Help! - Recommendations for Back Protectors | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help! - Recommendations for Back Protectors

rye

Site Supporter
Hey everyone! I'm still a newbie and am picking up some gear and wanted to ask for recommendations or suggestions for back protectors. I was hoping I could learn from your experience and make the right purchase! I tried doing a search but didn't come up with much about reviews or opinions on this subject here, so I thought I would ask.

I've been looking at a few different models that I can strap on under my jacket or 1 pc suit and have narrowed it down to these 3 in my price range (if anyone has other suggestions feel free!):

Alpinestars Bionic Race Back Protector
astar-bionic-back-protector.gif

Alpinestars Bionic Air Back Protector
Alpinestars_Bionic_Air_Back_Protector_Black_Lg.jpg

Joe Rocket Back Protector
SpeedmasterBackProtector1-43.jpg

Although I have no experience with these particular models, I believe Alpinestars to be a better brand (upmarket/higher quality) than Joe Rocket.

forcefield and dainese are getting up there in price.. I'm looking at around the $100 price range

I'd suggest the Forcefield one as well. Remember that the Forcefield is designed to be reuseable in an accident whereas the rest aren't!

Have you tried any on? I prefer A* to JR but haven't tried any of the models above on. I have a Knox back protector and like it but it is more expensive.

You will definitely want to try them on obviously and a couple things to think about from the pictures above are: do you want shoulder straps?I find it more comfortable with them but not everyone does. The first and second ones have different shapes near the shoulders which will fit differently in your jacket. Also keep in mind how far down the padding comes, when you are bent over riding it is good but it will sit differently if you sit up while riding. Mine comes down pretty far which is good when I am tucked in on the track but isn't comfortable if I street ride and try to situp more upright.

I'd suggest the Forcefield one as well. Remember that the Forcefield is designed to be reuseable in an accident whereas the rest aren't!

Hmmm good to know but would you want to reuse something that protects such a vital area?

Have you tried any on? I prefer A* to JR but haven't tried any of the models above on. I have a Knox back protector and like it but it is more expensive.

You will definitely want to try them on obviously and a couple things to think about from the pictures above are: do you want shoulder straps?I find it more comfortable with them but not everyone does. The first and second ones have different shapes near the shoulders which will fit differently in your jacket. Also keep in mind how far down the padding comes, when you are bent over riding it is good but it will sit differently if you sit up while riding. Mine comes down pretty far which is good when I am tucked in on the track but isn't comfortable if I street ride and try to situp more upright.

Yeah that's why I was asking for opinions, there's nothing near me where I could try these on at...so just looking for opinions for now on what to look for or if anyone had anything bad to say about any of my choices too, then I'd steer away from them! I sit more hunched over and arms bent than upright and arms straight so if it's longer that's better, more protection too.

Pay cheap buy twice...

Pay too much wife divorces you. lol

Always the case. With most everything.
Spend a little more now, understand it's pricier for a reason. Don't put a price on your safety.
IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that reasoning everyone should have a $1000 SHOEI helmet, $2000 Dainese leathers, and they should be riding a BMW with ABS because it's the "Safest" and most expensive bike....not saying I'm going to cheap out, I think I picked some quality options.

I guess I asked for opinions though... but yeah, $100 budget is what I'm sticking to, appreciate the input though whatever it is! :D

With that reasoning everyone should have a $1000 SHOEI helmet, $2000 Dainese leathers, and they should be riding a BMW with ABS because it's the "Safest" and most expensive bike....not saying I'm going to cheap out, I think I picked some quality options.

I guess I asked for opinions though... but yeah, $100 budget is what I'm sticking to, appreciate the input though whatever it is! :D

Lol smart ass!

Ok let me reiterate lol. For more of an everyday guys like you and I.
I wouldn't be going with the cheap stuff. Bottom of barrel etc. I took a spill at the track. Ha my gp pro gloves. And thank goodness. Now I need a new pair cause of the palms. But I'm sure with a cheap pair of joe rockets I would have been scrapping my skin off the Tarmac.
Now as noted above I said joe rocket. In the same crash I had a joe rocket suit on. It just happened to come with the bike when I bought it. Held up so so. But I've seen some long slides and more expensive suits hold up!

Not saying go buy one with the air bag deployment!
But yes you can still get great gear for a little bit more then a "cheapy"

But I'll follow this thread as I too will be looking to purchase come track season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure. I called John Bickle. Quick delivery. Have you tried Kijji. They are fully washable.
My friend did something really stupid whilst I was watching. I clipped the sidewalk laughing my head off, went airborne and landed on my back. I actually bounced. Thank goodness for the protector. Worth every penny.

http://www.bickleracing.com/

Last edited:
Forcefield...check out Bluestreak Racing. They were reasonably priced the other year but not sure about current pricing.

Edit: they have no HST and free shipping events time to time..doesn't hurt to ask if you call.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom