Honda Rebel 500 or latest Gen Sv650 or ??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda Rebel 500 or latest Gen Sv650 or ???

Slono

Hey all, I’ve recently sold my second generation fully faired sv650 and I’m looking for new wheels. I’m interested in hearing the differences between the two bikes as well as the differences between the bike I sold and the third (newest) generation sv650.

My riding preferences have changed a bit after putting tens of thousands of km on my SV as I’ve come to realize I want a standard bike with a *slightly* more relaxed riding position. Top speed isn’t something I care about but being able to accelerate to overtake safely on the highway is.

I’d appreciate any experiences you guys and gals may have on this topic.

Thanks!

Go test out the FZ-07 or FZ-09.

I loved my FZ-07, then eventually went to an FZ-10 for the road.

Super comfortable, can keep up with faster-paced groups, tons of fun engine-wise, super reliable.. I could go on.

If however you feel like going the cruiser route, the Rebel 500 isn't a bad choice.

Go test out the FZ-07 or FZ-09.

I loved my FZ-07, then eventually went to an FZ-10 for the road.

Super comfortable, can keep up with faster-paced groups, tons of fun engine-wise, super reliable.. I could go on.

If however you feel like going the cruiser route, the Rebel 500 isn't a bad choice.

Is the rebel 500 a cruiser or more of a standard? I couldn’t actually tell.

I sold my SV650N last year for a CB500X. If its just a standard your looking for, the new SV650 is a good choice or even the CB650F.

However if it's long distance comfort and economy, the CB500X is one to test ride. Getting close to 450km a tank, not getting cramps on long rides, or tired from the wind on hwys, and the butter smooth clutch (2019 have the slipper clutch, even easier) means not having a sore hand after a week of traffic commuting, maybe was just my SV, though it had one stiff clutch.

Rebel has the same engine as the CB500X I believe, no issues with over taking on the hwy. Only thing I couldn't stand was the stock exhaust, sounded like a sewing machine, got a Scorpion Serket, and night and day diff, not loud, yet has character.

I recently got a cb500x and it's plenty of power to overtake highway speeds, cheap on gas and insurance. For a younger guy like myself it's the perfect package. If I could afford it, I'd go sv though!

Did you have the SV with clipons or the handlebar? The difference between ergos on that was pretty drastic I've found. The FZ is a peppier engine, and much faster depending on which size you get. The Rebel is a cruiser for sure, much more relaxed, you may be cramped if you are a taller individual (sit on one at one of the 100s of Honda dealers around, they're nice)
The Scout would be awesome if it's in your price range. The Yamaha Bolt otherwise maybe.
CB500 series everything looks dandy.
I am curious what you get to.
Also are you uninsured right now then? I would be worried about that "discontinuous riding insurance" though, any reason they can gouge you...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Have you looked at the Ducati scrambler? I think it is easy to get a test ride on one, would be a good comparison bike.

CBR500R is nice, ergo's are nowhere near as aggressive as my MV, lol so many choices.

If you like the Rebel 500 I would take a hard look at a Yamaha Bolt. I’m not sure the Rebel would be enough bike for you coming off an SV650.

The Honda 500 series of bikes are great. Be prepared for a pretty big power difference, an SV650 makes 50% more torque and 80% more HP. If you liked the SV but like more and comfortable ergos, try the Versys or Vstrom, they have about the same grunt but a much more comfortable seating position. They will also be about the same in terms of performance as the SV.

I've got the Rebel 500 and in all honesty while it's a nice bike...it leaves a lot to be desired. It's just … there. Not sure how else to describe it.
I'm actually debating selling it and getting something else that's a bit more lively...or more suitable for my style of riding (more similar to the CB500X.

Scouts are excellent if in the budget. Nice HD Sportser 883/1200 can be had for $4k.
Street Triple, Tiger 800, Hyperstrada, Monster, Vstrom, Duke, Z750 Kawi, GSX750, etc.

I've got the Rebel 500 and in all honesty while it's a nice bike...it leaves a lot to be desired. It's just … there. Not sure how else to describe it.
I'm actually debating selling it and getting something else that's a bit more lively...or more suitable for my style of riding (more similar to the CB500X.
Uninspiring is the word I think you might be searching for. Sometimes uninspiring is a good thing but not usually in a motorcycle.

Uninspiring is the word I think you might be searching for. Sometimes uninspiring is a good thing but not usually in a motorcycle.
That is exactly the word that I’m looking for...thank you!
Don’t get me wrong it’s a great bike....but it’s just there....maybe I’m just not ready for cruiser life.

That's why I suggested test ride a Ducati Scrambler ;)

Hey all, I’ve recently sold my second generation fully faired sv650 and I’m looking for new wheels. I’m interested in hearing the differences between the two bikes as well as the differences between the bike I sold and the third (newest) generation sv650.

My riding preferences have changed a bit after putting tens of thousands of km on my SV as I’ve come to realize I want a standard bike with a *slightly* more relaxed riding position. Top speed isn’t something I care about but being able to accelerate to overtake safely on the highway is.

I’d appreciate any experiences you guys and gals may have on this topic.

Thanks!

Visordown has a good comparison of old vs. new (3rd gen) SV650 (Long-term review: Suzuki SV650 old v new)

I picked up a new 2019 SV650 earlier this month. My thoughts:
  • Low seat height makes it more cramped in the legs but still completely comfortable for me at 5'10".
  • The seat is uncomfortable. At 2 hours I'm done. I think it is a downgrade over the old SV. Corbin makes a seat that looks good and comes highly recommended by others but is expensive.
  • Throttle response is jerky at low revs (I hear that it's common old gen or new gen). Lots of torque down low to blast away from traffic lights. The engine is punchy. Perfectly linear throttle response at mid to high revs.
  • Windblast doesn't bother me much, but it might be something to consider if you're used to the fully faired SV.
  • The gearbox is flawless.
  • The front brakes on the 2019s are new four-piston brakes (the website is not correct). They are definitely an improvement over the old two-piston brakes (2018 and earlier). I don't feel like I need any more braking power on this bike.
  • The suspension is budget and more on the sporty side than relaxed. Feels OK and not too much brake dive. It's miles away from the suspension on a GSXR for example. For everyday riding, it works just fine.
  • I like the display. Simple and clear.
  • The bike is built to a price point and it shows. Exposed wiring, hoses, that radiator, massive exhaust, lights etc...
  • But who cares about all that... It's a blast to ride!
  • In summary:
    • Good: engine, gearbox, brakes (2019), reliability
    • Bad: seat, built to a price point

I used to own the Ducati Scrambler. My thoughts in comparison to the SV:
  • Overall fit and finish is better on the Ducati. Somehow it feels like a more mature bike than the SV.
  • The gearbox took a few thousand kms to bed in and feel smooth. Even then, I definitely prefer Suzuki gearboxes over Ducati ones.
  • The brakes are great.
  • The suspension was OK. Didn't like the dive on harder braking up front.
  • The air-cooled engine runs hot. Especially on hot and humid days, I found the heat bothersome... The 800cc is worse than the 400cc.
  • I didn't like the high and wide handlebars on the Sixty2. The lower handlebars on the Full Throttle worked better. The Desert Sled ergos were good too - lots of legroom on that.
  • For an expensive bike, the footpegs across the range are garbage - very slippery when wet :sneaky: an easy swap but worth mentioning
  • 17" front wheel on the Cafe Racer, 18" front wheel on most across the Scrambler range, 19" on the Desert Sled. Something to consider for tire choices / riding style.
  • No fuel gauge or gear indicator until 2019 I believe.
  • People like the Scramblers. Lots of thumbs ups, comments, pics from the general public. No one seems to care about the SV... :)
  • In summary:
    • Good: looks, fit & finish / build quality, simplicity
    • Bad: gearbox, runs hot, footpegs

Take Trials' device - Try the Scrambler. I had it as a review bike for the last two years, it is hella fun.

I call it my Ducati Davidson.

I ended up buying a 2017 SV650 with 6400km on it. It’s a friggen BLAST and didn’t break the bank (much).

9e925fb4d752d40df43c6611c20f8da2.jpg
d22a13a73a0c96e5d7e5be25de35f524.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, these ones are comfy with the upright ergos and handlebars instead of the clipons, great do it all bike

Back
Top Bottom