Holy Balls... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Holy Balls...

The lesson from this....add engineers' daughters to the list of daughters not to F with, including farmers' and Alaskan governers'

Those buggers arent bikers or their would leave the bikers alone. I love loud pipes.

Why should the doctors, dentists and accountants be left alone?

I can't say I completely disagree with these noise violations and technology to fine people for it. I think excessively lout vehicles should be fined in specific areas. And this is not because I run stock pipes, but straight pipes and excessive reving are extremely annoying in residential neighbourhoods. I say anything about 106db is way too loud. 106db is equivently to race exhaust systems.

Why should the doctors, dentists and accountants be left alone?

For the same reasons the hooligans, ginos and etc etc other associated sportbike stereotypes should be left alone. One thing you should know about Cat, when she says "bikers" she means anyone who rides on 2 wheels and not your narrow minded reference of the world.

Oh...I own a Harley and am none of the things you mentioned. Last time I checked, Gummiente wasn't either. But he may have a surgery bay installed on his semi I'm unaware of.

Bye, have a beautiful time.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Noise+Snare+ready+muffle+Calgary+bikers/5702613/story.html

Cue the incoming Harley jokes. But that's freakin insane.

Wonder if Ontario will scream "photo radar" on this one? Probably not.

We can have so much fun with on of these right off camera

ss0.jpg

For the same reasons the hooligans, ginos and etc etc other associated sportbike stereotypes should be left alone. One thing you should know about Cat, when she says "bikers" she means anyone who rides on 2 wheels and not your narrow minded reference of the world.

Oh...I own a Harley and am none of the things you mentioned. Last time I checked, Gummiente wasn't either. But he may have a surgery bay installed on his semi I'm unaware of.

Bye, have a beautiful time.

Thank you :)

They can install one of those babies right at the end of my street. There are some dudes around the corner with large displacement V twins that party in one guys driveway till 2am then need to roll hard on the throttle so we all know they are leaving. At least two nights all summer and every saturday afternoon.
And that punk assed kid with the civic with the deluxe fartcan exhaust that needs to troll around in 1st gear at 6,000 rpm can get ticketed two.
Thats right, I'm old. Gonna stand there is my white shoes and point and laugh.

No issue, pull in the clutch and let off the throttle.
I'm assuming it hAs a laser range finder so it can get your db level at a certain distance and with taking in atmospheric conditions it will figure out how loud you would be at the parameters of the real test.

No issue, pull in the clutch and let off the throttle.
I'm assuming it hAs a laser range finder so it can get your db level at a certain distance and with taking in atmospheric conditions it will figure out how loud you would be at the parameters of the real test.

Thats an awfully big assumption. It could make it better/more useful, but there is no mention of that anywhere. I hope to god the round thing in the picture is a GPS antenna and not the mic he is using for this system. Unless he is using a proper sound level meter everything about this becomes complete garbage.

http://www.snrsystems.com/products.htm

As an aside, at these short distance atmospheric attenuation doesn't matter but distance matters a lot.

As an aside, at these short distance atmospheric attenuation doesn't matter but distance matters a lot.

It could be set to trigger at whatever distance, measure the sound wave pressure coming from your vehicle and convert that to dB independent of distance, maybe.. then you'd have to be much more careful. Whatever way they do accomplish it, seems like there would be a large margin of error; what if another loud car was in the area at the time you triggered it? I don't know if a directional mic would be able to distinguish that

It could be set to trigger at whatever distance, measure the sound wave pressure coming from your vehicle and convert that to dB independent of distance, maybe.. then you'd have to be much more careful. Whatever way they do accomplish it, seems like there would be a large margin of error; what if another loud car was in the area at the time you triggered it? I don't know if a directional mic would be able to distinguish that
Two big concepts here, sound pressure (measured by a sound level meter at a distance) and sound power (total sound energy produced by a source). Sound power is what should be regulated, but to simplify the test to make it practical, current standards use sound pressure at a set distance, direction and engine speed. Regulating sound pressure levels without specifying a distance or direction is mostly politics and not based on science.

The current system will have a bias for giving tickets to vehicles closer to the sytem, vehicles moving away from the system and vehicles operating at higher rpm. Even with stock vehicles and mufflers, redlining them would likely exceed any currently established noise limits. This is the point Rob has been making about this whole mess being easily destroyed in court. Also there is a whole near-field vs far-field problem that is not accounted for here, basically anything travelling within a few lanes of the system can have problems with the measurement (distance correction will not work if you are too close).

Off the top of my head, there are a few ways to improve this, none of which are mentioned by either the news or the creators website, so I doubt they are included. All of the below systems can help take distance and direction out of the equation, but without an engine speed correction, this whole system is destined for the garbage bin.

1)Array of microphones could use beamforming to pick out a specific car and calculate it's distance (disadvantages -expensive, a pain to setup, would be influenced by other noises in direction of beam (ie cars in other lanes along the same line).
2)Rangefinder plus current system. Cheaper than system one but influenced by any noise in surrounding area.
3)Probably the best compromise is multiple microphones to form a beam perpendicular to the road, the beam never moves and a rangefinder determines which lane the closest vehicle is in. To work properly this whole mess should be mounted on a fence or some other surface back from the road or it is destined to fail.
4)The best system would use multiple radar/rangefinder/beamforming systems to individually track cars (picture air traffic management) and try to calculate the contribution of each vehicle, but damn would it be hard to get working properly.

The idea isn't bad, but there are trying to do way too much with way to little here (and charging $200K for a system that could be build for less than a 10th of that). I just hope people realize the amount of fail before some city blows taxpayer dollars on this.

Last edited:

Nope, just a sleeper cab with a bunk. I do have a box of Band-Aids, though, for emergencies.

i like the idea if it was only used on cars with loud music vibratrating out of them

If they are measuring A-Weighted sound levels (most likely as it's the most common descriptor used and reasonably closely related to human perception), that super annoying pounding bass will probably not be that bad numerically as their is a huge correction at low frequencies (~-40dB at 31 Hz).

The idea of noise enforcement is good, this automated system is nowhere near complicated enough to deal with it. A person doing enforcement is much more capable of picking out the annoying sources (pounding bass, gino mufflers, ss bikes with GP exhausts etc.) and would be much more effective (if the people pulled over to get the ticket and didn't run).

Back
Top Bottom