Hi from downtown Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi from downtown Toronto

thirstforspeed

Hey everyone!

I am an engineer living in East York. I have a shop that I build/tinker/restore bikes from in my off-time (not my day job). I've been riding for 3 years. My current ride is a completely custom XV500 (that happens to be for sale HERE) and I am working on restomodding a 1978 CB550 for my wife (who also rides).

If there is anyone that needs/wants to do some fab work, get at me. Also, my build blog for my projects is HERE. My question is, is there a fab section on here to post up wild projects? Where would be best to put that stuff?

Otherwise, just want to say hello to all the GTA riders out there.

Cheers,
thirstforspeed

Last edited:
Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

I thought that little piece is always just a plate mount. I have never seen anyone use it for anything else (other than that pic from 6foot).

as for legality, im sure someone somewhere can have a beef with it and have it stick. just like non-OEM turn signals aren't completely legal on a technicality, as is a myriad of other mods we do. I personally haven't had and trouble with it (or any trouble at all for that matter) so I don't know if its a major issue. I have had cops beside at a light, but they just asked me rev and give it a little gas from the green so they could hear it.

Welcome!

What kind of engineer? I'm a mechanical - hopefully finally getting my certification soon (I've been slacking), as I've got about 9 years of experience in manufacturing, system commissioning and design consulting under my belt.

Love the builds on your website - real badass looking! I'd hope to start refurbishing bikes once I have a real workspace to do so in.

Yeah, I'm Mech too.
thanks for the comments on the builds. its a fun way to spend my time. IMO, id rather be in the shop learning something new than out at a bar on a friday night. I don't know what that says about me.

also, just based on my experience: i work out of a storage unit (in a complex, one of those ones with the pin code access and cameras for obvious reasons, and the bonus is that its climate controlled, so winter work isnt really a big thing) but its generally cheaper for me (because Toronto real estate) to work in a storage unit than rent or own a garage. so yeah, there are alternatives for condo people or anyone that doesnt have access to a garage/workshop.

I thought most storage complexes wouldn't allow customers to work on vehicles on-site -- do you need to be sneaky about it at all? And if you don't, would you mind sharing which storage place it is?

most won't. mine is a smaller (non-chain) place. i am limited to 110V power, so i can't have a good welder, but I can use all the hand tools I want. Its in Leaside, called My Self Storage. its several hundred dollars a month for the unit, but in east york a garage is going to add more than that to your mortgage anyway, so it works for me.

They are fairly lenient with what you do in your unit unless you are making a mess in the hallway or fumes are going into other peoples units. Basically, be a good neighbour and all that.

Back
Top Bottom