How Long Can Economic Reality Be Ignored? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Long Can Economic Reality Be Ignored?

Travel a little

I had thought about quitting back in June and just riding for 3 or 4 months but I already had a trip booked to Ireland in July.

I'll see if I can get another year out of it. I'll be 55 then so it will be pretty much time to retire.

The thing that pisses me off is that our company is sending its manufacturing jobs to Vancouver. Clearly Christy Clarke had a better handle on things and can actually attract business. It a pity she didn't run for the Federal Liberals

I had thought about quitting back in June and just riding for 3 or 4 months but I already had a trip booked to Ireland in July.

I'll see if I can get another year out of it. I'll be 55 then so it will be pretty much time to retire.

The thing that pisses me off is that our company is sending its manufacturing jobs to Vancouver. Clearly Christy Clarke had a better handle on things and can actually attract business. It a pity she didn't run for the Federal Liberals

No offense, but good luck affording to live there.

no doubt, instant,

And anyone who uses childish names to describe politicians as part of a political discussion instantly loses credibility in my books...this isn't grade 5.

meanwhile

Always use critical thinking and look for the other side of the story.

and if you may be struggling

Go get the easiest position possible with the least amount of effort (temp agency), get stuck in dead end job, complain. Do nothing to better ones position. Complain. Get stuck in rut, complain some more about how there's "no good jobs out there".

and further

so people return to the vicious "my job sucks, bad pay, no future, there's no good jobs out there!" rut.

why?

There ARE good paying jobs out there and many of them don't even need a whole lot of formal education - the trades, for example....but yeah, that requires some effort and commitment to actually getting that little bit of education

message?! no excuses folks ..you can't have it both ways

Last edited:
No offense, but good luck affording to live there.

It depends where they set up Shop, my company just moved me back from Vancouver.

If your talking about Vancouver proper, East Burnaby or Richmond Housing prices are nuts at the moment but you are not going to set up a manufacturing plant there. Most new companies are setting up shop into Langley, Surrey, Port Coquiltam which is a lot more reasonable.

Granted, housing is more expensive there, gas is a few cents more, but other things are much cheaper like insurance, food, property tax. I paid $2300 taxes in Kits, now I'm paying $7800 in Oakville and the Oakville house is worth a lot less. I paid $1400 insurance for a bike and 2 cars there, here I'm paying $3800.

Sorry. I think I got you confused:) They didn't move people there. They laid them off and hired locals in BC and NY.

Ew.

I can also vouch for GOOD, permanent jobs being available. I work for a municipality, and there are always job postings. I know everyone likes to poo-poo on the public service for our benefits, pension, etc. But why not just APPLY for a job there instead of complaining about how good others have it?
Mind telling me what municipality is that? Pm me if you wish. When I was looking for jobs, I applied to alot of government jobs & no reply. A few interviews I went to there was about 200 people. No joke. Not that easy as you think

Mind telling me what municipality is that? Pm me if you wish. When I was looking for jobs, I applied to alot of government jobs & no reply. A few interviews I went to there was about 200 people. No joke. Not that easy as you think

Never said it was easy, it's a process. I went through it too.

workers here have been shafted (..to say the least) big time, hence, the inevitable trump burns' show up to rock status quo

Last edited:
Western societies ignore some of the most horrific truths multiple times a day, and I'm referring to things we have full control over (presuming we have full control over our minds), so it's really no wonder when something we have very little control over is ignored.

Last edited:
Never said it was easy, it's a process. I went through it too.

So then, would you advise getting in line @ 200-1 odds on a regular basis or maybe a different tact for people with time/energy management concerns?

So then, would you advise getting in line @ 200-1 odds on a regular basis or maybe a different tact for people with time/energy management concerns?

The key is to make yourself stand out from the rest, then your odds will start shifting.

The odds when I went in for my interviews for my current position was 500+ to 1, where I didn't go to school for the field I applied for. Sure, a bit of luck was involved, but being different from the other applicants is what makes you stand out of the hundreds seen. When speaking to HR the following year, they say it was mostly my personality and the way that I presented myself that got me the job (alongside a bit of experience).

Generally speaking (obviously depending on the job), they want to hire people that they can work with and can handle their responsibilities.

After going to a few interviews, I gained confidence in how I spoke and presented myself as an easy going open person who took care of his responsibilities that could carry out a conversation. The worst thing you can do in an interview to blend in with others and simply answer Yes/No to every question. If that is all you have to say, they could have just sent you a e-mail and said "fill this out". You basically write yourself off..

Admittedly, that's how I handled the first few interviews which didn't turn out well which is why I self-evaluated myself in what I was doing wrong.

Last edited:
It's still better than the lottery, right?

The key is to make yourself stand out from the rest, then your odds will start shifting.

The odds when I went in for my interviews for my current position was 500+ to 1, where I didn't go to school for the field I applied for. Sure, a bit of luck was involved, but being different from the other applicants is what makes you stand out of the hundreds seen. When speaking to HR the following year, they say it was mostly my personality and the way that I presented myself that got me the job (alongside a bit of experience).

Generally speaking (obviously depending on the job), they want to hire people that they can work with and can handle their responsibilities.

After going to a few interviews, I gained confidence in how I spoke and presented myself as an easy going open person who took care of his responsibilities that could carry out a conversation. The worst thing you can do in an interview to blend in with others and simply answer Yes/No to every question. If that is all you have to say, they could have just sent you a e-mail and said "fill this out". You basically write yourself off..

Admittedly, that's how I handled the first few interviews which didn't turn out well which is why I self-evaluated myself in what I was doing wrong.

That's all fine and good but it's still only one position for 500 people who want it and that's an economic reality that can't be ignored. Anyway, high five to your personal success.

Last edited:
That's all fine and good but it's still only one position for 500 people who want it and that economic reality that can't be ignored. Anyway, high five to your personal success.

I think a huge part of it is that of those 500+ people, how many are just mass applying to everything while not meeting the requirements?

There are openings and postings everywhere, taking the path least traveled is usually your best bet. Ie. Applying directly from a company's website through "Careers". It at least shows that effort was put in to directly apply to the company showing more interest rather than the postings on job ad sites.

Big sites with postings will likely see hundreds of applicants and is just a crap shoot of whether they will actually see and consider your application.

Part of this "Economic reality" is that people (mostly those who just come out of school) figure they can find a job with no experience and get paid for an amount that an intermediate/senior is getting paid. I can't even keep track of how many times I've heard people turning down programming jobs because $40k is too little while they have nothing but school experience and expect to start at $55k-60k.

On top of that, there are those that are unemployed and "Would never work in a fast food restaurant or retail" just because they're afraid it'll hurt their image or that it pays too little (while currently making nothing).

Another note is that people tend to limit their search options by choosing something that is 100% directly related to their field and ignore everything else and complaining that the job market sucks, while getting something that is 60% related to your field helps down the road.

An example of this would be Marketing. Why not work retail and be the person that dresses up mannequins at a retail store to get started? People want to jump straight in to a big company with nothing in their portfolio except for school projects (which are commonly ignored).

Last edited:
you and your questions (chatter too)..

if mannequins turn your crank, be my guest & go for it,

even mannequins have a purpose

Last edited:
lemme ask you, what is the question??

fundamentals are, are you payin' attention? or your usual yap yap

here's a hint

[h=2]How Long Can Economic Reality Be Ignored?[/h]

Last edited:

So what you're saying is, it's not what you know but how you blow. Gotcha

Back
Top Bottom