High mileage Ninja 250r, opinion? | GTAMotorcycle.com

High mileage Ninja 250r, opinion?

tsdexter

Looking at a 2008 Ninja 250 with 17,000km (mostly highway) MGP growler exhaust. Body is mint condition minus a few scuffs (not scratches)... Fender eliminator kit, k&n air and oil filter. Needs new tires...

I took it to St. Onge Recreation in Barrie and their motorcycle mechanic said it looks and sounds mint, he actually seemed a little surprised at the condition. Said valves should be fine and don't need adjustment, only thing would be tires. Also that the ninja 250 is just about the most reliable engine available and should last a long time.

Any opinions on a high mileage? What do you think is a reasonable price range? It's also an American bike, but he has Ontario plates on it, any issues, being American, I should be aware of?

Thanks

I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for it. 17,000 km,s or miles? If its a U.S. model then it's most likely miles. Either way it's not too much. Only issue I can see s that the spedo may be miles and not km/hr. The valve adjustment and plugs are recommended to be done around 12,500 kms. I would see if this has been done.

I (and I assume most others) wouldn't classify 17,000km as "high." For me, I would start thinking a bike has high mileage at 50,000+ km, maybe? Even then, if the engine has been properly serviced, it's still got oodles of life left in it

I can't speak to the licensing of the bike issue, but I know there is a sticky thread in the General Motorcycle Discussion section regarding importing a motorcycle to Canada, I assume you could find any of your questions answered there.

I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for it. 17,000 km,s or miles? If its a U.S. model then it's most likely miles. Either way it's not too much. Only issue I can see s that the spedo may be miles and not km/hr. The valve adjustment and plugs are recommended to be done around 12,500 kms. I would see if this has been done.

Thanks for the info. It's 17,000km/11,100 miles... Current owner 'rebuilt' the engine this past December to clean/fix the carbs.. I mentioned to the mechanic it was Likely due for a valve adjustment before bringing it in and to look out for that, he inspected it (didnt take anything apart or anything) and ran it for a bit and said its really clean, chain is excellent, and valves are good. Either way, the owner said they could do the valves in about '1 hour' ie: $99.95 - I quote it because they said its usually closer to three but I do business with them outside recreational products and would get a deal..

Speedo has miles and km

I (and I assume most others) wouldn't classify 17,000km as "high." For me, I would start thinking a bike has high mileage at 50,000+ km, maybe? Even then, if the engine has been properly serviced, it's still got oodles of life left in it

I can't speak to the licensing of the bike issue, but I know there is a sticky thread in the General Motorcycle Discussion section regarding importing a motorcycle to Canada, I assume you could find any of your questions answered there.

Hey thanks for the info. I wasn't really thinking it was high mileage overall, more so in comparison to other 08+ 250 ninjas currently for sale as they all tend to hover around <8000... I assume because they're newish, we don't get as long of a riding time in Canada, and mostly beginners have them and turn them over quick.. This guy was commuting Barrie to Toronto, so i meant high for what it is.

Plugs are cheap. But a little difficult to get at.

I would be cautious when some one says they rebuilt the engine with that few miles on it. I would assume they had to adjust the carb (needles etc) to tune it with the after market full system exhaust.

Check out Ningette.org , they have a lot of good info for you.

Plugs are cheap. But a little difficult to get at.

I would be cautious when some one says they rebuilt the engine with that few miles on it. I would assume they had to adjust the carb (needles etc) to tune it with the after market full system exhaust.

Check out Ningette.org , they have a lot of good info for you.

Thanks I'm on there. (ninjette)

I quoted rebuilt because he said rebuilt in his sentence but then explained it as going over everything in the engine to find the issue which ended up being the carbs. It was inspected by a licensed motorcycle mechanic that works for someone I do business with and had no affiliation to the seller, he said at the mileage it was pretty well mint and just needs tires.

Edit: it's a slip on exhaust and he said he didn't touch jetting or any engine mods - which is my preference as the general concensus at ninjette is that a 250 is best with a stock engine and jetting may cause problems

Last edited:
Got my ninja on April new n I already put 5000km on it, the bike is well maintained lubed n not a single scratch... only 2months n that mileage... you do the math bro, I say go for it

Sent from phone

Got my ninja on April new n I already put 5000km on it, the bike is well maintained lubed n not a single scratch... only 2months n that mileage... you do the math bro, I say go for it

Sent from phone

Thanks man, it's pretty well a sure thing by Monday unless there is a glaring issue with the UVIP

how much he wants for it ? it should be between 3000 to 4000 range depending on condition. my bike is american kawi 250 too . all you need to do is making sure UVIP VIN# matches with VIN# on bike and there is NO lease left on the bike (read the UVIP for that). if there is any problem with the bike you wont be able to register it at the driver center. i would meet him at the driver center and do all the money transfer and paper work while he is there with you (thats what i did). so in case there is a problem you can just back off the deal.

17,000km is not high, esp for a 2008. I rode my 250 for a year and a half and put on 30,000 km. No issues

how much he wants for it ? it should be between 3000 to 4000 range depending on condition. my bike is american kawi 250 too . all you need to do is making sure UVIP VIN# matches with VIN# on bike and there is NO lease left on the bike (read the UVIP for that). if there is any problem with the bike you wont be able to register it at the driver center. i would meet him at the driver center and do all the money transfer and paper work while he is there with you (thats what i did). so in case there is a problem you can just back off the deal.

Thanks man. UVIP was fine. It's in my name now no issues at MTO. :D

17,000km is not high, esp for a 2008. I rode my 250 for a year and a half and put on 30,000 km. No issues

Thanks that's awesome news for me.. but I meant comparatively higher than other '08s for sale (pretty well all less than 10k).

If the bike is 08, then it's 3.5 seasons old. "Average" timmy's posing rider should easily put 5K+ in one summer. 17K is nothing.

Oh, congratulations on getting the bike LOL! :)

LOL at 17k being high mileage...Mine would pretty much be high mileage after a season then...
I'm approaching 50k on my 09.

i see lots of bike 09, 10 with less than 5000km on them . i already put that on my 09 kawi 250 in a month. it seems like some people ride their bike only on the weekends to go to timmy. there are even 2010 bikes with less than 1000 kms on them ,what you do with the bike? riding in the garage to take a picture :). 3 weeks ago i did 600kms on 1 day with bunch of other bikers. if u are not gonna ride it , why do u even bother buying it and spending all the money? just to say u are a biker and post some pics on facebook ...:)

i see lots of bike 09, 10 with less than 5000km on them . i already put that on my 09 kawi 250 in a month. it seems like some people ride their bike only on the weekends to go to timmy. there are even 2010 bikes with less than 1000 kms on them ,what you do with the bike? riding in the garage to take a picture :). 3 weeks ago i did 600kms on 1 day with bunch of other bikers. if u are not gonna ride it , why do u even bother buying it and spending all the money? just to say u are a biker and post some pics on facebook ...:)

pretty much...

Hmm, how easy is it to roll back the odometer ? If it's simple then that would explain low mileage.

Looking at a 2008 Ninja 250 with 17,000km (mostly highway) MGP growler exhaust. Body is mint condition minus a few scuffs (not scratches)... Fender eliminator kit, k&n air and oil filter. Needs new tires...

I took it to St. Onge Recreation in Barrie and their motorcycle mechanic said it looks and sounds mint, he actually seemed a little surprised at the condition. Said valves should be fine and don't need adjustment, only thing would be tires. Also that the ninja 250 is just about the most reliable engine available and should last a long time.

Any opinions on a high mileage? What do you think is a reasonable price range? It's also an American bike, but he has Ontario plates on it, any issues, being American, I should be aware of?

Thanks

17,000 is not too high. I am at 15,200 km right now and bought in July 2010. Ninja 250 engine will last forever if well maintained.

Back
Top Bottom