High Quotes for Ninja 400R on Jevco | GTAMotorcycle.com

High Quotes for Ninja 400R on Jevco

Bender613

I'm 18, had my M2 for over a full year with a clean record and am being quoted $3,211 on a Ninja 400R from Jevco in Ottawa for statutory minimum insurance with fire/theft from two separate brokers.

My quote includes:

Bodily Injury 1M $325
Property Damage 1M $13
Direct Compensation 0 $241
Accident Benefits $2,373
Specified Perils 250 $105
Uninsured Automobile $115
#44 Family Protection 1M $39

Is all of this required for statutory minimum and fire/theft? Aviva is quoting $2,672 but I'm shocked by my Jevco quote since from reading this forum I was under the impression they were almost always the cheapest for young riders.

Edit: I also have passed riders training.

Last edited:
When I was 19, Jevco quoted me over $3500 for a Ninja 250. And that was after my 1 year of being licensed. Now, 2 year licensed I have my Ninja 650R with them for $2800. To me, your quote is reasonable considering your bike and your age.

And riders training doesn't give you any discounts for insurance.

When I was 19, Jevco quoted me over $3500 for a Ninja 250. And that was after my 1 year of being licensed. Now, 2 year licensed I have my Ninja 650R with them for $2800. To me, your quote is reasonable considering your bike and your age.

And riders training doesn't give you any discounts for insurance.

You do get a discount for receiving training through an approved course. (College e.g. Humber, Centennial, Sheridan and most likely RTI). Maybe your insurance company didn't give you a discount. But mine definately did. I saved at least 30% off my first year alone. TD Meloch Monex

As an 18 yo your options are limited. You can reduce your insurance premium but with some personal cost:

Do not buy a new bike. Buy a used Kawi 250 (or other small bike), drop fire/theft and comprehensive. This should reduce your premium by reducing your coverage and benefits.

This is your first bike, not your last. When you are older and therefore more experienced your premiums will be cheaper.

BTW the Kawi 400 is an ideal beginner bike, but it is new and therefore increases your insurance premium. Good bike, wrong province. You could consider moving to Quebec, where the premiums might be lower.

I'm 18, had my M2 for over a full year with a clean record and am being quoted $3,211 on a Ninja 400R from Jevco in Ottawa for statutory minimum insurance with fire/theft from two separate brokers.

My quote includes:

Bodily Injury 1M $325
Property Damage 1M $13
Direct Compensation 0 $241
Accident Benefits $2,373
Specified Perils 250 $105
Uninsured Automobile $115
#44 Family Protection 1M $39

Is all of this required for statutory minimum and fire/theft? Aviva is quoting $2,672 but I'm shocked by my Jevco quote since from reading this forum I was under the impression they were almost always the cheapest for young riders.

Edit: I also have passed riders training.

Everything that you are being quoted (with the exception of Specified Perils) are mandatory in Ontario. The quote seems somewhat reasonable given your age, but since you have over a year of M1/M2 experience, it's a little higher than what I'd expect. I would verify with the broker that they are giving your the one-year-experienced rate.

Interesting that Aviva is coming out cheaper. Rules and rates usually change once a year with each company, so it's possible that the tables have turned a little, making Aviva more ideal for some younger riders. Jevco is a much bigger player in Motorcycle Insurance which is why you don't hear of Aviva much.

You do get a discount for receiving training through an approved course. (College e.g. Humber, Centennial, Sheridan and most likely RTI). Maybe your insurance company didn't give you a discount. But mine definately did. I saved at least 30% off my first year alone. TD Meloch Monex

Most companies do not discount for Rider Training, but rather make it a requirement before they ill even agree to insure you.

Okay thanks for the responses. I confirmed that they have one year of experience so it looks like Jevco isn't the default choice for young riders anymore, or they hate the Ninja 400R.

At least Aviva's quote is reasonable.

Okay thanks for the responses. I confirmed that they have one year of experience so it looks like Jevco isn't the default choice for young riders anymore, or they hate the Ninja 400R.

At least Aviva's quote is reasonable.

There really is no "default choice" . . . it's always smart to shop around, since rates vary based on so many different rate characteristics. Every company uses a different algorithm that benefits/disadvantages people differently.

Back
Top Bottom