Hi-Viz Hydration Pack | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi-Viz Hydration Pack

oioioi

Site Supporter
On the recent Solstice ride with @shanekingsley and the gang I noticed a few riders had a Hydration Pack. I never considered one before, but I did notice during the ride that I was getting a little thirsty/dehydrated while on the bike. Even when we stopped and I had a few good sips of water, but I found that shortly after starting to ride again I was wanting more water.
I'm sure the 30+ degree weather didn't help.

I did some googling and came across a Hi-Viz option which is also insulated. Prevents (at least helps) the water from boiling inside. I would not like to drink Hot water.

This can also act as a "safety Hi-Viz vest" for those that do not have but want hi-viz color in their jacket.
1593045807122.png

Yep i had a 'camel bak' unit in thailand, absolutely priceless being able to stay hydrated while on the go.

Do recommend.

Mine is a 2L and I frequently wish there was just a bit more water for the longer rides, so that one is the perfect size at 2.5L. But then it's extra weight which could get annoying after a while.
But it goes with your rim tape!

If you could try one on before buying, I would suggest that it would be a good idea, because with a motorcycle jacket, the design of the straps may not feel comfortable on longer rides. I lucked out with mine and picked it up at an REI in Alabama for $19 and it's lasted me 10 years and fits very comfortably. One thing I like about mine is that it has a chest strap and a waist strap - not sure if that makes a fitment difference for the longer rides, but even when it's full, I don't even notice it's on.

^^, There is also a belt pack. Only 1.5L capacity.
No Hi-Viz option and it is not insulated.
I tend to think that the insulated part is important. To me at least.

Do to hygienic reason hard to try one out . Unless you just fill it with water and ride with it. Without drinking from the straw.

The waist strap is easy to add.
1593049203992.png

@oioioi That was my first time using the hydration pack during our ride and I think it definitely contributed to my endurance in the heat. I had never rode more than 650km in one day before that and felt fine doing the 1000km on that ride. I used an electrolyte powder in mine which may have also contributed.
I did not notice the liquid ever getting remotely warm, and I did not fill it with cold water either to begin with, but that insulated one you found is pretty sweet.
Mine is also a 2L bag, with chest and waist straps although I did not use the waist straps and I hardly noticed it on my back all day, no movement etc.
Very glad I had it with me to sip on during the boring slab sections

I have a cup holder on my handlebars, I toss a couple of frozen bottles in my bag before I leave. Less kit strapped to me the better - it also lets me mix things up a bit -- 6AM it holds my morning coffee, 8AM a water bottle, noon Gatoraid... when I get home it holds a can of beer while I unpack and tidy up the bike after a long day's ride.

Way more utilitarian, drinks never get body warm, and I don't look like a Power Ranger when I'm riding.

Most long rides I use a camelbak mule. Fill it in the morning and I am normally good for an entire day on the motorbike or half a day on a bicycle. I would not use a belt pack camelbak on a motorbike. It would be in the way of you seat or legs and I dont want the hose flopping around down by the spinny bits. The backpack is out of the way and keeps the hose in a safe and convenient location.

The mule has some backpack capacity so it stores snacks for the day if I'm not running a tank bag. It's a little awkward but you can get food out and garbage back in while riding.

I have one of these things (or similar, I have a motorcycle specific one)...

I didn’t pay that much. It’s a different kind of beast. It’s pressurized via an air bulb and you can fit an in-line filter to it to use natural water if you run out. The bag is armoured and has plenty of leash points for a pillion seat. I haven’t used the bag on the bike yet but I have used the filtration system in Central America and it works great. The pressurized system means you can spray water to clean stuff too.

it’s pretty neat!

Back
Top Bottom