Help! - Recommendations for Back Protectors | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help! - Recommendations for Back Protectors

OP, get the ICON squid vest ;)

Not sure what this means, sarcastic or not.

I picked up an Icon Field Armor vest a few years ago. I picked up for cold weather riding as figured out if I was wearing a vest under my leather jacket, why not go with some protection. It is warm so if you are thinking full-on summer, you'll be needing a rethink. I do like the chest protection offered.

I normally run with a Joe Rocket Ballistic.

2uqcf0j.jpg

Last edited:
Lol smart ***!

Ok let me reiterate lol. For more of an everyday guys like you and I.
I wouldn't be going with the cheap stuff. Bottom of barrel etc. I took a spill at the track. Ha my gp pro gloves. And thank goodness. Now I need a new pair cause of the palms. But I'm sure with a cheap pair of joe rockets I would have been scrapping my skin off the Tarmac.
Now as noted above I said joe rocket. In the same crash I had a joe rocket suit on. It just happened to come with the bike when I bought it. Held up so so. But I've seen some long slides and more expensive suits hold up!

Not saying go buy one with the air bag deployment!
But yes you can still get great gear for a little bit more then a "cheapy"

But I'll follow this thread as I too will be looking to purchase come track season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass lmao

Don't understand why you think JR gloves would disintegrate on impact though, aren't they tested to certain levels of certification? I have some $80 A* gloves that I trust and are quite well built but I can't see JR gloves just falling apart, they could be less comfortable though... but I don't know, haven't tried em on. And yes I would love to have a $2000 suit but my $100 second hand JR suit that I have will do me just fine, I don't plan on doing 200km/h everywhere I go anyway.

The forcefield does look like it'd be more comfortable and maybe even fit in the suit better...so I will have to think about that!

Forcefield...check out Bluestreak Racing. They were reasonably priced the other year but not sure about current pricing.

Edit: they have no HST and free shipping events time to time..doesn't hurt to ask if you call.

Cool I'll keep an eye out.... time to start looking for deals! :D (and always tell the wife I paid half of what I did lol)

Revzilla had the teknic back protector on sale like 60% off so I picked up one of those. Have family in the states so shipping was free

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

FWIW: I have had my back fused - I'm missing L4- L5 and L5 - S1.
In '09, I had a nasty crash, breaking ribs, cracked shoulder / collarbone while wearing one of these and I suffered zero damage to my back.
Lifetime warranty, i.e. you'll never have to buy another one. I've used the warranty once and had 80% of the protector shipped to me, and it meets your budget.
It's from: http://www.highvelocitygear.com/backprotector.html

Cool thanks for all the input everyone! I'll be making my choice soon...

Not sure what this means, sarcastic or not.

I picked up an Icon Field Armor vest a few years ago. I picked up for cold weather riding as figured out if I was wearing a vest under my leather jacket, why not go with some protection. It is warm so if you are thinking full-on summer, you'll be needing a rethink. I do like the chest protection offered.

I normally run with a Joe Rocket Ballistic.

2uqcf0j.jpg

I have the same vest and use it under my textile jacket that has minimal back protection. When I got started I should have bought a better jacket to begin with that had CE level of armour. My second jacket has turned out to be a better option and I bought the CE level 2 back protector for it.

Another option for OP is to get something like this that can be worn on its own; yet can have the straps removed to put into a jacket from the same manufacturer. I use mine in my Icon mesh jacket but I think some other companies also have strap on back protectors that can also go into their jackets.

One of the advantages this has over the vest is that it limits hyper extension of the spine. This is with me reefing on it:

It offers better protection than the vest does and it fits right into the pocket of the jacket. Now I just put one jacket on instead of having to put a vest on and then a jacket etc.

A* and others may have a similar system where a back protector like this can have the straps removed and it can go into their existing jackets as an upgrade over what comes stock with the jacket.

As a side note, the Icon Stryker vest is CE rated. This back protector I have in my mesh jacket is actually CE level 2 rated. I do not know what the heck the difference is between the ratings. My crappy textile jacket just has bits of padding in it so using the vest in conjunction with the jacket is a huge upgrade versus not having anything.

If I could do it all over again I would have spent more on my initial gear. That being said, low level gear is much better than no gear at all.

Edit: Good old Wikipedia. Here is a quick synopsis of the differences between CE level 1 and 2 with respect to back armour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_armor

"EN1621-2 assesses armor designed to protect the back/spine. It is a more stringent standard sllowing no more than 18 kN of force to be transmitted to attain Level 1 protection (EN-1621-2 CE Level 1). Armor that allows less than 9 kN of force to be transmitted can attain a Level 2 protection (EN-1621-2 CE Level 2). See section below for more information."

So, in essence the CE level 2 allows HALF the transmitted forces which (to me anyways) is pretty significant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom