Hit and run on my parked bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit and run on my parked bike

QVBD

After driving home from work today, there was a note in my mailbox from a neighbour saying that she witnessed a truck knock over my parked bike. She and another person picked the bike back up and "is certain" got the license plate and a vague description of the vehicle. Side stand is f'ed up (very low lean now), left mirror is barely hanging on, the clutch lever and left peg is banged up, left frame slider is MIA, the steering lock was engaged but is now loose and there was a disc lock alarm, which likely damaged other parts when the bike was dropped and picked up. I called insurance and have a file started.

My questions:

1. I have to take it to a collision reporting center and think it's still ride-able. If not, can I take photos? The office was closed and I prefer not to pay to tow it there then to a shop.
2. Has anyone else experienced this? What was your outcome? I'll know in a couple of days if my premium changes and what's covered, which is messed up. I'll probably have to pay a deductible but am pretty annoyed since I wasn't even riding it.
3. F this truck driver. Apparently, the collision reporting center could identify the owner. I would love to speak with them. WWYD?

do you have collision coverage?
if so, you are likely insured for a hit and run
not an at-fault claim

call the cops and insurance company ASAP
provide all the details from your witnesses

don't wait for a collision center to open
get a police report number for the insurance

the more time goes by the less likely this will go your way

I would like to get a motorcycle tire and roll that in mud and then roll it up the front of the truck across the windshield and over the top all the way to the back, then leave a note on his window saying 'Sorry I ran over your stupid truck.'

1) --Call police, get police report done.
2) --Report to collision centre.
3) --Inform insurance company.
4) --Go to shop and get estimate on damages, submit to ins. company.
5) --Get screwed by ins. company.
#5 is the truth.

This covered by comprehensive endorsement and not collision endorsement.

Reactions: JFD
This covered by comprehensive endorsement and not collision endorsement.
It depends. If you can prove the hit and run (witness and plate number is hopefully sufficient), it is comp. Otherwise, the insurance company assumed you dumped it and it is an at-fault collision.

I think if bike was stationary, it is not an at-fault accident.

I think its pretty easy to prove it was hit while not being ridden - comprehensive would cover this, not collision. IF you're going to make a claim, i'd ensure that the other person who witnessed and got the info is going to witness for you, and verify that the info they have is legit. Then go to collision reporting and get the paperwork. Then call insurance and go from there.

Is the damage less than your deductible?

Is the damage less than your deductible?
I can't see that happening. Damage to the steering lock alone probably means there is a lot more screwed up than the OP's list (things like bars bent, forks need realigned, scratches in paint, was it the pin or the frame that was damaged in the fall, etc)

Really sorry to hear about this situation and I feel your pain. The culprit leaving the scene without leaving any sort of note or contact information shows an egregious lack of empathy.

"#3. F this truck driver. .." I felt exactly the same years ago when a delivery truck hit and damaged my ride (a car) parked on the street while I was at work. I was furious the driver simply took-off without leaving a note or anything.

Marcus Aurelius' meditations come to mind and can help us deal with stressful situations like these:

The Evil That Men Do Harms You Only if You Do Evil in Response. Do not be upset by the misdeeds of others. Just accept it. In reacting to such people, we must never allow our own principles to be violated. Moreover, we should never be surprised by the wicked deeds of others, and avoid wishing that men are not as they are (prone to evil acts) because then we are wishing for the impossible. People do bad things out of ignorance of what is good and evil, and that we should forgive them for their errors, even when they harm us. Read more

My bike was hit head on in a parking lot at work. The driver jumped the concrete parking barrier surrounding the motorcycle parking area and wham. the bike was caught between the car and a steel railing. Very obvious damage was smashed rear rim. The problem was I couldn't tell if the frame was bent, forks screwed up, etc.

Anyhow, The insurance adjuster stated it was too risky to ride the bike and the bike was deemed a write-off. My insurance didn't go up.
Something to keep in mind. The driver stayed, the police were on scene. It was a legit accident. A hit and run, you might get extra scrutiny

Really sorry to hear about this situation and I feel your pain. The culprit leaving the scene without leaving any sort of note or contact information shows an egregious lack of empathy.

"#3. F this truck driver. .." I felt exactly the same years ago when a delivery truck hit and damaged my ride (a car) parked on the street while I was at work. I was furious the driver simply took-off without leaving a note or anything.

Marcus Aurelius' meditations come to mind and can help us deal with stressful situations like these:

The Evil That Men Do Harms You Only if You Do Evil in Response. Do not be upset by the misdeeds of others. Just accept it. In reacting to such people, we must never allow our own principles to be violated. Moreover, we should never be surprised by the wicked deeds of others, and avoid wishing that men are not as they are (prone to evil acts) because then we are wishing for the impossible. People do bad things out of ignorance of what is good and evil, and that we should forgive them for their errors, even when they harm us. Read more

Eff all that noise!

No disrespect to you @D-J don't take this personal i respect your and everyone's opinion, but there are so much scum on this planet that quotes as mentioned above are the reason most get away with all the **** they do.

Didn't someone famous also say "Revenge is a dish best served cold" :D ;)

Yes, I have collision coverage and my deductible is $500. I'm not sure of the extent of the damage -the twisted sidestep could just be loose or it could have bent the frame. Ditto the handlebars when it dropped. I'm taking it in to the Collision Reporting Center tomorrow -a rep called me back yesterday and said it was ok due to C19. Hopefully, they can track this piece of work down and charge him with hit and run. Will keep you guys posted.

happened to my wifes bike, took witnesses note with plate number to police station, THEY called the plate owner and said "did you hit a parked motorbike at location XXX ??" "we have your plate and a witness" , guy offered to pay for repairs as it was in the eyes of the officer a hit and run. I have no idea if hit and run applied but the officer was very helpful (liked bikes) and we got $1,700. for repairs.
Do the police report ASAP, your mileage may vary.

Still waiting for insurance to get back to me but I took it to my dealership and the repairs should be less than my deductible. I spoke with the officer at the Collision Reporting Centre and she said that there's very low chance of the guy getting charged. So I can pay for someone to damage my bike or try to get insurance to go after him and raise my premiums. Love the insurance industry!

Didn't someone famous also say "Revenge is a dish best served cold" :D ;)

revenge-dish-cold.jpg

Back
Top Bottom