helmet hurts after an hour | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

helmet hurts after an hour

Use a tape measure and make sure you are within the boundaries for the XS size.

Either you are out of range, or the helmet shape is wrong. I doubt cheek pads would cause such pain as they are pretty compressible but that could also be a problem.

The haircut suggestion may not be too far off the mark. Get it down to the bone. Cooler also!
LOL as much as id like to 1...my head shape does not look good shaved... 2... Im a girl, despite not being too girly i still enjoy lookin like one now and then lol

Use a tape measure and make sure you are within the boundaries for the XS size.Either you are out of range, or the helmet shape is wrong. I doubt cheek pads would cause such pain as they are pretty compressible but that could also be a problem.
Its weird but I fall in between small and medium in tape measurement but when I tried on a medium it was super loose.. Even the small you could move the helmet and my head wouldnt go... And it also felt loose/ not snug so i went XS cuz it was snug and comfy... Tried the 30 min test but pain only starts after...I may end up havin to get another helmet or cheaper alternatives for now would be to try and flatten the cheekpads or take breaks when my head starts to hurt

If I can do the cheaper alternatives do helmets tend to go on sale pre season, end of season or off season? Ive been to the jan supershow but I didnt notice much of a price difference? Anyone know best time to buy at the best available price on shoeis or arais?

Last edited:
Now that you've said you are a girl....is your hair done up in the helmet to cause pressure points? Maybe change the way you do your hair in the helmet.

I bought a very thin silk liner today that fits tight, makes the helmet very easy to get on and off and is very low friction and that might work for you to keep your hair tight to your head and reduce any pressure points as the helmet moves around much easier. Very pleased.
Once the helmet breaks in a bit more you can go without it.

The guy at Two Wheel in Guelph says he can't keep them in stock.

Also wonder if there is something headsized to store the helmet on that would keep some pressure on the padding to compress it while you are not riding.

Last edited:
Now that you've said you are a girl....is your hair done up in the helmet to cause pressure points? Maybe change the way you do your hair in the helmet.

I have a low ponytail so the ponytail starts at the base of the helmet I think?

I bought a very thin silk liner today that fits tight, makes the helmet very easy to get on and of and is very low friction and that might work for you to keep your hair tight to your head and reduce any pressure points as the helmet moves around much easier. Very pleased.

The guy at Two Wheel in Guelph says he can't keep them in stock.

do you know waht thats called? I can try and see if they have it and if it will help?

Last edited:
Called the Oxford Ultrathin Silk Balaclava - ( don't be put off with the balaclava it slips under the chin just fine and actually makes the straps more comfortable )

If you can wear your existing helmet for 1/2 hour I'd work on trying to get it worn in enough to be comfortable before chasing another.
Got a glass bowl or some such you can use to compress it? - it's likely tight around the forehead which is the easiest to compress.

Also the cheek pads may be removable - I ride without them often - they may be making you clench your jaw which will tighten your temple muscles.

Got a glass bowl or some such you can use to compress it? - it's likely tight around the forehead which is the easiest to compress.

Also the cheek pads may be removable - I ride without them often - they may be making you clench your jaw which will tighten your temple muscles.

thanks for the suggestion!! its weird but the forehead doesnt hurt...just the top/side of my head? might be clenching jaw and my cheeks do look like chipmunks when I have the helmet on lol...will try the suggestions and will try and find something thatll fit in my XS to compress

It's all this heat...made your head expand, wait til the cooler temps arrive your head will shrink.
Other than stickin your head in a vice...wear the helmet as much as you can stand and it'll compress enough. My new helmet (AGV Buell) is already loosin it up after only a few days...my ears were foldin over a bit...lol.
Not so bad now.

Prince is misinformed. Arai makes helmets for different shaped heads...oval and round etc

Prince is "not" misinformed. As long as I've been riding, (20 years), if you had a round head, you went Shoei. You had a jar-head, you went Arai. Bell was somewhere in the middle. Here is proof of my experience:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Arai narrow head

It is true that both manufacturers are working on correcting that, and it is true that it started after the RF-900 (2008?) Why either would target one head shape or the other for so many years and lose market-share is not good business. There are so many new helmet manufacturers coming into the market now that will address "all" head shapes, that Arai and Shoei have had to join in, or get left behind. They should develop a colour-coded standard for head shapes.

OP, how long did the store clerk spend with you fitting this helmet. Do you still have the receipt? Hurting the sides of your head, and "chipmunk" cheeks, the helmet is too narrow at the top, and squishing your cheeks its clear that overall it's too small. What part of the GTA are you in? My suggestion: take the lid back with someone who knows what they're doing, and isn't afraid to scream a bit. Seeing you're a chick the leg-humpers on here will be more than glad to help you get it exchanged. I'm not a leg-humper, but if no one in your area volunteers, PM me, and I'll go with you to get the lid exchanged for something that fits. A helmet should "never" fit like a medieval torture device.

Last edited:
Prince is "not" misinformed. As long as I've been riding, (20 years), if you had a round head, you went Shoei. You had a jar-head, you went Arai. Bell was somewhere in the middle. Here is proof of my experience:

It is true that both manufacturers are working on correcting that, and it is true that it started after the RF-900 (2008?) Why either would target one head shape or the other for so many years and lose market-share is not good business. There are so many new helmet manufacturers coming into the market now that will address "all" head shapes, that Arai and Shoei have had to join in, or get left behind. They should develop a colour-coded standard for head shapes.

OP, how long did the store clerk spend with you fitting this helmet. Do you still have the receipt? Hurting the sides of your head, and "chipmunk" cheeks, the helmet is too narrow at the top, and squishing your cheeks its clear that overall it's too small. What part of the GTA are you in? My suggestion: take the lid back with someone who knows what they're doing, and isn't afraid to scream a bit. Seeing you're a chick the leg-humpers on here will be more than glad to help you get it exchanged. I'm not a leg-humper, but if no one in your area volunteers, PM me, and I'll go with you to get the lid exchanged for something that fits. A helmet should "never" fit like a medieval torture device.

Actually the Arai and Shoei head thing is largely a thing of the past. I still use it as a sort of shorthand, but both manufacturers make shells in both shapes now. See the link I posted, on page one of this thread.

Sounds to me like the helmet is simply too small. It should not hurt, regardless of whether you had a haircut or its hot out today.

You should be able to ride 10 hours in sweltering heat and your helmet should still sit comfortably on your head. If it don't, what good is it?

purchase date was around June 13, 2011....then I bought the bike from them end of june roughly? It was at Kahuna. Person that helped me was really great I had an RF-1000 on for a good 30 min? and it was super painful. tried the qwest for about 10 minutes and it felt good. snug but not tight. and even now its fine for 30-45 min..

I dont know if theyd still exchange it...I didnt think theyd do exchanges on helmets and the person I was dealing with + scott who was there is no longer there :(

LOL to the leghumpers comment

Had the same problem with mine, bought online. Gave it to my wife and got myself a size bigger. Problem solved.

I dont know anyone that I can give/sell it to and if I tried to sell it I wouldnt get close to what I paid for realistically... I know I will probably have to purchase it but right now I dont have another 500+ to go on a helmet...and my other one is way too loose lol

ok so I tested out Macdoc's recommendation...took out the really really fat cheekpads and now the helmet it super loose lol. im gonna try and see if ordering thinner cheekpads might help cuz now even the XS is really loose LOL

Actually the Arai and Shoei head thing is largely a thing of the past. I still use it as a sort of shorthand, but both manufacturers make shells in both shapes now. See the link I posted, on page one of this thread.

Also, I found my RF-1000 and X-11 to fit differently. I have a classic intermediate oval shaped head, and all of the Shoei's fit me well. When it comes to Arai though, I can only wear certain models due to shape. Scorpion helmets fit me very well also.

Buy a new helmet

ok so I tested out Macdoc's recommendation...took out the really really fat cheekpads and now the helmet it super loose lol. im gonna try and see if ordering thinner cheekpads might help cuz now even the XS is really loose LOL

You really don't want to be removing the padding without replacing it with other padding specifically made for that helmet. No cheek pads means virtually no protection if hit in the face.

Back
Top Bottom