Helpful Fatal Accident Map for GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helpful Fatal Accident Map for GTA

Wonder how there was a moto fatality out in the middle of the lake? Something is telling me that its not all that accurate.

Wonder how there was a moto fatality out in the middle of the lake? Something is telling me that its not all that accurate.

You're right, it's a mistake. The address is correct, but not the way its referenced on the map.

wow...not as many bikes fatalities as I was expecting...especially for Scarborough
more of idiot drivers & pedestrians listening to their music machines.

Love that Bayview Extension bike magnet... :)

Well, it seems that the map is not full.
Looks like there were no bike fatalities 2010-2011 in GTA (only one 2010 is listed)...

Last edited:
Whats helpful about something like this? I dont get it.

You can see areas that are obviously problematic.

Keep in mind this is fatal accidents, though I'm not sure what the criteria for that is, whether they had to be pronounced dead on site, on arrival or later.

I would also say it hasn't been updated in a long while. I remember seeing this some time ago, and I know of two separate moto fatalities that happened around my town late last summer that aren't on the map.

I had no idea this map existed until tonight. Tried searching to see if it had been posted, but I found nothing.

Essentially this is a map of all fatal accidents that have happened in the GTA since January 2008. It includes pedestrian, bicycle, cars and motorcycles.

http://www.thestar.com/staticcontent/810060

It appears to cover only the period from January, 2008 to early July, 2010 for motorcycle fatalities. So the data base has not been updated for motorcycle fatalities for the last 20 months. It covers a period before July 3, 2010 of 30 months and 18 motorcycle fatalities. What the source of this data is and whether it covers all motorcycle fatalities or just the ones reported by the Toronto Star is not stated. Nor are any details as to the nature of the accident, whether single or multi-vehicle, time of day, traffic situation, etc., etc.,

In conclusion, it is an interesting (but not altogether accurate) use of GPS plotting techniques but virtually useless in discovering anything which might be of use to us motorcyclists.

AFJ

Yes, agree - there's not enough information.
It is very different if rider failed on a straight line, or there was a pot-hole, or it was in a dangerous curve, or a spot where other vehicle drivers nailing two-wheel vehicles, etc.

You can see areas that are obviously problematic.

Keep in mind this is fatal accidents, though I'm not sure what the criteria for that is, whether they had to be pronounced dead on site, on arrival or later.

The one at Airport and Steeles indicates death was pronounced the next day, so we know that limitation is out.

I don't consider it all that helpful, perhaps mildly interesting. I think Insurance write-offs for where vehicles are most prone to getting destroyed in crashes would be much more educational. To be truly helpful though, the map would also need un-reported crashes... Hey, I can dream.

Back
Top Bottom