Hey everyone! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hey everyone!

voyageur

Site Supporter
Hello folks,

I'm new here....woohoo! But not a new rider. I have been riding motorcycles for over 10 years. I'm a new immigrant to the country and got my M2 last summer but didn't end up getting a motorcycle then. Looking at a 600cc supersport (Daytona 675r, Zx6r...). Let's see how that goes. Insurance is sure to put a big hole in my wallet but I will get bored easily with a smaller cc motorcycle.

Never had an opportunity to do track days and all of the mileage I covered were on the street. Hoping I can change that soon, at least in the next year!

Once again, glad to be here. Hopefully, we can ride together someday :)

Cheers!

Hello folks,

I'm new here....woohoo! But not a new rider. I have been riding motorcycles for over 10 years. I'm a new immigrant to the country and got my M2 last summer but didn't end up getting a motorcycle then. Looking at a 600cc supersport (Daytona 675r, Zx6r...). Let's see how that goes. Insurance is sure to put a big hole in my wallet but I will get bored easily with a smaller cc motorcycle.

Never had an opportunity to do track days and all of the mileage I covered were on the street. Hoping I can change that soon, at least in the next year!

Once again, glad to be here. Hopefully, we can ride together someday :)

Cheers!
Welcome.

There are super sport alternatives that make similar power but won't destroy your bank account.

CBR650R comes to mind if you prefer the full fairing look.

Welcome.

There are super sport alternatives that make similar power but won't destroy your bank account.

CBR650R comes to mind if you prefer the full fairing look.

Yeah, full fairing preferred. I saw a few on kijiji,10-12-year-old r6, cbr600rr and even zx6r - around 5-6 grand. Obviously, need to take them to a mechanic to have it looked at if I intend to buy it. I think I'll start hunting for one during fall to get a better deal from private sellers.

Are there better ways of finding private sellers other than kijiji and autotrader? Avoiding dealerships like plague lol

Welcome. Think he meant supersport insurance rates would destroy your bank account. Most used bikes can be found for cheap around the GTA. Best deals are found slightly up north,in my experience anyway. Personally, I use kijiji. But facebook marketplace is pretty good too these days.

Happy hunting

Yeah, full fairing preferred. I saw a few on kijiji,10-12-year-old r6, cbr600rr and even zx6r - around 5-6 grand. Obviously, need to take them to a mechanic to have it looked at if I intend to buy it. I think I'll start hunting for one during fall to get a better deal from private sellers.

Are there better ways of finding private sellers other than kijiji and autotrader? Avoiding dealerships like plague lol

Welcome. Make sure you get some insurance prices before you bother bike shopping. New rider (in the eyes of insurance) plus supersport can easily be $5000+ a year for insurance. You could buy a smaller bike every year and throw it out and still be way ahead on money over paying SS rates from the beginning.

Alternatively, buy a track SS and use the money you save on insurance for more track days where you actually get to use your awesome bike and wring its' neck.

Welcome. Think he meant supersport insurance rates would destroy your bank account. Most used bikes can be found for cheap around the GTA. Best deals are found slightly up north,in my experience anyway. Personally, I use kijiji. But facebook marketplace is pretty good too these days.

Happy hunting

Thanks for the info, cheers!

Welcome. Make sure you get some insurance prices before you bother bike shopping. New rider (in the eyes of insurance) plus supersport can easily be $5000+ a year for insurance. You could buy a smaller bike every year and throw it out and still be way ahead on money over paying SS rates from the beginning.

Alternatively, buy a track SS and use the money you save on insurance for more track days where you actually get to use your awesome bike and wring its' neck.

I hear you and it totally makes sense. I was going through other threads in here related to 600cc discussions as well. Pretty useful info there! Let me get a few quotes and do some math. Might have to wait another year or so to get a dedicated track SS. Thanks!

@Evoex , @roadrash and @GreyGhost

Hey folks, I had a quick one for you. I did call up a few insurance companies (TD, RBC, Intact, RiderPlus...) to get quotes on some SuperSport bikes and dropped the plan right away. One of them was willing to insure me on a Daytona 675r for 375$ a month. What a sick joke!!

I'm now thinking of getting an SV650s (2009-2013) or a CBR600 F4i. One of the insurance quotes on SV was 120$/m which I find reasonable but didn't check for the f4i. You guys got any feedbacks for which one to go for if you rode one. Also, how would the insurance compare for these models?

PS: CBR650R is too expensive. My budget would be around 4-5k!

Hey folks, I had a quick one for you. I did call up a few insurance companies (TD, RBC, Intact, RiderPlus...) to get quotes on some SuperSport bikes and dropped the plan right away. One of them was willing to insure me on a Daytona 675r for 375$ a month. What a sick joke!!

I'm now thinking of getting an SV650s (2009-2013) or a CBR600 F4i. One of the insurance quotes on SV was 120$/m which I find reasonable but didn't check for the f4i. You guys got any feedbacks for which one to go for if you rode one. Also, how would the insurance compare for these models?

I'm not the right person to ask. I strongly dislike ~600 ss on the street. Imo, they are just horrible for that use. They are not that comfortable and at legal speeds they just feel unhappy. They want to stretch their legs. Obviously lots of people own them as street ride so my opinion is far from universal.

Don't you have an insurance broker and do you not "bundle" your policies? (inquire about motorcycle insurance with the same people that sell you your car and household insurance, the rates will typically be much lower.)

Has your agent or broker asked for a letter of experience from the country you previously lived in? In some cases, they accept it and give you lower premiums.

You’ve ridden 10 plus years. However, riding in Ontario is a mixed bag. There is a lot of traffic congestion to contend with and often need to travel longer distances to find interesting roads.

In my opinion a 600 ss gets boring fast. Another poster mentioned track days. For the insurance costs to ride on the street, you could trailer a bike and have fun. Of course there are other hurdles like do you have a vehicle that could tow, space for a trailer and bike etc.

There is some wisdom in the saying, “Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow.”

You can pick up a used R3 and fling that thing around for a couple of seasons and even try it at the track.

Once insurance costs drop, you could seek out a 600 or litre bike for the street.

It’s not a bad journey many take.

You do have a limited budget for bike, insurance etc. Try to make it work best in your favour.

There is a reason why there are slow mileage 600 for sale. Many buy them and park at donut shops because their bodies ache or can’t stand riding in the areas they live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not the right person to ask. I strongly dislike ~600 ss on the street. Imo, they are just horrible for that use. They are not that comfortable and at legal speeds they just feel unhappy. They want to stretch their legs. Obviously lots of people own them as street ride so my opinion is far from universal.

Don't SV650 and CBR600F fall under the touring category? Not looking for an ss anymore! The 600F though is almost close to RR in terms of power lol

Don't you have an insurance broker and do you not "bundle" your policies? (inquire about motorcycle insurance with the same people that sell you your car and household insurance, the rates will typically be much lower.)

No, I don't. I sold my car before COVID and didn't bother getting another one. Cancelled my insurance on home and auto. When I get my motorcycle insurance I'm planning to get it bundled with tenant home insurance.

You’ve ridden 10 plus years. However, riding in Ontario is a mixed bag. There is a lot of traffic congestion to contend with and often need to travel longer distances to find interesting roads.

In my opinion a 600 ss gets boring fast. Another poster mentioned track days. For the insurance costs to ride on the street, you could trailer a bike and have fun. Of course there are other hurdles like do you have a vehicle that could tow, space for a trailer and bike etc.

Totally, I don't underestimate the bad drivers in Ontario a bit :LOL: I have dropped the idea of getting a 600 ss for now!
I used to have an RC390 in my previous life (didn't own it but buddy's bike, rentals). I was hoping to go one step above in class and get an SV650s or CBR600F. Prefer motorcycles with fairing. Wondering if anyone has ridden both and have a say on one is better than the other!

Maybe inquire on CBR500 insurance + see if you can get a test ride on one
even if it's just in a dealership parking lot.
Low use ones in good condition at very good prices are fairly plentiful
because Honda has sold them new at discount prices for several years.

was a great day for riding today :cool: one of the best.

F4i is priced similar to super sports. Its pretty much a 600rr

Don't SV650 and CBR600F fall under the touring category? Not looking for an ss anymore! The 600F though is almost close to RR in terms of power lol

No, I don't. I sold my car before COVID and didn't bother getting another one. Cancelled my insurance on home and auto. When I get my motorcycle insurance I'm planning to get it bundled with tenant home insurance.

Totally, I don't underestimate the bad drivers in Ontario a bit :LOL: I have dropped the idea of getting a 600 ss for now!
I used to have an RC390 in my previous life (didn't own it but buddy's bike, rentals). I was hoping to go one step above in class and get an SV650s or CBR600F. Prefer motorcycles with fairing. Wondering if anyone has ridden both and have a say on one is better than the other!
Sv650s are pretty popular middleweight bikes cant go wrong with that choice. 600f is also a nice bike.

Had an sv, the engine is awesome
(V twins > inline 4's all day imo)

The ergo's arent the best with clip ons, but since you were looking at super sports, Im assuming you dont care about that

Maybe inquire on CBR500 insurance + see if you can get a test ride on one
even if it's just in a dealership parking lot.
Low use ones in good condition at very good prices are fairly plentiful
because Honda has sold them new at discount prices for several years.

was a great day for riding today :cool: one of the best.
The 2016 500Rs are going for $3500 which is awesome. 2003 F4is go for that price lol. But yeah, it's comparing apples to oranges!
Will check out the 500Rs as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

F4i is priced similar to super sports. Its pretty much a 600rr

You know it's supersport when Riderplus denies you a quote lol. Looks like Riderplus is not quoting for any SS bike irrespective of rider's experience.

If I cannot narrow down on an f4i then SV it is!

Had an sv, the engine is awesome
(V twins > inline 4's all day imo)

The ergo's arent the best with clip ons, but since you were looking at super sports, Im assuming you dont care about that

Yeah...Ergos won't matter much I guess. Not planning to commute, more for weekends and if possible track once or twice next year!

good choice, cheap, reliable, good insurance, fun torquey engine, lots of people track and race them as well

what about a Yamaha FZ6R...not as fast as its previous model the FZ6, however, I had a 2010 and loved it...full fairing, inline 4 and lots of fun...was considered a sport touring so insurance wasn't outrageous...something else to consider...

what about a Yamaha FZ6R...not as fast as its previous model the FZ6, however, I had a 2010 and loved it...full fairing, inline 4 and lots of fun...was considered a sport touring so insurance wasn't outrageous...something else to consider...
Oh yeah! I had forgotten about FZ6. My friend had an FZ6 and I did ride it a few times back in the days. Will miss not having clip-on but it was a pretty decent bike. I'll add it to my list :) Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom