Hey, Justin Here | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hey, Justin Here

JDooley

Hey, I'm Justin, 35 and I am getting into riding to gain some freedom. I live in Mississauga and never really drove. Always just took the train into the city and walked anywhere else I needed. I work from home so no commute so never needed a car. Now, since I didn't even have a G1 I got my M1 and am looking into all the other things. In all honesty, I kind of planned on doing this a few months ago but then covid hit, couldn't take the M1, or sign up for M2 training. Now everything is in a rush so it may be a few months before I can even do the M2 course. Even so, I've been calling around and seeing where I can get fit in.

Seems like my next step is to buy some equipment. The M2 courses are not providing personal equipment at the moment (understandably). So I've been researching all that stuff. Would love to hear some suggestion for places that can help size me and get good starter gear. ;) Around me all that I know if is Bartz motorcycle shop and Riders Choice though neither has responded to my emails so far.

In terms of a bike, I've been looking up a lot but nothing beyond that. The one of most interest is the Honda Rebel 500. I've always loved the look of a cruiser and disliked the aggressive looking sport bikes. Just personal preference. . I just don't know if it's for me though. I'll have to sit on it to see. The goal was to finish the M2 course to learn how to handle the vehicle before going to a dealership. Sadly there are no motorcycle shows for me to visit and try out a whole wack of different bikes. We will just have to see.

Anyway,
Hi.

Welcome,

Honda Rebel is a good place to start, your first bike doesn't have to be your forever bike. It's a good idea to pick up a used one that's already been dropped, that way if you happen to drop her you won't feel so bad about it. 300/500cc cruisers are 'starter bikes' and you should be able to get a lot of your money back when you decide to upgrade.

Riders choice are a bunch of good people, if you walk in there and ask them about starting gear they should take care of you. You'll have to think about leather vs mesh vs textile and a few other decisions. If i were you, i'd get at least a mesh/textile jacket for the summer months and you can always layer on more underneath if you ride into spring/fall. If you plan to ride in the wet some jackets have water resistant liners that you can remove, or just look for something to throw over it. When you get a bit more dough you can spring for a heavier all leather option for the 'off season'. No matter what you decide on be prepared to sweat in this kinda weather we're seeing, hit up a sport check or alternative for some 'cooling, moisture wicking base layers' it will prevent you from feeling like an soggy mess..until you start stripping off the gear anyways :ROFLMAO:

Buy the best helmet you can afford, there are a lot of online reviews which cover things like how loud they are, how good ventilation is. I would suggest find one with a drop down internal sun visor and a nice loud colour/graphic. Please buy a full face...

For shoes/boots, spring for at least stuff that covers your ankles. The options here are endless; from sneaker style, half size boots or full sport/touring boots.

Wanting to be visible should be a concern, so i would gravitate towards nice contrast/high vizish colours wherever possible in your gear. A lot of people start with all blacked out for the looks then they realize its a) hot and b) invisible at night, don't spend your money twice where you don't have to.

I'd recommend Learning Curves for your m1 exit course, great people there.

Wear gear and be safe.

Welcome Justin!
My coworker bought a Rebel 500 and she loves it. Had it for about a year so far. Yesterday, her husband also bought one. That is how much they like it.

Also, everything that Evo said above.
Although, and I don't usually say this, but since you don't have any other vehicles and it doesn't look like you plan on getting any, buying new isn't a terrible idea. But I would still check the used market. I'm all about getting a deal.

When it comes to clothing/ gear, buy the helmet new. Look on here and Kijiji for the rest. I have some new gear hardly used because I thought I would use I and never did. The thought of what I needed and the actual stuff I needed were not the same.
For the course a jean jacket, work boots and leather gloves will suffice.

What size jacket are you? I have one that was passed to me for my son, he never wanted to ride with me, now time for me to pass it forward.
Let me know.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yeah thanks.

From what I've read, I think I'll probably be looking at a 3 season textile jacket. specifically for the air flow and visibility. I've budgeted about $1500 for gear which should get me some decent mid quality stuff.

As for the new / used. I'll have to wait and see what I like. If I can get used, no problem. Otherwise, I can get financing for new. I don't plan on getting upset if I drop a new bike. I think everyone expects a starter bike to be dropped right? Someone has to do it first.

I called learning curves and they said they can't book anything until mid / late September.

What size jacket are you? I have one that was passed to me for my son, he never wanted to ride with me, now time for me to pass it forward.
Let me know.

I have no Idea, that's the problem :D If there is one thing I'm not afraid to do, its admit my ignorance. I usually fit in a Medium-Large area depending on the brand. I figured I'd just try things on until I found something that fit.

@JDooley the only problem is that not many places (I believe) are letting people try things on right now.
Not sure how that works for a helmet though. I mean, I had to try on a bunch to see what was comfortable.
FWIW, I got away with spending zero for my course gear -- buddy gave me an old half-helmet, wore work gloves and work boots and other buddy gave me a jean jacket.
Then when I bought my first round of gear, maybe $400?
Then bought my current jacket used.
Pants used.
New and used gloves ( I like to wear different gloves all the time)

$1500 imho is a lot of money for stuff that you may not be sure about. Others may disagree on this point. Also, to be clear, if you find a great fitting comfortable helmet, spend the money on that.

@JDooley the only problem is that not many places (I believe) are letting people try things on right now.
Not sure how that works for a helmet though. I mean, I had to try on a bunch to see what was comfortable.
FWIW, I got away with spending zero for my course gear -- buddy gave me an old half-helmet, wore work gloves and work boots and other buddy gave me a jean jacket.
Then when I bought my first round of gear, maybe $400?
Then bought my current jacket used.
Pants used.
New and used gloves ( I like to wear different gloves all the time)

$1500 imho is a lot of money for stuff that you may not be sure about. Others may disagree on this point. Also, to be clear, if you find a great fitting comfortable helmet, spend the money on that.

Yeah it would suck to helmet shop right now, a lot of brands fit differently. Plenty of stores have a 'you try it on you buy it' policy due to covid. I think intermediate oval is the most common head shape here in NA. Maybe they will let it fly about the size if you need to try on about 2 to get the fit right.

@JDooley Maybe fortnine.com would be your best bet, i'd call to clarify but i believe they are still standing by their policy to take back any gear that still has tags and was not ridden in.

Yeah, That's why I sent out a few emails inquiring first about if I can try things on and what procedures are in place. Kind of a weird time to get started I guess.

Yeah, That's why I sent out a few emails inquiring first about if I can try things on and what procedures are in place. Kind of a weird time to get started I guess.
i would call or drop in if it's close, they want your business but are likely short staffed due to the economic situation.

Being a sunday i believe they are almost all closed today.

Hey Justin,

Welcome to the forum, I'm not to far from you and I'm happy to assist where I can.
I started riding a little later in life but have no regrets, so nice to go into things with a a few of life's lessons under your belt.

Best of luck!

Nice to meet you.

Right now I'm having trouble getting a bike, Trying to pick up a a 2020 rebel but Ready is closing and not getting any more. I went out to Milton yesterday just to have them sell it and not tell me. Got an appointment at snow city tomorrow and thinking of going to Sturgess Today. If I can't get a rebel, I was thinking of trying a Honda CB500F.

Nice to meet you.

Right now I'm having trouble getting a bike, Trying to pick up a a 2020 rebel but Ready is closing and not getting any more. I went out to Milton yesterday just to have them sell it and not tell me. Got an appointment at snow city tomorrow and thinking of going to Sturgess Today. If I can't get a rebel, I was thinking of trying a Honda CB500F.
Did you try Markham Power Honda?

Ask for Peter @ Snow City

Naw I'm in south west mississauga border of oakville. These trips end up taking half a day for me :D

I have a booking with Sean @ Snow City right now 4:00 on Saturday.

Oh I thought this was another Justin Trudeau thread.... ah nevermind.

Welcome! Good luck with your M2, seems you have it thought it out and haven't rushed into it.

Hey, I'm Justin, 35 and I am getting into riding to gain some freedom. I live in Mississauga and never really drove. Always just took the train into the city and walked anywhere else I needed. I work from home so no commute so never needed a car. Now, since I didn't even have a G1 I got my M1 and am looking into all the other things. In all honesty, I kind of planned on doing this a few months ago but then covid hit, couldn't take the M1, or sign up for M2 training. Now everything is in a rush so it may be a few months before I can even do the M2 course. Even so, I've been calling around and seeing where I can get fit in.

Seems like my next step is to buy some equipment. The M2 courses are not providing personal equipment at the moment (understandably). So I've been researching all that stuff. Would love to hear some suggestion for places that can help size me and get good starter gear. ;) Around me all that I know if is Bartz motorcycle shop and Riders Choice though neither has responded to my emails so far.

In terms of a bike, I've been looking up a lot but nothing beyond that. The one of most interest is the Honda Rebel 500. I've always loved the look of a cruiser and disliked the aggressive looking sport bikes. Just personal preference. . I just don't know if it's for me though. I'll have to sit on it to see. The goal was to finish the M2 course to learn how to handle the vehicle before going to a dealership. Sadly there are no motorcycle shows for me to visit and try out a whole wack of different bikes. We will just have to see.

Anyway,
Hi.
Good choice in bike. Could ride that all day for years and wont break the bank

Good choice in bike. Could ride that all day for years and wont break the bank
So sad news. I tried it out and 6' 190lbs has me a bit squished on the Honda Rebel. I found the cb500f a lot better and surprisingly, the cb500x even more comfortable. (With a cooler paint job too). Decisions decisions. This requires more research ?

But a cheap jvc or similar lid with no graphics. Plain single color. If it doesn't fit...oh well.

So sad news. I tried it out and 6' 190lbs has me a bit squished on the Honda Rebel. I found the cb500f a lot better and surprisingly, the cb500x even more comfortable. (With a cooler paint job too). Decisions decisions. This requires more research

Wasn’t the plan to get your M2 and then buy a bike or are you planning on buying now?

Most people wait until they’ve passed the course.

The reason I ask is that historically, bike prices tend to drop later in the riding season. Dealers will want to move stock out. Regular Joe/Jane rider wants to sell rather than store a bike through the winter.

Of course, there’s no harm in figuring out what you like/want at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom