Helmet for rent around uptown? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet for rent around uptown?

timtek

Hi everyone,
it's been a long time since i last posted anything here...

my update:

i have the MSF course starting next weekend (may 28/29) at RTI-north york.

i have leather jacket (my only one so i'll try not to fall...),
jeans (=.=; ),
weather boots that cover ankle bones

i'll find a cheap leather gloves somewhere. They mentioned that it must cover the wrist bone, but didn't say it has to be gardening glove-type of leather so i might as well get a classy looking leather gloves.

PROBLEM: i don't have the helmet. i've looked around and i have to travel a good long distance to rent the helmet for the week. :(

is there any place that ppl know/have-connection that's near yonge+steele area that i can rent the helmet for the week?

Just a reminder that a helmet once it falls on the ground any distance over 4f, it will no longer protect you as the inside foam will break down.

Renting or buying used is not a good idea as most times there is no way to see visually if the helmet was dropped on not

Last edited:
Just a reminder that a helmet once it falls on the ground any distance over 4f, it will no longer protect you as the inside foam will brake down.

Renting or buying used is not a good idea as most times there is no way to see visually if the helmet was dropped on not

I believe that that is only the case if your head is inside the helmet. reference: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/arai-helmets/283819/ at around 7:13 in the video. (This is from Arai).

Parker Brothers on Kipling rents helmets http://www.powersports.ca/. There is also another thread regarding this issue: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?88792-Helmet-Rental

Last edited:
thanks for the responses, and thanks for the links Baggsy.

a friend mentioned parker bros but my initial reaction was -- "Kipling?! that's all the way at the west edge of Etobicoke! that's too far!" but then i started to find out that's pretty much the closer things....

i will give them a call tomorrow (if they're open) or check out wal-mart as the other thread went by.

is there any closer to North York area??? :(

"A helmet looks tough and sturdy,but it should be handled as a fragile
item. This means that you don't want to drop your helmet onto hard
surfaces. It could ruin your helmet. Remember that its function is to
absorb impacts."

This is from the MSF (motorcycle SAfe Foundation)

Replacing Your Helmet
Replace your helmet if it was involved in a crash; it probably absorbed
some impact shock. .
Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet every
two to four years. If you notice any signs of damage before then,
replace it sooner.
Why replace your helmet every few years if it doesn't appear
damaged? Its protective qualities may deteriorate with time and
wear. The chin strap may fray or loosen at its attaching points; the
shell could be chipped or damaged.

Anyways, my point was, buying a used helmet is not a good idea. knock yourself out..actually don't cause you have a used helmet

Last edited:
Just a reminder that a helmet once it falls on the ground any distance over 4f, it will no longer protect you as the inside foam will break down.

It's just for the course. It should be ok as long as they don't use it when they get a bike and go on the road with it.

Kinda wish I had done this and had more time to pick out a helmet.

i have the MSF course starting next weekend (may 28/29) at RTI-north york.

I'm doing the same one, I'll see you there.

Also, i plan on just buying a cheap bucket (around $50) for the course, so i don't have to wear my full face for 8hrs. It's comfortable and all, but if it's hot and were pushing bikes around, i don't think i will enjoy the full coverage

For the course I would recommend something open so you can hear better. You are also going tone pushing bikes around and working harder than regular riding. Your speeds will also not be as high as on streets and highways and there is not alot to run into except instructors, other bikes and the pavement. Also, bring a large garbage bag for rain. Have fun. I'm sure you will..

Oh forgot to mention make sure it is DOT or Snell approved. I don't think you can do the course unless it is.

thanks for the post everyone!

man...only if MSF courses allowed bicycle helmets hahaha

my father's against me going for M2 (he hates motorcycles...ugly past) so he's not really helpful...
i'll look aruond more. I'm not going to get the bike this year (financially unstable ATM) so i don't want to buy the helmet or anything because i dont know what'll happen....it'll only be for the weekend so i'm gonna find places to borrow/rent.

I'm doing the same one, I'll see you there.

Also, i plan on just buying a cheap bucket (around $50) for the course, so i don't have to wear my full face for 8hrs. It's comfortable and all, but if it's hot and were pushing bikes around, i don't think i will enjoy the full coverage
i have to find my ride for the weekend...i hope my dad lets me borrow the car for it...or else i'm screwed lol
where you buying your bucket?

i'll find a cheap leather gloves somewhere. They mentioned that it must cover the wrist bone, but didn't say it has to be gardening glove-type of leather so i might as well get a classy looking leather gloves.

Do you think you're getting away with something here?

Just because the instructors will allow you to wear plain leather gloves that you shouldn't be wearing while riding a bike doesn't mean that you should be wearing those gloves while riding a bike.

If you plan on riding one (and it sounds like you do, otherwise why take the course?) you may as well just get some half-decent riding gloves.

I mean, if you already own some wrist-covering leather gloves, that's one thing - you're not spending money and yeah, unless you get in an accident at the training course you'll probably be fine and can always get the proper gloves between taking the course and getting your own bike. But if you're going to go out and spend money, why not just spend it on the right kind of gloves in the first place?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

When I took the M2, I purchased $7 leather gloves (gauntlet style) from Zellers. They worked great for a weekend of use. Unfortunately I got thrown off my bike once, but the gloves protected my hands. One of my gloves ripped. One time use kind of deal.

I was considering a decent riding gloves (with knuckle shell thingy?) but the price tag was higher than i first expected....and i don't have winter gloves (which was tough experience last winter that passed)...and i found leather gloves sold at around 10 dollars, so i thought "that could work..
currently i am planning to use my RONA gardening gloves....but i might change my mind...i've emptied my last parts of savings on the MSF already, and it's hard for me to find more quick cash to buy anything new....

I was considering a decent riding gloves (with knuckle shell thingy?) but the price tag was higher than i first expected....and i don't have winter gloves (which was tough experience last winter that passed)...and i found leather gloves sold at around 10 dollars, so i thought "that could work..
currently i am planning to use my RONA gardening gloves....but i might change my mind...i've emptied my last parts of savings on the MSF already, and it's hard for me to find more quick cash to buy anything new....

Use the Rona gloves... clearly that dude did not read that you are not getting a bike til prob next year. No need to rush out and spend money you don't have.

kijiji is your friend for cheap bike gear. A lot of people are getting rid of practically brand new stuff.
I bought a 2pc leather Joe Rocket suit for $90 2 years ago.
Check online sites for deals. Gear gets updated every year, you can pick up a 2-3yr old model for 1/4 of the original price. I used newenough.com a lot. Teknic jackets they were selling for $40-50, local stores here were charging $200 and up.

Back
Top Bottom