Hello! Intro + Some Questions | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello! Intro + Some Questions

Sometimes I really wonder if dirt bike experience should not be a prerequisite :|

I would say it depends on the person. M1 Exit will provide a pretty good idea about shifting and other basic techniques. I had 0 experience before my M1X and it gave me good enough base to start riding.. at the same time, I know a few stories where riders with dirt bike experience got into trouble just because they thought that they know how to ride and were not able to adjust their skills to streets.. I'm sure @MaksTO will have much more confidence and better skills after his M1X.

Plus, it is already not so easy and pretty expensive to start riding.. so, let's keep it simple..

Update: I just got home safe from the first ride. Did some rounds in residential areas along my way home. Managed to not stall it until the most embarrassing thing happened:

Basically I abruptly stopped at a yellow/red because I saw a car going the opposite direction itching to turn left and I did not feel safe speeding past it while the light was yellow. Car behind me pulls up right next to me after I stopped, either they were ****** I stopped and wanted to cut ahead at green or they almost reared me. At green I kept stalling (four times to be exact) until i realized i was in f'n third. Welp. Was too focused on my surroundings and forgot to downshift at the light. Other than that the ride was more or less uneventful. Downshifts are still no bueno, ups can be jerky at times. Combo of inexperience + anxiety I assume. Thinking about keeping her parked until my M1 Exit I think to not risk further embarrassment and endangering myself.

As I was cornering sharper bends I just kept hearing twist of the wrist volume 2 in my head, telling me to be smooth with my throttle application LOL.

Also quick question: Is it just me or is first gear on street bikes way too short to shift into while in motion approaching a stop light. I found the best way on this ride was to get into second, and apply brakes, pulling in the clutch once I hit about 5-8kmh, and then dropping to first while stopped. Downshifting into first while moving, even at what seems to be a slow pace results in super high revs and a concerning amount of engine braking. I'm talking at like 10kmh or less.

Glad you made it home safe.

To make sure you are always in first gear at a stop, the course instructors will help you build the habit to pull in the clutch and “tap tap tap” on the gearshift lever and then put your left foot down when stopped (right foot stays on the peg with rear brake applied).

Definitely a wise decision to keep the bike parked for a few more days until you complete the course.

You will learn so much and ride with more confidence after the weekend.

Have fun !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I really wonder if dirt bike experience should not be a prerequisite :|
I actually owned a dirt bike for a summer a few years back. TTR125. Thing is, on that bike riding off road at 16 years old I just kinda went by feel since my only danger was really hitting a tree, which I never did. Dirt bike experience was the only reason I decided to ride this thing home. Unlike dirt bikes however, I was faced with not only driving mechanics (which are far different on road than on gravel from my experience), but also having to maintain constant awareness of my surroundings, because if I slam the front on my TTR I fall in some soft dirt. Do that on my CBR and I die.

This compounding of sensory information led me to focus on a) awareness FIRST, because that will save my life, and then b) driving mechanics, which is less of a concern until that third gear bs happened, in which case I decided to then focus on that because it then became a hazard to my safety.

Far less hazards on closed course / dirt. Once I was up to speed it was relatively easy going on the cbr... When things became stop and go (about 80% of my commute home), I have to start being extremely aware of my gearing, engine braking, clutch use, on top of everything else. Like I've read on forums over and over again: going fast in a straight line is easy, slow speed is what seems to take the most technical finesse, at least at the beginning.

Dirt bike experience got me home, taught me to ride the clutch and not stall most of the time (which I was still not used to on this new bike for me), and how to counter steer etc. My M1 exit will teach me the proper riding technique for road riding while simultaneously maintaining road awareness.

Glad you made it home safe.

To make sure you are always in first gear at a stop, the course instructors will help you build the habit to pull in the clutch and “tap tap tap” on the gearshift lever and then put your left foot down when stopped (right foot stays on the peg with rear brake applied).

Definitely a wise decision to keep the bike parked for a few more days until you complete the course.

You will learn so much and ride with more confidence after the weekend.

Have fun !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know with manual cars its common practice to stop in second and then shift into first while at a stand still. Though reading over this forum and others last night seems to demonstrate that this is not really the case on bikes.

That being said, CBR125 forum seems to corroborate the pitifully short first gear on the bike, implying that I was doing the right thing by only going down to second before stopping, and then clicking into first. Thing is when I get to a stop, first thing I did would be to check mirrors and look behind to make sure I wasn't about to get nicked, and then I'd go into first. Just have to get in the habit of clicking it down all the way.

Some also say it's a bad habit to do the downshift "Dance" at a stop, taking away precious time for emergency maneuvers.

Edit: Thanks for the left foot down, right foot on brake comment. I actually watched a motovlog from someone a few days ago who explained that as well, so I made sure to be conscious of that yesterday on the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Bike is put away until the exit course is done this weekend.

This ride home was super challenging because I was constantly being pressured by traffic to move my ass before I was comfortable to do so as well.

My bike was parked on Dundas, I was sitting on it, slowly and deliberately getting familiar with the controls, when a huge SUV suddenly pulls up and indicates he wants to park in my spot. Now I had to rush my butt out of there before I caused a giant jam on the main street while I was getting my S*** together. Luckily a driver was patient enough to let me through and I could sit in grid lock for 45 seconds finishing my go over of the bike.

Obviously I have a very limited amount of experience. The dirt bike stuff made at least some of the basics sort of muscle memory, but imo besides knowing how to get off the line and upshift I wouldn't use my other dirt biking habits on the road. As others have stated, dirt bikes are forgiving (to a fault even?). I remember accidentally dropping from 5th to third going full tick on the trail, back totally locked up, and I was still pretty much in full control of the bike, just had a little jolt. If anything though, learning how the front lets go on a dirt bike is a good experience to have, much safer to simulate on dirt than on pavement.

When combined with the anxiety of first time on the road, a wet one at that, and the constant looking about for street signs and other vehicles, its pretty easy for all of that (albeit little) knowledge to fly out of the window as fight or flight kicks in and you just have to make a move at that immediate moment to keep the flow of traffic. From my experience stalling at that light over and over again, moving is ALWAYS safer than being stopped on a busy street. The entire ride felt quite safe from my end, except for that one moment, where I was all hands on deck on damage control.

Kept a solid four or five car lengths in front of me at all times, knowing full well that I want time at every red light to mentally go over every downshift and clutch pull to get it right eventually.

I think it helps with learning the basics, particularly if one learns on a small displacement (13-20hp) bike. Dirtbikes are light, responsive, and the course/terrain teaches you to ride attentively every minute (no dull rolls down endless straight patches of asphalt).

The down side is many dirtbike riders develop some skills and habits that take time to translate to the street. Things I see that are different: foot placement in turns, use of WOT, locking up the back with engine braking, non stop need to wheelie... to name a few.

If you're ever going to do that again, you might want to practice hill starts before you go.

If you're ever going to do that again, you might want to practice hill starts before you go.
Studied up on hill starts a bit before. Had to do it once on my ride home (small hill) as I noticed the bike rolled back without rear brake. It was fine, but I’d like to hit a steeper hill if I find one that’s not busy

Just had day 1 of the RTI course.
They had z125’s there... @Evoex I totally get the whole grom thing now. It was so much fun wow.

Day 1's done already ? I seem to remember it lasting past 4pm.
Started at 7:30 but yeah it wrapped a bit early I was surprised too. I’m tired as hell and my head hurts from breathing 19 bikes gas fumes though (and an un-broken-in helmet), so I’ll take it haha.

Started at 7:30 but yeah it wrapped a bit early I was surprised too. I’m tired as hell and my head hurts from breathing 19 bikes gas fumes though (and an un-broken-in helmet), so I’ll take it haha.
I forgot what time it started for me. But yeah it gets super tiring. Lots of fun nevertheless. Good luck on the test

get some rest, you're gonna feel it tomorrow.

Done! Passed with flying colours. Now I can start the real world learning. And waiting another 31 days until I can go pick up my M2 haha.

RTI was fantastic, would totally recommend to all new riders who happen to read this. Super gradual learning, but you get to the fun stuff fast regardless!

Now I want a Z125 damn.

Back
Top Bottom