molybdenum-Disulfude grease for my TTY head bolts. They had no idea what I was talking about - Needless to say I am glad I am the one who put my own head on. At least I know what lubricant goes on my head bolts lol. Probably a thousand km on the reassembled head and no uncontained explosions so....

FFS. Just get two. 160X160= 3 something.
too complex and twice the price, I want cheap and elegant :LOL:
otherwise I might just as well order the right thing! where's the fun in that.

how do you like the kawi?

90% loving it. Still struggling with seat comfort. Sciatica is making life unpleasant and the seat (been through 3 now) and my butt are not meshing. I'm hoping I don't need to resort to something like a Russel Daylong as I have other things I'd rather spend $2000 on.

Have we done a Grease thread yet lol

Back
Top Bottom