Hello from Scarboro | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello from Scarboro

Homme007

hi folks..

Been thinking about a M for a few years.. and finally took the plunge.. did my M1 back in April, just passed my M2 with Learning Curves in May.. and will get it converted in June. Propped some money down on a new bike (probably not a wise thing to do...) and now every time a biker drives by.. I stare at him/her thinking that will be me someday...

BTW.... I am actually also scared $hitless going on the real road, with real drivers and real traffic. Doing M2 with Learning Curves is great... and it definitely taught me to ride.. but I feel when it comes to taking a bike on the road.. I have no experience.... how do you guys, as first riders conquer that fear and cope?

Worst.... in getting the new bike I have to pick up from the dealer.. and the ride back from dealer to my house is my greatest fear~~~.. HELP!!

Welcome to the forum. You got to start somewhere. Don't worry about it too much, just pick non-peak traffic hours to pick up the bike and stay off the highways. You'll be fine. If you're too nervous about it or if the distance is too far, then ask someone who has the experience to help you out.

All the best. Curious, what bike is it?

Hey. I was there about 2 years ago, having all the proper gears helps with riding and of course for safety. Roads were busy when I went to go get my bike, at that point you want to make sure that the drivers can see you. Take your time, the bike training helps a lot and you know more than you think. if someone is going with you, have them follow you, this is what I did and I think it helped. After that just ride in low traffic, practice on local road, take your time and build you confidence and you will be fine.

hi folks..

Been thinking about a M for a few years.. and finally took the plunge.. did my M1 back in April, just passed my M2 with Learning Curves in May.. and will get it converted in June. Propped some money down on a new bike (probably not a wise thing to do...) and now every time a biker drives by.. I stare at him/her thinking that will be me someday...

BTW.... I am actually also scared $hitless going on the real road, with real drivers and real traffic. Doing M2 with Learning Curves is great... and it definitely taught me to ride.. but I feel when it comes to taking a bike on the road.. I have no experience.... how do you guys, as first riders conquer that fear and cope?

Worst.... in getting the new bike I have to pick up from the dealer.. and the ride back from dealer to my house is my greatest fear~~~.. HELP!!
welcome, wear gear, slow down at intersections, you'll be good

Welcome to the forum. You got to start somewhere. Don't worry about it too much, just pick non-peak traffic hours to pick up the bike and stay off the highways. You'll be fine. If you're too nervous about it or if the distance is too far, then ask someone who has the experience to help you out.

All the best. Curious, what bike is it?
At the risk of getting flamed... :) KTM RC390... on a boat right now.. can't wait...

Welcome!

I think we've all been there at one point. I had to ride by bike from downtown back to Scarborough 3-4 months after doing my M2 course with no riding in between. Did a few laps around the condo parking garage (where I picked it up from) and off I went. I definitely stalled it a few times, but you get the hang of it and just be extra cautious 👌

I'm still in Scarborough, so feel free to PM me.. maybe if you're out of options with driving the bike back (if you decide not to do it yourself), OR once you have the bike and want to putter around some side streets/parking lots while you get comfortable 👊

At the risk of getting flamed... :) KTM RC390... on a boat right now.. can't wait...
It's a sweet bike, good choice. I had a lot of fun on it back in the day. I'm sure you will too. All the best!

Edit: If you run out of options and decide you're not gonna ride it - I also stay around the area. Putting it out there just in case @Chameleon can't make it ;)

Last edited:
Heeeyyy I'm in Scarborough too!

Welcome. When I bought my bike I had them trailer it home for me as part of the purchase. Then I would just ride around the neighbourhood practising and getting use to the bike. I took my time didn't rush things and just eased into real traffic once I got use to things.

Good luck!

Welcome! I'm a Scarborough guy, too.

My first real ride was picking up my 1st bike, too; from the seller downtown. I just bite the bullet and did it, took it easy and gave myself plenty of space and distance to stop/turn, and followed a pre-planned route home.

Like the other guys mentioned, if you are riding the bike home, and want someone to ride tail gunner with you, I'm usually available to duck out for a quick ride anytime since I work from home. PM me if anything.

Do you drive? Might be unpopular opinion but I think if you are riding in the city, getting experience driving first to get an understanding of how people act and move first in a car is safer.

If not possible, then treat everyone like they are blind or trying to hit you. Don't ride like a granny but be alert and ready. Avoid rush hour and high traffic areas.

Do you drive? Might be unpopular opinion but I think if you are riding in the city, getting experience driving first to get an understanding of how people act and move first in a car is safer.

If not possible, then treat everyone like they are blind or trying to hit you. Don't ride like a granny but be alert and ready. Avoid rush hour and high traffic areas.
Yes sir. Been a driver for 20+ years. I m scared of the open air and just that drivers are always distracted.

Yes sir. Been a driver for 20+ years. I m scared of the open air and just that drivers are always distracted.
Most drivers are careful around motorcyclists (if they notice). A few of them try to bully or show off. As long as you don't engage with the bullies, you'll be fine. Get familiar with the controls: turn signals, clutch biting point, gear shift pattern etc. Ride it in the dealership parking lot for 10 mins to figure out the controls. Mentally prepare yourself for when you stall the bike and how you're going to react. It's one of the most stressful situations for new riders - when the light turns green and you stall the bike. Since you have been driving for 20+ years I don't foresee any other challenges.

I had my motorcycle license before I had my car license, and I'll never forget the first time as a teenager I wobbled out on my Hawk GT into traffic, absolutely shi**ing bricks. The fear subsides quickly, though, and once you get that first ride under your belt, it gets rapidly easier. For me, I started with riding on quieter roads during off hours, just to take the pressure off. Then it was just a matter of ramping it up as the confidence came. Within a week I was riding like the most annoying squid you can imagine...

The fear of the unknown is inevitably worse than reality, so the only way is through it. Just pay attention to your own state of mind, and if you start to feel panicked, pull off until you calm down. You'll be fine.

I had my motorcycle license before I had my car license, and I'll never forget the first time as a teenager I wobbled out on my Hawk GT into traffic, absolutely shi**ing bricks. The fear subsides quickly, though, and once you get that first ride under your belt, it gets rapidly easier. For me, I started with riding on quieter roads during off hours, just to take the pressure off. Then it was just a matter of ramping it up as the confidence came. Within a week I was riding like the most annoying squid you can imagine...

The fear of the unknown is inevitably worse than reality, so the only way is through it. Just pay attention to your own state of mind, and if you start to feel panicked, pull off until you calm down. You'll be fine.

Mostly agree here.

Use your head, stay calm and stay aware most importantly.

Ride within your limits.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom