How many of you guys ride with cameras on your helmets? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How many of you guys ride with cameras on your helmets?

Lane

Had a few close calls last year with people running stop signs and turning into my lane so this year i decided to get a go pro as a safety thing (plus to record some cool things i see on rides). Do any of you guys ride with cameras?

Had a few close calls last year with people running stop signs and turning into my lane so this year i decided to get a go pro as a safety thing (plus to record some cool things i see on rides). Do any of you guys ride with cameras?
Tried it a few years ago, there were a few issues:

1. The audio quality sucks if you place it anywhere near the helmet because wind, so for insurance purposes it might be great, but for vlogging or personal use its no good

2. There have been instances of gopro's on helmets that compromise some of their safety

If I were to use them again, Id get a strap that I can use to tie around my torso, so I can get the bike's audio more and simultaneously avoid any wind noise

I also found them somewhat distracting from the ride, as often times you're checking the gopro, or worried about the battery life, and end up taking away from the enjoyment of riding itself

Tried it a few years ago, there were a few issues:

1. The audio quality sucks if you place it anywhere near the helmet because wind, so for insurance purposes it might be great, but for vlogging or personal use its no good

2. There have been instances of gopro's on helmets that compromise some of their safety

If I were to use them again, Id get a strap that I can use to tie around my torso, so I can get the bike's audio more and simultaneously avoid any wind noise

I also found them somewhat distracting from the ride, as often times you're checking the gopro, or worried about the battery life, and end up taking away from the enjoyment of riding itself
yeah ive heard wind noise is pretty bad but apparently its not so much of an issue with newer cameras so i guess ill find out when its a little warmer out hopefully next week!

I have an old gopro session that I use on the chin of my helmet. I bought the mount for Ride Tech Moto for my AGV K3sv. Its a low profile, light weight, single button setup. Video quality isn't bad but the battery is only good for like an hour and 15min so enough for both ways of my commute. Sound is **** at speed but it is mainly for insurance and anything cool along the way

You need an external mic to vlog.

For HD video for insurance situations it’s fine.

Cop having a bad day night ticket you for it though.
I’ve been rocking one for years.

I have an old gopro session that I use on the chin of my helmet. I bought the mount for Ride Tech Moto for my AGV K3sv. Its a low profile, light weight, single button setup. Video quality isn't bad but the battery is only good for like an hour and 15min so enough for both ways of my commute. Sound is **** at speed but it is mainly for insurance and anything cool along the way
yeah i also got a mount from there for my agv k1! Just waiting for it to come in the mail unfortunately.

You need an external mic to vlog.

For HD video for insurance situations it’s fine.

Cop having a bad day night ticket you for it though.
I’ve been rocking one for years.
yeah not really looking to vlog stuff since wiring a mic up would be a pain in the ass and cause im a lazy **** lol. Also is it illegal to have a cam on your helmet? Never heard of anyone (from who i know) that got a ticket for it.

yeah not really looking to vlog stuff since wiring a mic up would be a pain in the ass and cause im a lazy **** lol. Also is it illegal to have a cam on your helmet? Never heard of anyone (from who i know) that got a ticket for it.
Nah but cops don't like cameras, accountability, evidence and all that
(Crazy videos by nutjobs on Facebook don't count)

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Nah but cops don't like cameras, accountability, evidence and all that
(Crazy videos by nutjobs on Facebook don't count)

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
that makes more sense. Thankfully ive never gotten pulled over once since ive been gotten my drivers license back in high school lol. Hoping to keep that streak going!

If it's just for traffic logging, you might want to mount a nose camera. My buddy has a lipstick camera permanently mounted up front hooked up to the battery and keyed to the ignition. When it powers on, it instantly starts recording and stops when it's powered off. Will re-write over old video files, so it always keeps the last 64GB or 128 GB or whatever size SD card you have installed.

You don't get to pan around like you do with a helmet cam, but on the other hand you never have to worry about taking it off and on between rides.

Giving a cop a reason to pull you over will often lead to extras. A mohawk on your lid will lead to an obstructed plate, loud exhaust, no insurance slip etc etc.
Don't give them a reason to pull you over... Easy.

I ride with GoPro, not on helmet, but attached to the handlebars to the left of the windscreen. USB continuously powered and large SD card, I can record my whole day without losing power. The only problem is I cannot pan, but so far it has worked out well. It does pick up wind noise but for me the images are more of interest, so the next problem is bug splatter!

I used to ride with GoPro's but found that all my spectacular get-offs occurred while filming. No filming = no bikey drop.

Asides from the fact that I spend hours editing videos and worldwide only 3 people watch them, makes it a better use of my time and money to just enjoy the ride and ride defensibly.

Last edited:
I have a knockoff GoPro that I hate with a passion. It worked fine, until the one ride where I really really really really needed it to work - summer of 2018 when I was out west. I had the most incredible ride down the full length of Iron Mountain Road. Hardly any bikes in my way, the ones that were moved over, I carved it up and loved every second of it. Couldn't wait to see the footage later that day while back at camp.

It recorded 60 seconds and had apparently stopped. :mad:

Anyhow, as for using one as a dashcam, several problems from my perspective:

- Gotta take it off all the time if you have it mounted on your bike otherwise it's a theft risk.
- Gotta get power to it constantly if you're riding a long day.
- Gotta have it in the waterproof case otherwise forgetting it during one accidental rainstorm = it's screwed.

A friend with a Goldwing just bought a purpose designed motorcycle dashcam that stays permanently mounted on his bike and records in a loop to an SD Card in the base-unit mounted under his seat or something. Hardwired in. Seems to make more sense to me.

Commuted with a go pro session for the last 5 years, never an issue with the cops- and I've been pulled over for other stuff I was doing but no care about the camera.

i ride with small actions cameras mounted to the front of my bike and back. audio is pretty garbage because of wind but i really only use it for the “action” part of its purpose anyways. you know, insurance purposes, smoking the ricers and burning the odd cop?

Keep in mind that if you ride with friends, not everyone wants to be recorded.
no expectation of privacy in public, tough cookies!

riding with friends would probably negate the reason to turn it on (for accident situations)

Back
Top Bottom