Helmet camera, mount on top or side? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet camera, mount on top or side?

Corsara

Site Supporter
Hi there,

Just got a Drift HD170 Stealth, they are on sale at B&H photo for about $150 versus $300 in Canada. It comes with a helmet mount, which essentially comes down to sticking a velcro patch on the helmet, and attaching the cam and the mount to it when needed.

That said, I'm trying to decide if I should attach it on the side or on the top of the helmet. Any experiences and recommendations?

Top lets it see further and is at true centre of your vision.

Side gives a better idea of your own perception, despite being off-centre, and doesn't make you look like as much of an idiot.

i just bought the Drift HD and I love it! It's much smaller than your HD170 so it doesn't seem heavy or stick out when I place it on top. I used it on my right side when I go snowboarding. Both perspectives come out great. As Rob said, the side gives a better idea of your perception. I do prefer it on top though so my ugly mug isn't obstructing the the side of the shot, especially if I need proof of an accident.

NOTE: make sure to test the aim ON THE BIKE. I made the mistake of guestimating and positioned it according to the helmet. The shot turned out to be too low. I can post an example when I upload it. Enjoy and link up your vids!

BTW, this is the MegaPack I bought from BC that came with a bunch of accessories! I was stolked when it said it came with the external mic. Pass it on if your friends are interested in getting it.
http://pointofviewcameras.ca/drift-hd-megapack.html

Last edited:
Or if you have the GoPro, mount it front and centre on the helmet's chin bar.

oddly the safety factor was discussed on a couple other forums, you should consider i the event of anything bad happening you dont want anything to hangup and snap your neck and make matters worse, same with a chin mount pushing the camera into the visor may not end well. They've had a few ski accidents and bicycle calamities where the helmet cam played a part in the neck injury.
Pretty limited possibility I know, but I think about this stuff.

Or if you have the GoPro, mount it front and centre on the helmet's chin bar.

If you have pic of how this is mounted please share, thanks.

I use to have the orginal go pro and used a strap to mount it by my chin bar on the helmet. On top of the helmet you look to much like a tele tubbie. LOL
I now own 2 drift stealth cameras the one is on the bike the other mounted to the LEFT side of the helmet. That way if the remote breaks or dies I can use my free clutch hand to
turn the camera on or off.

Like so:
DSCN2598.jpg

DSCN2597.jpg

Also, tilting it back to compensate for the helmet's tilt on your head is critical. Otherwise you get lots of the ground.

Back
Top Bottom