HEY EVERYONE! New Rider From Toronto (Don Mills area) | GTAMotorcycle.com

HEY EVERYONE! New Rider From Toronto (Don Mills area)

grecomoto

Greetings everyone!

I joined this website months ago but I just bought my first bike! (a used ninja 250r, custom painted white! ...nicknamed the white samurai...i'll post picks in the appropriate forum category).

As of now, i have no insurance, licence, plates, and or helmet (i just ordered the new HJC Symax 3 in matte black, but its pre-order only and wont ship until november... but it's a sweet helmet! check it out)... since the bike is just in storage, in anticipation for next year's riding season...

I'm not concerned about the M1 written, but if you guys have any useful tips for the M1 Exit test, let me know! and let me know whether it is worth doing it through the ministry of transportation or through an accredited private school...etc.

My biggest concern is the idiot drivers of Toronto. I would feel much safer driving a motorcycle in europe or asia where motorcycles are much more common and driver are more cautious around motorcycles. Toronto seems to be full of cagers and impatient drivers... maybe this is due to Toronto having the highest average commute time in NORTH AMERICA? (longer commute times than New york city, which was #2 worst commute time on the list)... I'm eager to hear your opinions, and how you deal with drivers here in toronto. My first upgrade on my Ninja is going to be the FIAMM Freeway Blaster HORN... so that drivers can hear me properly ;) seems like an appropriate upgrade for driving here in Toronto.

PS. if anyone has experience upgrading the Horn on the Ninja 250r, please let me know! expecially if its the FIAMM freeway blaster!

Thanks for reading everyone! I look forward to riding with you guys, and I wish everyone safety out there with those crazy toronto drivers! I will post pics of the Ninja when I have a chance..

Thanks for the hospitality everyone! ;)

Welcome!
I suggest going thru riding training with an accredited school. You'll learn skills to protect yourself against, as you said it, the 'idiot' and 'impatient' drivers of toronto. I am assuming you are referring to 4-wheeled or more drivers rather than 2-wheeled drivers eh? BTW, nice bike to start with... and... season isnt over yet! :)

Welcome to the site grecomoto.

I would suggest getting a jacket, gloves boots etc. along with the helmet.... dress for the crash not the ride!

I have a ninja too and I feel the stock horn is enough... wearing visible gear especialy at night is way more important that beeping at people I think...

Also driving defensively and as if everyone is out to kill you is the best advice I have gotten. Assume every car you see will cut you off and run into you.

I've ridden a bike both here and in greece, and I find that drivers in both countries are equal malakes.

I took the course at Centennial College, and don't regret it one bit. I would strongly suggest looking into taking a course. Centennial, Humber, RTI.... I hear they are all awesome.

CYA around!

Welcome!!
Wheelie.gif

Welcome.

Welcome! I took the Learning Curves M1 Exit and I plan on going with them for my M2 exit as well. They're absolutely awesome. I've even been thinking about taking a trip down on the weekend where they have the outdoor class just to say hi.

I have to agree about the Toronto drivers. Everyone in a hurry to go no where and most have absolutely no respect for bikes. There's been many times when I just felt like sticking it in neutral at the lights and getting off just to piss off the jerk behind me that is practically riding my rear tire even when we aren't moving. That's great advice to just imagine that everyone is trying to kill you. lol It'll keep you on the ball.

Welcome to the forums. Definitely take the course, WORTH IT! If you practice defensive riding you'll do fine. Most of us now know what an idiot is going to do before even they do. It becomes a 6th sense :D Oh, and I ride up and down Don Mills all the time without issue. Just practice practice practice

just imagine that everyone is trying to kill you. lol It'll keep you on the ball.
:lmao:SOO true

welcome, I also live in the Don Mills area, when you are up and running PM me and we can go for a ride...

I'm riding next spring unfortunately! it would not be worth starting insurance now for the last month of riding :( But I'm by the Shops at Don Mills fyi

Nice, you're pretty close to me. I started riding in September this year. I thought about holding off till next season but figured I might as well get some riding in now and then I don't have to worry about renewing my insurance until next September so I can ride all summer without a care.

You bought a bike *Before* even having your m1? that's kind of unusual, but anyway.. take the course through a school, it should not even be an option imo. You'll never learn properly on your own. I give my thumbs up to Centennial.

Back
Top Bottom