How Long Does a Motorcycle Battery Usually Last? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Long Does a Motorcycle Battery Usually Last?

NightShark

Hey everyone,

I have a 04 ZX-10R and I purchased a brand new Yuasa battery about 2 years ago. Since the end of fall of last year, I've been having troubles starting the bike and would have to boost it to get it going. It never stalled out on me, just only when I shut it off and let it sit for a bit.

I have an Optimate battery tender that I keep on it through out the year.. If I know I'm going to let it sit for more than a day, I put it on. I keep it on the bike all winter.

I tried to start my bike up the other day and I had the tender on it for a couple months so it should have a full charge but I tried to start it and it was completely dead.

I guess I have a few questions here.

1) how long does a motorcycle battery usually last? I feel my 2 years with it is a bit short.

2) could it have been my tender that killed the battery somehow?

3) I may have a draw on the bike or something that could be draining power consistently, would that affect the battery life even if I keep it on a tender to maintain it all the time?

Thanks for the help guys.

I find 2 yrs is all they last before they start being trouble some. Rd has really inexpensive battery's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I had the same bike and treated the battery the same as you have been. My second battery was still going after 6-7 years.

A properly charged and maintained battery should last many years. My first battery lasted 5 years and the second for 2 months. Glen from Flying Squirrels diagnosed the 'quick die' problem right away. The initial charge was messed up. After the acid is added you're supposed to wait at least half hour (or more? read the manual!!) before charging. The CT battery guys didn't know this but did replace the battery no charge. I initialized battery myself and it's fine now.

I've got a Yuasa in my 929 that is at least 9 years old. Cold cranking it seems to struggle, but in the summer months its still fine.

2 years seems pretty sad for a battery.

you should check the voltage charging the battery at idle & at partial throttle. Use a multimeter.

Best to check that you don't have a charging problem.

A lot of people figure after they've got 3 seasons out of the battery it doesn't owe them anything, so they replace it. Some get more, but then as the OP said it may lead to disappointment.

3) I may have a draw on the bike or something that could be draining power consistently, would that affect the battery life even if I keep it on a tender to maintain it all the time?

Depending on the draw, it might be greater than the tender provides. If you aren't confident checking current use with a multimeter, you might want to disconnect the battery when not in use and see if you have the same problem.

I guess I should ask this first before I go any further with my investigation. Are the Yuasa batteries maintenance free? I'm used to buying seal and maintenance free car batteries so I never really even thought that this battery might actually need maintenance (adding fluid to the cells).

I guess I should ask this first before I go any further with my investigation. Are the Yuasa batteries maintenance free? I'm used to buying seal and maintenance free car batteries so I never really even thought that this battery might actually need maintenance (adding fluid to the cells).

Is it heavy as hell? Chances are that if it is it runs on acid. Check the fluid levels on the side of the battery. If its a little low, top up on ONLY distilled water.

Do NOT empty out the liquids from the battery.

I left a dying Yuasa battery (about 6 years old) on a Yuasa tender for a couple years (just out of curiosity), and it seems to have come back to life. Holds a charge very well.

I had thought that all Yuasa motorcycle batteries were maintenance free

YT12B-BS.jpg

2009 Ninja 250 (was already on road in 2008) stock battery - never seen a tender, or never got off the bike. No issues whatsoever.

I have 0 mods that interfere with electrical stuff though. I think that helps to maintain.

I usually get at least five years out of a bike battery. Proper care, i.e. removal during the winter and storage on a wood bench at room temperature with trickle charge every so often helps. If a battery lasts five years with no problems I consider it to have served me well and will replace it. The cost for a replacement battery is not that much and it is better than being stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

Most of my batteries for cars & bikes last for 10yrs if properly maintained, ie. don't let it sit there for too long "uncharged"

Uncharged batteries lead to sulfation. I've had a few that go bad that way in my car. If parked & never driven, the small draw runs the battery dry.

I have a battery on my present bike for ~3yrs now. My bike is wired up with heated vests, accessory lights & GPS.
I never put on the lights on my bike without switching the ignition on

I left a dying Yuasa battery (about 6 years old) on a Yuasa tender for a couple years (just out of curiosity), and it seems to have come back to life. Holds a charge very well.

I had thought that all Yuasa motorcycle batteries were maintenance free

YT12B-BS.jpg

This could be the reason:
http://www.roperld.com/science/batterysulfation.htm

Hope the technical stuff doesn't bore you.

Oh yes, OP, I've found that most trickle chargers boil the acid off. I've normally just take the battery off my bike & just charge it again in January. I never leave it on the bike. Just a suggestion

Last edited:
Question... Regarding batteries does it affect the fact that people use the kill switch to turn off the engine rather than the key?

Question... Regarding batteries does it affect the fact that people use the kill switch to turn off the engine rather than the key?

I won't think it matter too much. But I prefer to use the keys on my bike. When killswitch is applied, the headlights are still on, meaning its drawing power from the battery.

I like my battery always topped up

I was hoping something like that would happen.
I'm curious to see how long my reconditioned battery will last now.
(i always keep it on the trickle charger)

This could be the reason:
http://www.roperld.com/science/batterysulfation.htm

Hope the technical stuff doesn't bore you.

Oh yes, OP, I've found that most trickle chargers boil the acid off. I've normally just take the battery off my bike & just charge it again in January. I never leave it on the bike. Just a suggestion

As far as I know an intelligent charger/maintainer shouldn't boil off anything -- it simply monitors the battery and if the power level drops it trickles enough power back into the battery to put it to 100%. With that said, I do recall hearing about some trickle chargers that always send a preset voltage to the battery, which could lead to issues over time.

As far as I know an intelligent charger/maintainer shouldn't boil off anything -- it simply monitors the battery and if the power level drops it trickles enough power back into the battery to put it to 100%. With that said, I do recall hearing about some trickle chargers that always send a preset voltage to the battery, which could lead to issues over time.

i heard that too.

my Yuasa tender is supposed to be a "smart charger", just trickling in a current to top off as needed, occassionally pulsing in a wave form to condition the battery. the instructions stated it can be left on the battery indefinitely

Back
Top Bottom