Helmets, what to get and why? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmets, what to get and why?

Rico

I know everyone will have a different opinion on what helmet is better but getting back into it again Ive been looking for a decent helmet to get and decided with the AGV K-3 helmet. I don't go to the track, or wont be for that matter, I was looking for something comfortable, with such a price fluctuation from $86 to $1,330 what does one really go with or need for that matter.

Online you see all the specs and fancy designs but are all as safe? It took me a while to read up and look online to find one that seemed to be a decent helmet and price, reviews looked ok so i got it.

What is your deciding factor in getting a helmet and why? :D

I just got a Shoei RF-1100 helmet for Xmas, from www.revzilla.com
Revzilla will not ship Shoei outside of the States, so I had it shipped to an address in the USA. That was an additional pain, I would not had done, but I was traveling to the USA anyways. I am wearing a Suomy, and before that an Arai, and kind of wanted to go back to Arai. At the same time, I wanted to try something new. I started looking at options, and there are so many decent helmets out there that it's just mind boggling, entire websites dedicated to review them.

I started looking at Shoei just because it is the other big name in helmets from Japan. The Shoei RF-1200 is out and the reviews are excellent, but the RF-1100 was on sale... I used the savings to buy a tinted visor and Pinlock lense insert.

I posted a picture in the multimedia forum... http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...est-Purchase&p=2117898&viewfull=1#post2117898

What is your deciding factor in getting a helmet and why? :D

Washable liner. Full coverage. Quick change face shield. Basic one colour design. Priced to reflect 3rd world labour, tax and environmental laws. Base model HJC fits the bill (that's just an expression, I have regular lips).

All certified helmets are tested to the same standards, and I am not convinced anymore that a $900 helmet will protect me any better than a $200 one.......It will have nicer vents, better paint, softer lining, replaceable parts etc.

I used to buy $900 helmets....still have a few. However, I haven't paid more than $250 in the past decade for a helmet, and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.

Check to be sure the helmet is certified, and then buy the one that fits you the best.

I spend a lot of time in the saddle, so for me, the most important criteria was comfort, weight and noise. If the helmet doesn't meet any of those three factors, it'll make you want to get off the bike early.

Secondary was utilitarian functions like integrated sun-visor, anti-fogging tech, removable and washable pads, replaceable (and readily available) parts.

It applies to pretty much all gear, but helmets are all about fit. Ontario's long, droning highways and low speed limits will make you regret following the conventional advice of "snug". Yes, it's not supposed to slide around on your head. No, it's not supposed to restrict blood circulation to your ears, scalp or face. Obvious? 10 minutes in a shop with no wind pressure can be misleading. None of the below helmets ever seemed to "break in" like shoes would.

Shoei RF1000 XL (checked by sales rep, also a rider) = Good for 45 minutes before the ear aches. Then the burning at the top of my head.

Arai Quantum 2 XL (tried 4 different models with Arai rep checking) = Good for an hour before two forehead hotspots. Ears seemed fine until I took the helmet off, then GAHHHHHH! Shame because I LOVED the visor system folks seem to hate, plus there was less turbulence at speed.

Shoei RF1100 = Went to a certain shop on a slow day. The owner listened for a minute, opened a new XXL and invited me to try on other helmets too. So I did, without finding a better match. It's my current helmet, 3-4 hours wear time with zero discomfort, 7-8 with breaks (for back/knees). It's a "snug" fit too and doesn't slide around. Hallelujah!

All three were on sale, with multiple graphic versions available, so proper fit doesn't preclude looks or budgets, especially considering the huge variety of available brands and price points.

I just got a Shoei RF-1100 helmet for Xmas, from www.revzilla.com
Revzilla will not ship Shoei outside of the States, so I had it shipped to an address in the USA. That was an additional pain, I would not had done, but I was traveling to the USA anyways. I am wearing a Suomy, and before that an Arai, and kind of wanted to go back to Arai. At the same time, I wanted to try something new. I started looking at options, and there are so many decent helmets out there that it's just mind boggling, entire websites dedicated to review them.

I started looking at Shoei just because it is the other big name in helmets from Japan. The Shoei RF-1200 is out and the reviews are excellent, but the RF-1100 was on sale... I used the savings to buy a tinted visor and Pinlock lense insert.

I posted a picture in the multimedia forum... http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...est-Purchase&p=2117898&viewfull=1#post2117898

Kahuna were blowing out RF1100's for less than $200 last month.

Kahuna were blowing out RF1100's for less than $200 last month.

Nah, thank you... I have some experience with these local sales. I believe the $200 advertised is only for solid colors... only in certain extreme sizes like xxS and 2xxL... and only for "floor models" which half of GTAM already tried them on...

If you are lucky to find something that fits, then add 13% taxes...

Now, if you saw the exact same helmet for $200 in my size, I guess I missed out...

I spend a lot of time in the saddle, so for me, the most important criteria was comfort, weight and noise. If the helmet doesn't meet any of those three factors, it'll make you want to get off the bike early.

Secondary was utilitarian functions like integrated sun-visor, anti-fogging tech, removable and washable pads, replaceable (and readily available) parts.

+1

also, make sure you deal with good store who can advise you about the true performance of the helmet,
not just convince you to take a deal because the helmet is X% off.

helmet makes a HUGE difference in comfort. so make sure you get proper advice, and buy what fits your needs the best within your budget.

if weight matters, then try to stay under 1200g… if you can get one @ 1075 or 1100g then super!

I'm a fan of Bell, HJC, BMW and Kaos.

I love my rf 1100. It's light enough and comfortable all day for me. That said not every helmet is good for everyone. Try them all on and find the best fit. Price isn't a factor for most with a helmet. You only have one head

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Now, if you saw the exact same helmet for $200 in my size, I guess I missed out...

I went right at the beginning of the sale and they did not have that exact helmet (as I recall). They did have a quite a good selection of colours and sizes for the prices they were selling them at. I managed to get two RF1100's for $338 all in. One to match my bike and another because I liked it.
RF-1100-Pure-Orange.jpg
RF-1100_Rollin_TC-5.jpg

Assuming the helmet meets safety specs, I also buy for fit and function while trying not to spend more than $300. I also look for washable liners, good ventilation and easy to remove shields. Another thing I like about the RF1100 is that there is a good amount of space between my chin and the front of the helmet - good if I need to scratch an itch and it's also much better for having some room for the mic on my helmet communicator.
A helmet must be able to remain comfortable while riding for 10hr days at highway speeds and I found on some of my previous helmets that they were either too heavy or had poor aerodynamics, so my neck would get sore on longer rides.

On a side note, donate your old helmets to your local fire hall for them to practice taking helmets off in emergencies.

Last edited:
I went right at the beginning of the sale and they did not have that exact helmet (as I recall). They did have a quite a good selection of colours and sizes for the prices they were selling them at. I managed to get two RF1100's for $338 all in. One to match my bike and another because I liked it.

That was a great sale, $150 per helmet plus tax, for those prices I am surprised they had any graphics and any sizes...

Nah, thank you... I have some experience with these local sales. I believe the $200 advertised is only for solid colors... only in certain extreme sizes like xxS and 2xxL... and only for "floor models" which half of GTAM already tried them on...

If you are lucky to find something that fits, then add 13% taxes...

I went myself, I got a helmet for myself, the color and size I was looking for, I also got a large for jay and a medium one for adam, all were really nice and not unicolor at all

200 bucks can't go wrong
2013-12-14

+1

if weight matters, then try to stay under 1200g… if you can get one @ 1075 or 1100g then super!

I'm a fan of Bell, HJC, BMW and Kaos.

LOL.....so keeping it under 1200g means, out of 300+ helmets tested by a reputable source, choose one of 3 helmets available?
As far as I have read, 1500-1600g is considered the "light helmet" line. Good luck even finding one at your 1075g preferred weight, unless you wanna go open faced.

Read this:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

Last edited:
I went myself, I got a helmet for myself, the color and size I was looking for, I also got a large for jay and a medium one for adam, all were really nice and not unicolor at all

200 bucks can't go wrong

you just made me go check mine, I ordered a Large..lol

shoei_rf1100_diabolic_feud_helmet_detail.jpg

$200

and it weighs 1628g

I wear a Bell Custom 500 open face due to comfort with a bubble shield. Liner isn't washable so I wear a bandana.

I do want to buy a full but I'm going to be hard to fit.

Back
Top Bottom