Help Us Be Track Day/Race Day Spectators | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help Us Be Track Day/Race Day Spectators

Most track day organizers (Pro6 etc) allow spectators at every track they go to. Their red group riders are fast, and would give you the "zoom" fix you're looking for. You can also watch the Nationals at Shannonville etc, but I believe they usually charge at the gate to get in. It's worth the money though, as there is A LOT of talent right now, and with the Superbike race you're guaranteed to see a good race! And the support is always welcomed! Here is the link to the Parts Canada website which will give you the full schedule: http://www.csbk.ca/ Have fun!

Thanks so much for the linked schedule (also helped me to find the mosport webpage!) and tip about the "red group" riders. Support we will :)

We will print this! Thanks so much for writing up the where-you-must-be-for-the-action planbook. Sure wish we had this kind of information for the Forumla 1 in Montreal (where we stumbled around for hours trying to peak the action over rails, and through fences until we found a decent spot)! This is an incredible resource!

Where to start? Outside of track on corner 1 just past the tunnels to see them come hard off the start through corner 1. Inside of the track on the hill between corners 2 and 3 to see them sweep over the crest at the start of 2 and dive into the blind downhill of a very fast corner 2. Lots end up on the grass here. Outside of the track at corner 3 where you can see them come out of 2, set up for 3, and accelerate off before they disappear into the dip at 4. Outside of the track at 5 to see them dive into 4, then come up a very steep rise into 5, the 90 degree corner that comprises 5A, the even tighter 90 degree corner that comprises 5B, and then accelerate through the left hand sweeper at 5C that leads onto the back straight. Very technical and often low speed contact here in the 5a and 5B apexes. If you're situated right, you can also see them accelerating and running hard half way up the back straight. Outside of the track at 6, midpoint of back straight, for sheer speed and some wheel-lift on the hump there. Outside of the track at corner 7, almost near the end of the back straight, where you can see them at peak speeds before they cut and lean hard for the broad corner 8 sweeper. Inside of track at corner 9 where you can watch them come out of that corner 8 sweeper to negotiate the right-left-right S-bend leading onto the front straight. Outside of corner 9 for the higher up viewing point. Sitting on the outside of the front straight to watch the start and finish.

Yes, trackdays are great too! Thanks so much for the invite. I will send you an email for sure.

If you are interested in trackdays I always have a standing invitation to everyone wanting more information to be my guest at a Racer5 trackday. I can explain how the days work, how to get involved and as log as conditions permit also take you for a ride around the track (in the track truck). If you are interested in coming out feel free to email me at Fawaz@racer5.ca Best of luck! Fawaz

A BIG thank-you to everyone who replied! All your invitations are encouraging, and so very much appreciated. We will definitely be seeing you around soon.

I am going to be at mosport for sure, I hear it is lovely :p

I went to Calabogie about 2 years ago, and didn't even know we were allowed anywhere other than the view point from atop the big hill between the track and the parking lot and all the way down to turn 2. I wanted to see more of the track... However, it was awesome to stand at the exit of the left hand sweeper on the starts and see them make their way through...

I've been spoiled by motocross, I can get almost on to the track, and most tracks you can see most of the action.
Sure, road racing is fast, but the risks being taken on a dirt bike track are constant from the time the gate drops (40 bikes all side by side, handle bars an inch apart all gassing it for a corner that might fit 5 bikes) to the checkered. there is ALWAYS some kind of contact in the first few corners, bikes flying 100' through the air sideways next to eachother, tricky rhythm sections, decreasing track conditions as the day goes on.
You can walk through the pits and talk to anyone, and it seems everyone there just to watch is also friendly.

So, I suggest you check out one of these events as well. Street bikes are cool and all, but I was a bit bored of watching them after a little bit of time. I can watch MX for an entire weekend and not be bored of it, you just never know what is about to happen.

The nationals are one thing; regionals are quite another. The nationals have a small number of classes which are all top-level. Regionals, on the other hand, generally have almost non-stop action through the whole day. And they're usually less expensive to get into, and it's easier to talk to the competitors. (we don't bite - well, not most of us, anyway)

Next weekend is SOAR at Cayuga. It's close to Toronto, it's cheap to get in. No grandstands, but you can walk right up next to the action. Saturday has qualifying races and then a 3-hour endurance race from approx 2 pm to 5 pm. Sunday has final races from late morning to late afternoon.

Plenty of the participants are members of this very forum.

Brian (RACE / SOAR Expert #64)

I think this is a great idea too. But, I couldn't get in touch with the right people. I tried, emailed numerous times. In the end I figured that the season had already begun, and we had missed the training, etc, making it too late to bring new marshalls on board. Still, we love the idea, especially with the chance to join the race school for free! We will ask again next year :cool:

Become a Marshall!! You'll get the best seats, meet riders and learn a whole lot - This is the path I'm taking.
There is also many other benefits, like do 10 soar events and get a free race school!!
http://soaracing.ca/html/marshals.htm

Don't wait for the Mosport weekend, go check out the SOAR races this weekend at Cayuga. It's only about an hour and a half drive from Toronto. You won't find a more welcoming and friendly atmosphere on a race day. Cayuga is great because you can see the entire track when standing by the wall only mere feet away from the main straight (where you will feel your body rumble as the bikes speed past you). Plus there are usually drag races happening at the same time on the near by strip, so you get double the action.

Mosport is certainly a must see, but the course is giant in comparison surrounded by hills and forest so you won't be able to watch the entire race like you can at the flat open tracks like Cayuga and Shannonville. Yes you can walk to different view spots and get a partial view of the the track a few corners at a time, but keep in mind it's on average a 5-10 minute walk from one spot to another. No shortage of excitement for sure (I love the spot just at the end of the back straight where the bikes come out of the forrest) but don't expect to be sitting in a grand stand with a pair of binoculars sipping a drink. You may even want to bring your own folding chairs.

All the tracks have food and snacks and charge admission during races. You can just show up and buy a ticket at the gates.

A track day would also be a great time for you to visit (go bug Fawaz during a Racer5 day, he likes the attention!). While the level of excitement isn't nearly the same and you won't see actual starts, the red group riders ride nearly at race pace and can be just as much fun to watch. Plus you'll be able to talk and mingle with many of the participants, it's a more relaxed atmosphere then a race day. There is no admission fee if you want to visit a Shanonvilee track day, Cayuga does charge a visitor's fee if you are not on a list of participants (but you can still get in).

Last edited:
As the previous posters have mentioned there are many great options here close to home. I would also like to mention the Indy gp, an easy 9hour drive from the GTA. 3 days of incredible racing. www.motogp.com Do the Mosport double header in August and hightail it south the following weekend.

I think this is a great idea too. But, I couldn't get in touch with the right people. I tried, emailed numerous times. In the end I figured that the season had already begun, and we had missed the training, etc, making it too late to bring new marshalls on board. Still, we love the idea, especially with the chance to join the race school for free! We will ask again next year :cool:

Pm Sent with contact info, it's not to late. I helped train a new marshal not long ago.

MMRS (motocross) is always looking for new flaggers as well... You'll practically be standing on the track and they pay, I think it's $70/day.

Race this weekend is in Lindsay, one of the best tracks!

$10 gate fee to watch it all day.

Back
Top Bottom