HF Trailer Build Input | GTAMotorcycle.com

HF Trailer Build Input

spaceboy

So I'm finishing up my trailer build today, but I'm not sure how I should arrange the chocks and bed hooks.

I have three chocks (only billed for one!), and 6 bed hooks. I figured having an additional chock in the middle would be best for balance, when only towing one bike.
Is this excessive? I've also seen a staggered setup with two chocks, and I'm wondering if that would work. I'm towing with a sedan, so I have to be wary of tongue weight.

Also, do I have to strap the triple down, or can I just strap the front wheel into the chock?

Thanks.

205e5pz.jpg

I'm no expert, but a few comments...

1. There's no reason to have the chocks attached permanently - just use bolts with wing nuts. Then you can drill the extra set of holes for the centre mounting position for when you have only one bike. I agree that it would be best to have the bike in the centre when there is only one. Also, you can remove all the chocks when you are going to Home Depot or whatever.

2. Are you ***SURE*** you can put two bikes on that thing anyway? It looks very similar to the folding 4 x 8 that I have (except the toungue on yours looks stronger). I am not 100% convinced it is wide enough for two bikes and, even if it is, I think the maximum payload may be only 800 lb or so. You would be pretty close to the bottom of the leaf springs with two bikes on it. Maybe yours is the 5 x 8?

3. With the Baxley sport chock or similar that grabs the front tire when you drive in, you only need to hold the bike forward in the chock...theoretically. Me, I still put a strap from the frame on either side to the front corners of the trailer. With the type of chocks you have I would definitely be looking for some lateral stability from the straps.

1. That's probably a good idea, but I still need to figure out a good arrangement for the chocks, to allow proper hook placement.

2. This one has a 1200lbs. capacity, and a few forum members are running a two-bike setup. Its 4x8 as well.

3. These chocks are not super strong, so you're probably right.

I have the same trailer and chock (single though) and use 4 straps regardless. This chock won't hold your bike upright on it own.

I have the same trailer and chock (single though) and use 4 straps regardless. This chock won't hold your bike upright on it own.

those chocks do hold the bike bike upright, while you get around to strapping it down....

here is mine....

IMG00299.jpg

IMG00580-20110625-0732-1.jpg

The staggered setup avoids handlebars and mirrors from getting into each other, and is a good idea.

Freakeyguy, could you have spaced the outside chocks further apart to avoid staggered formation? I understand that might run out of room to put foot down while loading it and too tight but can it be done? Thx

Last edited:
those chocks do hold the bike bike upright, while you get around to strapping it down....

Clarification, it will hold the bike, but i would tow with just the chock as a means of attachment. I usally keep my bike on the trailer and chocked in my garage between days unless I'm doing maintenance, even still, the trailer provides for a platform to carry out most work.

I'd only use 2, not 3 and go staggered if you are planning to put 2 bikes on there. Also I'm a wee bit anal about strapping the bike on.... but I also tie down the front and rear wheel separately. So I tie the front wheel to the chock so that it can bounce out even if the handlebar straps let go. I then also loop a tie down around the rear wheel as well. I've seen a Goldwing go bouncing down the Interstate and I don't want to see my bike doing the same thing.

Conversely.... you can use a Baxley type chock as mentioned above. That's what I have been doing more recently. The nice thing about that is if you want to fold the trailer it isn't physically attached to the trailer. So it is nice and quick to get it out of the way. With Baxley (I got the princess auto version) chock where I wanted it to be.... (this bit is easier to understand if you look at a picture of the Baxley) I screwed a block of wood in front of the chock and two other pieces just behind the front tubular section (one on each side of the wheel). Like that the chock can't go anywhere while the bike is on it, but it just lifts up without any fuss when the bike is off. Plus now I got a Pitbull like rear wheel attachment that I will be using to facilitate things.

Last edited:
Freakeyguy, could you have spaced the outside chocks further apart to avoid staggered formation? I understand that might run out of room to put foot down while loading it and too tight but can it be done? Thx

Yes you could do that, but issues would be
-Mirrors/handle bars banging aganist each other
- tie-down....you want the widest you can get. Thats' why I have outriggers (thanks DJLTORONTO)

and ACTUALLY my setup isn't that staggered.....look at the last pic....its about 6-8 inches back. My rear tire is a few inches from the edge, just enough to get a ramp on my deck.

When I load this trailer up, I always load the right-one up first, and lean it over, so that the handle bars/mirrors don't touch.....then the left one up.

here are more pictures....maybe this will help...

IMG00587-20110625-0933-1.jpg

IMG00561-20110621-2332.jpg

IMG00575-20110624-1919.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert by far, but a few racers have told me that strapping the bike down on that manner is bad for the suspension. Was told a story of a guy who drove out to Calgary for a race and when he got there the seals were blown and shock oil ****** out everywhere. Been told you should use a chock and something called a canyon dancer that holds the bike center without putting any.stress on the suspension.

Canyon dancers are so that you dont put stress on your grips/throttle tube and allow for the straps to have no contact with the fairings. I'm sure there are ways to properly tie a bike down without canyon dancers but I like them. Mind you they have no affect on lessening the suspension compression as they are still pulling the front end down unless your strapping to the side of an enclosed trailer or something. I'm sure you can damage the seals if you've got the front end cranked down on a drive to Calgary but typically you should be able to secure the bike without straining the suspension no matter what method you use.

You only need an inch or so of squish. Iv seen people bottom out mx bikes and blow seals. There's also a plastic spacer you can buy that goes between the fender and tire and only allows for 1/2" of squish.

Back
Top Bottom