Hello | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello

PacoT

Hi guys,

I've been a long-time lurker but just registered to the forum.

I'm originally from Mexico City, where I used my bike as a commuter for three years. I started on a Yamaha R3, and one year after, I upgraded to a BMW F800R, and it became a highly addictive hobby.

After that, I moved to Toronto. I've been here for three years, the same time that I've not ridden a bike, and every day not riding feels like torture to me. Life as a newcomer has not been easy, and even if I wanted a bike, it would not have been a wise financial decision. More so with the insane insurance prices we have in the province. Fortunately, at the beginning of the following year, I will be able to do the test for my M and hope the insurance prices will go down slightly.

Next year is my 30th birthday, and I will like to give me a bike as a present. So I'm looking for a sports-tourer or adv. S1000XR, F900xr, Tiger Sport 660, Tracer 9 gt.

I want to test ride a motorcycle before purchasing it, but I'm unfamiliar

Welcome, Paco! Considering you come from a place that can make Toronto traffic look mild, I think the insurers should cut you some slack. Not that they cut anyone slack. Test rides can be hard to find these days with stock being slim, but keep an eye out for demo days at the dealerships. I think @bigpoppa had some luck with Apex in Cambridge?

Good luck with your search! It's a fine list you've started with...

Hi guys,

I've been a long-time lurker but just registered to the forum.

I'm originally from Mexico City, where I used my bike as a commuter for three years. I started on a Yamaha R3, and one year after, I upgraded to a BMW F800R, and it became a highly addictive hobby.

After that, I moved to Toronto. I've been here for three years, the same time that I've not ridden a bike, and every day not riding feels like torture to me. Life as a newcomer has not been easy, and even if I wanted a bike, it would not have been a wise financial decision. More so with the insane insurance prices we have in the province. Fortunately, at the beginning of the following year, I will be able to do the test for my M and hope the insurance prices will go down slightly.

Next year is my 30th birthday, and I will like to give me a bike as a present. So I'm looking for a sports-tourer or adv. S1000XR, F900xr, Tiger Sport 660, Tracer 9 gt.

I want to test ride a motorcycle before purchasing it, but I'm unfamiliar
welcome

I guess you go from riding 12 months a year to 6?

For test rides, call around, tell them your interested in purchasing but want to narrow down your choices.
Apex is good for demo rides, they have a fleet on test bikes on hand, but they dont have any beemers.

Try calling the bmw dealers, I hear they're good about test rides

. S1000XR, F900xr, Tiger Sport 660, Tracer 9 gt.
I would forget about a litre bike for now - for the Ontario insurance companies you will be a brand new rider with zero experience. Even a 900cc will be not cheap to insure for a person below 35. Sorry! And welcome!

welcome

I guess you go from riding 12 months a year to 6?

For test rides, call around, tell them your interested in purchasing but want to narrow down your choices.
Apex is good for demo rides, they have a fleet on test bikes on hand, but they dont have any beemers.

Try calling the bmw dealers, I hear they're good about test rides
That's right go from riding all year round to only six months. Which is a bummer.

Thanks for your suggestions I'll see what Apex has in inventory. I contacted BMW downtown and they told me no test rides. I will try with the other ones around.

I would forget about a litre bike for now - for the Ontario insurance companies you will be a brand new rider with zero experience. Even a 900cc will be not cheap to insure for a person below 35. Sorry! And welcome!
Thanks for the tip.

I second this.

I didn't get a motorcycle until after 30 also, had 10+ years of driving experience (a couple or speeding tickets on my record) and I started on a 400cc standard/naked bike. Even then the insurance wasn't/isn't cheap. Especially in the first year. Hope for the best, but expect the worst. Probably wouldn't be the worst idea to start to start on a smaller bike for now.

Good luck

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are in my situation. I also moved here 4 years back...have many years of street riding experience. But, insurance didn't care. I called up insurance companies and got quotes for all bikes that I shortlisted, and chose the one that I could afford. The only thing that helped was my age...

All the best!

Welcome. Suggest you talk to like right away to Chris and ask him the best approach to your riding insurance.

Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net
P
: 416-546-8969
I'd actually suggest grabbing a small bike this year that can be easily flipped ...something like this

With safety that's a decent deal and you'll love the cheap fill ups. It will handle 4 lane highways easy enough.
149c4dbb-b837-4660-8aaa-fc5a6e21039f

and get the vital first year under your belt. Lot easier than waiting and more fun. i think you might get a break this year after July but call him now.

Easy bike to sell when you want to ( and can afford to ) move up.

Welcome. Suggest you talk to like right away to Chris and ask him the best approach to your riding insurance.

Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net
P
: 416-546-8969
I'd actually suggest grabbing a small bike this year that can be easily flipped ...something like this

With safety that's a decent deal and you'll love the cheap fill ups. It will handle 4 lane highways easy enough.
149c4dbb-b837-4660-8aaa-fc5a6e21039f

and get the vital first year under your belt. Lot easier than waiting and more fun. i think you might get a break this year after July but call him now.

Easy bike to sell when you want to ( and can afford to ) move up.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will have a look

Welcome to the family.

You have a higher chance in winning the lottery next year than getting a good deal on insurance in this province.

Back
Top Bottom