How many KM is too much? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How many KM is too much?

depends on year and maintenance history. My 86 YX600 is about to turn over 58000 kms and it still runs great other than the leaky gaskets...

Anything outside of the first 1000 break in kms is asking for trouble.
Buy new, sell it as soon as you hit 1000 kms, repeat as needed.

By the time you hit your first oil change, it's probably too late...

What kind of bike are we talking about? As long as the bike has been properly maintained, that's all that really matters. Personally, I'd prefer to buy a bike, which is under 5 yrs old and has less than 20K on it, but those are my personal preferences and have nothing to do with high mileage. My first bike had 20-something K and was 5 yrs old, my 2nd and current bike had 13K on it and was also 5 yrs old when I bought it.

I understand a funny sarcastic jab in the general section, but maybe keep the new rider section inviting and free to ask any questions (stupid or not).

In other words keep the 4Chan-esque replies out.

By the time you hit your first oil change, it's probably too late...

What kind of bike are we talking about? As long as the bike has been properly maintained, that's all that really matters. Personally, I'd prefer to buy a bike, which is under 5 yrs old and has less than 20K on it, but those are my personal preferences and have nothing to do with high mileage. My first bike had 20-something K and was 5 yrs old, my 2nd and current bike had 13K on it and was also 5 yrs old when I bought it.

Just looking at the used motorcycle section on Kijiji I would say the 250cc range and one of the hyosung(sp?), cbr, or ninja. So that's a good general rule of thumb I should follow? Under 5yrs/20k? I seen some older ones like '00 but had about 40-50k clicks, very tempting with the offered price but I assume it would lead to a lot of mechanical problems in the future, in which I'm not sure how much repairs usually range on bikes.

Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I understand a funny sarcastic jab in the general section, but maybe keep the new rider section inviting and free to ask any questions (stupid or not).

What the hell did you expect? Stupid questions get stupid answers.

Sarcasm-free reply: Have you ever heard of someone deciding to get rid of their vehicle based on a specific mileage target? "At 100 000 km the car will be too old, I have to sell it by then". That would be dumb, just as it's dumb to think there's a magical odo number that tells you when a bike is unfit to be purchased.

I still prefer my sarcastic answer.

This is the best answer you will get:

It all depends on the maintenance. I have had bikes with over 50,000km that were in better shape then ones with less then 8000km.

A Japanese or German bike with up to 60,000 kms or so would not cause me any concerns. It's easy to get over 100,000 trouble free on one. No comment on American or Italian as I have no experience.

Personally, I'm more worried about a bike that is several years old with very few kilometres on it. Motorcycles sitting doing nothing is not the best situation.

And yeah, when you spend so much time thoughtfully crafting your intial question, you can assume some fairly crappy results.

I think its a fair question, one that I am contemplating as well. On a 250cc dual sport bike a few years old with 10,000km on it - is that a lot or is it just getting broken in? Obviously maintenance is very important but even with routine maintenance a car will typically need a lot more attention at 200k than 75k. I think what the OP and myself want to know is where is that "sweet spot" where a bike has depreciated a bunch but still has a lot of useful life and low maintenance in it.

Sure every one has stories of the mega mile bike or car (or trashed low miler) but this is usually more of the exception than the rule.

I just traded for a 50cc Hyosung scooter with 5600 km on it and it seems in good shape, and other than a dead battery from being stored for the last 2 seasons it probably needs a service. I must add that It started on the second kick and seemed to pull OK when I drove it uphill on my test ride. keeping my fingers crossed. Mileage is like the age of a woman, it doesn't tell the whole story, if you are unsure get someone who has been around bikes for a while as they can probably spot the little details that us noobs wouldn't, and listen to not only what the person selling it is telling you but how they are saying it, best of luck.

Personally, I'm more worried about a bike that is several years old with very few kilometres on it. Motorcycles sitting doing nothing is not the best situation.

Yup, this especially.
I see tons of 06-07 SS with only 15k on them. It most likely has the original fluids in them from 6-7 years ago and possibly the original stock tires.

depends on year and maintenance history. My 86 YX600 is about to turn over 58000 kms and it still runs great other than the leaky gaskets...

Do you still ride your radian? I've got mine about 2 month ago, and may have some questions. IMO leaky gaskets is a typical issue for them.

Do you still ride your radian? I've got mine about 2 month ago, and may have some questions. IMO leaky gaskets is a typical issue for them.

It's my daily ride. You have one too?

Sent from my GT-I9100

typically depends on 2 things: maintenance (or lack there of) and how hard the motor has been worked. The seconds you will never know, the first you can get a pretty good idea talking to the individual.

I have an 08 CBR 1k at 43k, strong as ever, could easily see it doing 80-100k without issue. On a ~500 ish bike, 60-80 would be high IMO, on a 250, 50k +. By nature of the displacement, it is probable that a 250 spent more of its life at high rev's than a 1000 on the street. Everyones opinion is different on this. If it's your first bike, don't worry about mileage or aesthetics too much, chances are your going to drop it.

Back
Top Bottom