Hello | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello

Tulio311

Hello Everyone.

New to the forum and relatively new to the country.👋

I got my M1 in late September 2021 and I'm looking to give my M Road test. I have international experience and that was added to my record which makes me eligible to go directly for the M road test. Herein lies the problem:

I've registered with Rider Training Institute for the M road test, however, I need to bring my own motorcycle for the road test. The problem is that the test is on a Sunday and the places that I inquired with about renting a motorcycle, require that I rent it for 3 days as it's a weekend. The cost of renting a bike for 3 days is, as you know, quite a lot. Is there any place I can rent a bike for just one day on the weekend, or can anybody rent me their motorcycle for the day of the test? I can't reschedule during a weekday due to work commitments and test date availability, otherwise, that would have been a no-brainer for me.

My initial plan was to give the test on a motorcycle that I had bought earlier, however, as I found out, I can't get it registered as I can't get insured on an M1 license.🤦‍♂️

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Finding someone to rent you a bike for one day for your road test is not going to work for a few reasons, insurance being one of the biggest...if something should happen with you riding it, the lender would be on the hook for any damages and casualties (this is why most sellers don't allow a test ride)...also, you won't be familiar with the bike, and not comfortable on it as you would a bike that you have experience on.

As for you not being able to get insurance, you should be able to even with an M1, especially if you've been given years of experience from where you lived previously. Have you called around for quotes? Have you called brokers, who have access to a variety of companies to quote from?

How much is the three day rental? One idea might be to take the M1 exit course (which would give you the M2) and then get insurance on your bike. Depending on the cost of a three day rental, the M1 exit course might be cheaper. The course will also give you an opportunity to brush up on your skills, which I'm guessing haven't been used since last fall seeing as you aren't insured. This idea also depends on when your Rider Training course is booked for and how soon you could get into an M1 exit course. Perhaps you could reschedule your current course to a later date.

Maybe try calling RTI and see if they have a suggestion. I don't see anyone renting out their bike to a stranger for one day.

Good luck.

Loaning your bike is usually ok with the insurance co though. Not sure if there would be a M/M1/M2 requirement.

@timtune when we called TD about test rides on hubby's bike because he had it for sale, we were told we'd be on the hook, and that is assuming the buyer even had their own insurance...if they said no to that, why would they be okay with this scenario, especially since the rider doesn't have their own insurance?

Same way you can loan someone your car with no problem. Perhaps mentioning test rides sets off flags. I've asked before and been told it's ok if they're 25 or something.

Finding someone to rent you a bike for one day for your road test is not going to work for a few reasons, insurance being one of the biggest...if something should happen with you riding it, the lender would be on the hook for any damages and casualties (this is why most sellers don't allow a test ride)...also, you won't be familiar with the bike, and not comfortable on it as you would a bike that you have experience on.

As for you not being able to get insurance, you should be able to even with an M1, especially if you've been given years of experience from where you lived previously. Have you called around for quotes? Have you called brokers, who have access to a variety of companies to quote from?

How much is the three day rental? One idea might be to take the M1 exit course (which would give you the M2) and then get insurance on your bike. Depending on the cost of a three day rental, the M1 exit course might be cheaper. The course will also give you an opportunity to brush up on your skills, which I'm guessing haven't been used since last fall seeing as you aren't insured. This idea also depends on when your Rider Training course is booked for and how soon you could get into an M1 exit course. Perhaps you could reschedule your current course to a later date.

Maybe try calling RTI and see if they have a suggestion. I don't see anyone renting out their bike to a stranger for one day.

Good luck.
Yeah I can understand why people would be hesitant about loaning their bike. Just thought I'd ask if anyone would be willing to...

I have tried calling around a couple of places and was quoted around 400$/month for just the M and they wouldn't insure for M1. As for the experience, they said they would only consider U.S or Canadian experience. If you know of any brokers who might be able to insure M1 riders for a lower cost, please do share their details.

As for what you're suggesting:

3 day rental - 650$
M2 course @RTi - 500$ dates available in May

My M road course/test is on the 10th of April

Giving the test on my bike is my first preference, but that doesn't seem likely unless I can get insurance for my own bike on an M1 license.

@timtune when we called TD about test rides on hubby's bike because he had it for sale, we were told we'd be on the hook, and that is assuming the buyer even had their own insurance...if they said no to that, why would they be okay with this scenario, especially since the rider doesn't have their own insurance?
Insurance lets you loan your vehicle but you are also loaning your insurance. I wouldnt trust most people in that scenario (but there are a few that can have keys whenever they want them). A test ride or some random person on the internet are not getting my keys.

Same way you can loan someone your car with no problem. Perhaps mentioning test rides sets off flags. I've asked before and been told it's ok if they're 25 or something.
Easy rule of thumb.

Insurance always follows the vehicle, not the driver/rider.

Yeah I can understand why people would be hesitant about loaning their bike. Just thought I'd ask if anyone would be willing to...

I have tried calling around a couple of places and was quoted around 400$/month for just the M and they wouldn't insure for M1. As for the experience, they said they would only consider U.S or Canadian experience. If you know of any brokers who might be able to insure M1 riders for a lower cost, please do share their details.

As for what you're suggesting:

3 day rental - 650$
M2 course @RTi - 500$ dates available in May

My M road course/test is on the 10th of April

Giving the test on my bike is my first preference, but that doesn't seem likely unless I can get insurance for my own bike on an M1 license.
If the ministry will not upgrade your license to M2 you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Your only options are;

• Pay for a weekend M2 exit course to upgrade your license to M2, then you can get insurance
  • Rent a bike
  • Find someone to loan it to you
  • Buy your own bike and insure it. Check with facility insurance. By law in Ontario you cannot be refused insurance, so i'm curious to know what angle the companies are using to deny you. Typically they just quote a $400-500/month "go away" price.

I understand your predicament and hope you find a solution.
If you were a well known member here maybe, and it’s a big maybe, you might find someone who would lend you a bike. However, you’re essentially an unknown anonymous person asking to borrow a bike. Take a moment and put yourself in our shoes. Would you hand over the keys to your prized bike to a stranger?
I think the rental, although expensive, is your best route.
Good luck with your test!

I'd call an insurance broker familiar with motorcycles, they might help you out if the get your insurance.

Try calling Service Ontario or going to one of their locations...if they're giving you credit for years of experience elsewhere, they they should upgrade your M1 to an M2 no? Calling @Evoex (seeing as you're an instructor, you might know this answer)

If you can get SO to do that, then you can get insurance, register the bike, practice on it and do your course April 10 on your own bike.

Failing that, I would book the M1exit course through RTI (explain your situation with them, they might give you a break on the cost) to get your M2, get insurance, register bike, practice and rebook your M test for later on.

Once again, good luck.

Does RTI have an M2 exit course where they supply the bike? Ask them if they can give you a discount if you skip the classes and only need the test. Since you're eligible to take the M test directly, I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to. Worst case you may have to pay full price and sit through the full course.

Try calling Service Ontario or going to one of their locations...if they're giving you credit for years of experience elsewhere, they they should upgrade your M1 to an M2 no? Calling @Evoex (seeing as you're an instructor, you might know this answer)

If you can get SO to do that, then you can get insurance, register the bike, practice on it and do your course April 10 on your own bike.

Failing that, I would book the M1exit course through RTI (explain your situation with them, they might give you a break on the cost) to get your M2, get insurance, register bike, practice and rebook your M test for later on.

Once again, good luck.
I suspect they would remove the waiting period between licensing but require him to pass the road test to upgrade to m2. Just like they won’t hand you a full G or M for experience outside Canada.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and well wishes. I'll probably go down the M2/M1 exit route as I can at least get my bike insured after that.
You’ll also get a discount on your insurance for about 3 years for completing the m1 exit course.

Just saw this thread and guessing OP has already found a solution...

I was in this exact same situation a few years back, had motorcycle licenses from multiple countries and DL extracts, and I have ridden motorcycles for a while. Finding a bike to get your M might be tricky. For that reason, I took the M1 exit with a safety course and I can tell you that every insurance company I have called to ask for a quote specifically asked me if I took a safety course. I'm guessing it makes a significant reduction in insurance if you have a safety course and you will recoup the money within a year or two.

I'd recommend the M1 safety course. It might seem like an unnecessary expense to someone who has experience riding a bike, but it's still fun and a good opportunity to brush up on your basics. Also, you'll meet some fellow riders too while you're at it. All the best :)

Back
Top Bottom