Hi there, new ish... guy hear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi there, new ish... guy hear

N

newbee

Not totally new but never introduced myself.
Any way I'm "newbee" and I have a question.

Dose anyone ever go down to the states for a week just to ride in the winter months and if so where?
Thanks

Welcome Newbee.

I’ve trailered my bike to Florida for a week and wasn’t a problem. We rented a cottage and didn’t have any concerns with it parked and unattended.

However, Florida roads are not something you seek out to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 34% exchange on our money :lmao:
Jamaica would probably be a lot more fun and possibly even cheaper.

Jamaica would probably be a lot more fun and possibly even cheaper.

I've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, and have spent some some of it on 2 wheels.

I would NOT recommend any new rider dare try riding ANYWHERE in the Caribbean. To the contrary, to survive those roads down there will take all the skills of even the most experienced rider.

Look at the MC accident statistics down there. They paint a very sad story.

I was thinking of renting a bike in Jamaica; I've been there a couple of times.
I was warned not to do it, and once I saw how they rode down there I realized it would have been a hair-raising, death-defying experience!

My avatar shows me on the Yammie TW200 I rented in Aruba.
That was pleasant, not a big island, but fun to ride around the sand dunes and then get chased by a pack of dogs in some village!

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, and have spent some some of it on 2 wheels.

I would NOT recommend any new rider dare try riding ANYWHERE in the Caribbean. To the contrary, to survive those roads down there will take all the skills of even the most experienced rider.

Look at the MC accident statistics down there. They paint a very sad story.

Let me guess, bad to no lighting at night and drunk drivers galore?

I wouldn't want to learn how to ride a motorcycle while on vacation in any foreign country,
but that's easy for me to say since I started riding motorcycles 53 years ago :|

Wear a real helmet and you will enjoy a huge survival rate improvement in either place, both Jamaica and Florida have relatively poor track records for motorcycle accidents, much higher chance of being hit by another motorcycle or a shuttle bus in Jamaica, much higher chance of being hit by a car or truck in Florida ymmv.

Let me guess, bad to no lighting at night and drunk drivers galore?

Drunk drivers, clueless drivers, aggressive drivers, bad drivers, unlicensed drivers, road rage, impatience, just plan ignorance.

I've seen tour busses nearly knock rental scooters off the road while the (often inexperienced tourist) riders are terrified that a bus is literally (and I mean LITERALLY!) 12-18" off their back wheel. I've seen MC's and scooters literally run off the road by impatient cars and tour busses, riders pushed into curbs, etc. Lots of cruise passengers limping back to the ships on crutches or in wheelchairs. It's a very well known high risk activity down there that is very well known to result in injuries, and yes, deaths.

You name it, it's reality down there. Bad enough for the residents, really bad for the tourists.

Despite the stereotype that everyone is "chill" and relaxed in the caribbean, when they get behind the wheel many of them turn into impatient maniacs....especially behind slow/inexperienced people on MC's/scooters.

Bermuda is on a whole different level yet. Every time I've ever got in any sort of motorized vehicle over there I felt like injury or death was a very real possibility.

Can I be a spelling nazi here not hear

Back
Top Bottom