helmet hurts after an hour | GTAMotorcycle.com

helmet hurts after an hour

ice05

Site Supporter
Hi Guys,
Got an XS Shoei which fits snug/well....up till you hit the 45-60 minute mark riding...then it just feels like my head is slowly getting crushed
Does anyone else have a problem when your helmet feels TIGHTER after some time riding?
Does it mean I should get a looser helmet? I tried the S and it felt like I already broke it in right out of the box so I was nervous it would be super loose once fully broken in...

ive seen this thread http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...female-helmet-question&highlight=helmet+tight
and http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...female-helmet-question&highlight=helmet+tight
and http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...elment-info-for-newbie&highlight=helmet+tight

but unlike most of the posts in the above threads my problem is that in store it fit fine..and up till I hit 45-60 it fits great...then it starts to get real painful.

If your helmet padding is removable. you could always try swapping it out for the "small" size padding. I am positive that the outer/inner shell dimensions are the same on the XS & SM.
I may be wrong tho, It has happened b4:) But hey, It's worth a shot.

Cheers

Sounds like you've got the wrong "shape" of helmet. Shoei's typically fit round-ish heads, Arai's typically fit jar-heads (elongated heads). Sounds like the forehead padding is lifting or pushing down with the wind, and thus squeezing your forehead. Try a different brand, sell the other. Also, your head expands after a while in the heat, take that into consideration when breaking in a new lid.

See:https://www.motomummy.com/store/home.php?cat=

Lower left (4 links).

Last edited:
I used to have the same problem with my second Shoei helmet. Interestingly enough, the first one fit fine. Rumour has it they had a major shape change between the RF900 and RF1000. I now have an Arai, which for my head seems much better.

Sounds like you've got the wrong "shape" of helmet. Shoei's typically fit round-ish heads, Arai's typically fit jar-heads (elongated heads).

I thought it was the opposite, you sure you didn't mix things up? As far as I know Arai has three different variations and one of these is for totally round heads, others are for slightly elongated heads.

I thought it was the opposite, you sure you didn't mix things up? As far as I know Arai has three different variations and one of these is for totally round heads, others are for slightly elongated heads.
Prince is misinformed. Arai makes helmets for different shaped heads...oval and round etc

Unfortunately, as far as I remember, the XS has its own shell size. It's the small and medium that share the same shell size, but use different thickness padding. It looks like you may have picked up the wrong size.

The suggestion that it may be the wrong shape is also a possibility. Did you buy this from a local dealer? How much did they help you with the fitting?

Anyway, you can try selling this XS that you have. The good thing about Shoeis is that the liner is completely replaceable, so it's not so gross buying used, so they're easier to sell. But you'll likely need to educate the buyer about that, as few people know that.

Good luck.

I tried the RF and found that pressed on my head too much... I have the Qwest which for the first 45 minutes (including the 30 min I had it on in store) was much more comfy on my round head LOL.

Maybe its what Prince was sayin with heat expanding my head? It was really painful coming home today and as soon as I took the helmet off all better...waited 5 min and it didnt hurt again :S

Maybe ill pick up a cheap small? I know I used to have a small HJC and that felt like a boat after it was broken in...

so no chance me "breaking it in" will mean itll loosen any more right? cut my losses and buy a new one?

I tried the RF and found that pressed on my head too much... I have the Qwest which for the first 45 minutes (including the 30 min I had it on in store) was much more comfy on my round head LOL.

Maybe its what Prince was sayin with heat expanding my head? It was really painful coming home today and as soon as I took the helmet off all better...waited 5 min and it didnt hurt again :S

Maybe ill pick up a cheap small? I know I used to have a small HJC and that felt like a boat after it was broken in...

so no chance me "breaking it in" will mean itll loosen any more right? cut my losses and buy a new one?

When did you buy it? It can take a few days to break it in. It should break in faster in the heat.

I bought it a month back but im a newb (that and I had the old helmet) I only noticed the pain recently as Ive started riding longer? before my rides were 40 min or less before taking a "break"? I guess I didnt feel it then?

I know this sounds bad but at lights (long ones on main roads) on the way home Id be playing with the helmet to loosen some of the "pressure I feel pressing down on the top of my head..I wouldnt take the helmet off at all but move it up and "jossle" it around..sometimes it helps sometimes it doesnt.

You should always buy what fits you best. If you are worried it doesn't fit you perfect now but you can break it in you are buying the wrong item.

yup looking like...that or keep taking 4 minute breaks every 45 minutes lol. ok now off to go look for sales on shoeis or arais ... :S

Get a haircut

I know this sounds bad but at lights (long ones on main roads) on the way home Id be playing with the helmet to loosen some of the "pressure I feel pressing down on the top of my head..I wouldnt take the helmet off at all but move it up and "jossle" it around..sometimes it helps sometimes it doesnt.

Haha I know exactly what you mean. My last helmet was a Shoei X-11 in size L. I would have the same problem.. after wearing it for about 30-45 minutes, I would have hot spots of pain on my head. So while riding, I would try to move the helmet around. Most of the time it wouldn't help.

This season, I decided to try a new helmet. Bought a Shoei Qwest in L and haven't had the problem since then.
My head is rounder, so the Qwest fits me much better than the X-11. Couldn't be happier.

Maybe put something thin on your head when going on short rides so the helmet lining compresses a bit more - might make the padding open up a bit over a few rides then you would be good without it.
I guess the liner is not removable.

Maybe put something thin on your head when going on short rides so the helmet lining compresses a bit more - might make the padding open up a bit over a few rides then you would be good without it.I guess the liner is not removable.
the liner on the qwest isnt removable sadly... would insertin something during riding make it unsafe?

Back
Top Bottom