Hello from a soon to be 2 wheel commuter! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello from a soon to be 2 wheel commuter!

DDean

Site Supporter
Hi all - Im new here!

I work downtown Toronto and live less than 10km east. I currently drive to work but am looking to put an end to the crazy cost of parking downtown - and since scooters/motorcycles park for free, getting one seems like a no brainer to me!

I wrote my M1 awhile ago and plan to take my exit course later this month. Im going to learn in the cold weather!

My process started off thinking about an ebike - which I just cant do and retain any feeling of self worth!'

So then I moved to a scooter and I do like the Honda Ruckus', but they sure do cost a mint for what they are. Even used.

For less than what I can buy a used Ruckus for, I think that a CBR125R makes a lot of sense for my use - I think that my time on the 401 would be very limited with it and that I would rarely be on the DVP. Most of its use will be Lakeshore and small stretches of the Gardiner, and of course city streets.

Seems like it would be a good choice for me although I know a Ninja/CBR 250R would be more versatile. If I can justify the increased price, and I dont think that I will be able to for my use, Ill get a DR-Z400SM.

QUESTION: How should I get a cheap bike like a CBR250R checked out if I want to buy it? I know that people are going to be reluctant about letting me try it, but whenever I have bought used cars (and Ive bought some great ones!) I always get a PPI done. Not sure what the process is for a cheap $1500 motorcycle like a CBR125

TIA!

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

Welcome! I'm my opinion, try to aim for the 250R as you'd be able to ride on more roads than with a 125. You will get the itch to do so, trust me :D

There's a guy that rents those bikes on kijiji, it's worth your while to ride the one you want and feel how it handles, prior to your purchase.

Other than that, enjoy the last few 'rideable' weeks of the season and ride safe!

I started commuting a month ago on a Ninja 250, I even cancelled my car insurance. On a 250, you do feel faster than some cars that are on the road, some old corolla, civics, etc. So you will definitely have some self worth there, as I felt so as well. It takes a couple of weeks to get used to the different of comfort between bike and car. For the first two weeks, i was very tired and my muscles were sore afterwards, but don't let this put you down. You will improve on the 3rd and 4th week like I did. I can now happily ride 60km without feeling too tired, the aftermarket cruise control helps a lot on the highway.

I see you have your mind sold on manual bikes, if you want the most comfortable bikes, get those large scooters, 250cc above, they are automatic and I've seen many guys riding around that in downtown and elsewhere. It's smart to buy a scooter. I on the other hand want to keep the cool looking factor that's why I went with the 250R, as it is the best looking bike (250cc class).

Welcome! I'm my opinion, try to aim for the 250R as you'd be able to ride on more roads than with a 125. You will get the itch to do so, trust me :D

There's a guy that rents those bikes on kijiji, it's worth your while to ride the one you want and feel how it handles, prior to your purchase.

Other than that, enjoy the last few 'rideable' weeks of the season and ride safe!

Thanks! I know that the 250 is more versatile and can go on more roads. Right now the motorcycle is strictly to get to me and from work without paying $400 a month for parking. If I find that I ride it beyond that, then once Im confident on the bike Ill upgrade (to whatever).

I started commuting a month ago on a Ninja 250, I even cancelled my car insurance. On a 250, you do feel faster than some cars that are on the road, some old corolla, civics, etc. So you will definitely have some self worth there, as I felt so as well.

I see you have your mind sold on manual bikes, if you want the most comfortable bikes, get those large scooters, 250cc above, they are automatic and I've seen many guys riding around that in downtown and elsewhere. It's smart to buy a scooter. I on the other hand want to keep the cool looking factor that's why I went with the 250R, as it is the best looking bike (250cc class).

Thanks for the reply! I 100% agree that what Im really looking for is a scooter - I just dont want to do it. I see a CBR 125 as a good scooter alternative at a scooter price with low scooter insurance. The Ninja 250 is what I would like to start with, but it will probably cost $1500 more to get into and IIRC, insurance for me would be $800/yr vs the $400/yr for the CBR 125. I really dont think that Im going to use this bike much - probably just 6 or 7 km to work and back. If I use it more, a Ninja 250 would be an awesome choice!

Question - How much of a discount do you get by buying a bike at this time of the year? I ask because I expect to be driving my car to work through the winter (although most of it I could probably ride). Is it very beneficial for me to get a bike NOW versus spring? On a $2k bike, what would you expect to save by buying now? A few hundred?

You only have a 7 km commute, but you don't want to use TTC to save $300 / mth ?

Irregular hours ?

That would give you a "free" $3K bike or other toy after a year.

Here's another perspective on commuting with a bike :
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...mmuting-on-their-motorcycle&highlight=commute

I've yet to buy a bike, but if and when I get one it will probably be for "fun" riding most of the time. (Evenings, weekends, low traffic roads etc.)

A read through the "fallen riders" section is quite sobering.

Riding a bike through Toronto intersections seems like venturing through a warzone or mine field :\

Last edited:
For city-only commuting on the cheap consider a Sym Classic 150. It's a clone of an early 70s Honda from one of the original licensed oems for Honda.

e5epe8az.jpg
ma6utage.jpg
ysuqarum.jpg

But let's be real. Take the TTC.

My car is almost 14 years old and I don't want to spend any more money on it even though it probably can be repaired and used another winter. This leaves me with commuting on my bike to the train station or borrowing the partner's car which I don't like doing.

It sucks not having money.

Hey DDean. Welcome to motorcycling.

To answer your questions-buying a used motorcycle requires the same process as a used car. Paying a visit to check the bike in person and meeting the owner will tell a lot about the bike and what it's been through.
- Check the condition overall. Any leaks, rust, or damage. Check chain
- before your visit ask the owner to not start the bike at least few hours before the visit. Reason being you want to ensure it can start cold.
- Ask for service receipts. Determine what and when was the last service. If the owner took it to one dealer for service call that dealer and ask generally how well the bike was maintained.
-yes you can do a PPI like you do with a car. You just need to find the right mechanic/or someone qualified. For a 250cc I would just take it to a shop to get it checked.
-last but not least as the owner for UVIP package with a carproof report. Ensure it has no liens against it.

Hope this helps. My first bike was used and was fortunate to find a good bike and owner. Best of luck.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the best time to buy used bike is now to beginning of Winter. This is when most people finished riding their bikes in the summer and wanting to get rid of them. They will also offer the best discount as they will get less potential buyers during the Winter. During the winter months (12-2), most people would choose to store their bikes and sell during the spring, they know they can get more money if they wait. So Sep-Nov would be the most ideal time frame to get the most discount. For a CBR125, $1500 is what I will pay.

The 10' ninja in green colour I paid was $3000, perfect condition, no drops.

07-09

found a few:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...2007-Honda-CBR-125-CC-1600-W0QQAdIdZ532900433
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2007-Honda-CBR-W0QQAdIdZ518801468

Since you are only riding short distances, I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, as long as it's reasonable. But of course the fewer mileage you find the better!!

Don't stick with the asking price, best offer them $1500. You could offer them lower, then work your way up, but usually they just ignore low ballers, so best bet is to offer a reasonable offer to see if they will accept it!

I actually have negotiated a deal before for 2008 CBR 125 for $1600 believe it or not (that was 2 years ago!!!), but I end up buying a Ninja.

So $1500 is easily do-able.

Good luck!

Hey DDean. Welcome to motorcycling.

To answer your questions-buying a used motorcycle requires the same process as a used car. Paying a visit to check the bike in person and meeting the owner will tell a lot about the bike and what it's been through.
- Check the condition overall. Any leaks, rust, or damage. Check chain
- before your visit ask the owner to not start the bike at least few hours before the visit. Reason being you want to ensure it can start cold.
- Ask for service receipts. Determine what and when was the last service. If the owner took it to one dealer for service call that dealer and ask generally how well the bike was maintained.
-yes you can do a PPI like you do with a car. You just need to find the right mechanic/or someone qualified. For a 250cc I would just take it to a shop to get it checked.
-last but not least as the owner for UVIP package with a carproof report. Ensure it has no liens against it.

My first bike was used and was fortunate to find a good bike and owner.

Thanks so much Rednblax - that is very helpful. I was also able to find a "checklist" on the net that had some/many of those suggestions. But in the end, I think that that Ive had the most success buying cars in the past when Ive bought them from good owners, so your last comment resonates.

Yes, the best time to buy used bike is now to beginning of Winter.
The 10' ninja in green colour I paid was $3000, perfect condition, no drops.

Sweet deal on your Ninja! Ive been lusting over green Ninjas since the 80s!

07-09
Don't stick with the asking price, best offer them $1500. You could offer them lower, then work your way up, but usually they just ignore low ballers, so best bet is to offer a reasonable offer to see if they will accept it!

So $1500 is easily do-able.

Yeah, $1500 is the price I had in mind too but I have come across a few at $1k or just higher. I suspect that they're all a bit of a mess and I would rather spend a bit more and get a good bike that I will be happy with or I will be able to sell easier in a year or two if 2 wheel commuting is for me and I want a more versatile bike. As I see it, these starter bikes are super promiscuous! They're going to be riden by a new rider every year or two!

But I will say that it sure is tough resisting the draw of a CBR F4i. Its the wrong tool for what I want and Im not ready anyways, but man, I lust for one of those!

Thanks so much for all of the replies.

Last edited:
I find that if you're meeting up with someone to buy a used bike on Kijiji, most will let you test-drive if you give them collateral in case you drop it (usually the whole value of the bike lol). I'd honestly try to find a good deal on a 250 if I were you because their re-sale value is awesome. You will have no trouble selling it for very close to what you paid. Just be sure to give any used bike a once-over for signs of damage or excessive wear (check pads, chain, etc). I remember when I bought my first bike I was so excited that I missed a bunch of important flaws.

Thanks for the reply Luke - I agree that a 250 is better and more usable than the 125 - I prefer a 250 as well. But for my use a scooter is really the best tool and I see a CBR125 as a good scooter replacement (in price, insurance and capabilities). A 250 something different. My only hang up is that Im watching many CBR125s sit on Kijiji for a very long time. It seems that Im the only buyer in all of Toronto! I think it will be easier to sell the 250 later, as you say.

IF I get the 125 and I find that I need more (or that I want more), Im likely getting a 600 or a supermoto. I think that the change would happen with the 250 also - so as I see it the 125 allows me to learn on a bike with cheap insurance for a year. IF I keep it, good for me, I made the smart choice upfront. If I want to move up, Ive saved dough in the meantime because Id probably be moving up from the 250 too. Im not sure how it will unfold.

Thrills and adrenaline and performance are not in this equation for me. I wouldnt ride a 600 any faster than Id ride a 250 or a 125. Its just a matter of what bike will 1) allow me to learn bike skills on easily and 2) go where I want safely. Ive gotten all my speed demons satisfied over the past couple decades tracking, and instructing in, high end sports cars (I have a 750hp Porsche 911 Turbo right now ;) ). Been there, done that, Im looking for a fun commuting tool not anything to ride a million miles an hour.

Plus, it took a while to convince my wife that the CBR125 was safer for me than a 50cc scooter. If I up the ante to the 250 right away I may have trouble getting that 600 in the garage!

Im going to get guidance from my instructors at my MSF in a couple weeks and buy something after that. Curious what theyll say about an F4i as a starting bike but Im obviously happy to stick with a CBR125 if they recommend that route. I cant lose!

a few things to consider:
- I ride late into the winter, basically until the ground is covered in snow, however I have a heated jacket, heated gloves and have probably spent more money in warm gear than you will spend on that bike. So remember that riding in the cold is tough unless you are properly layered, consider this on your budget.
I also work downtown and parking is probably the #1 reason why I ride so late in the winter.
- Drivers during the late fall and winter are not looking for motorcycles, they are not aware you are around and don't expect a motorcycle to be so for a new rider it is dangerous, however just ensure that you are riding with this in mind and you should be fine.
- A CBR 125 should be fine for commuting, cheap in gas etc, but be aware that once you start riding, you are going to want to have something bigger so if you can crunch the numbers, go for a 250, because it will en up costing you more to buy a 125, sell it an then buy a 250 (if your budget allows which it seems it doesn't)

Great suggestions ZX600 - thank you for taking the time to reply with those.

Im thinking about an Aerostich Roadcrafter - it should allow me to commute most months of the year in a business suit. Maybe some heated gloves...Im unsure...If two wheel commuting is for me (I hope it is but as much as I *think* I know what is involved, I wont know until I do it day after day in whatever weather shows up, within reason) Ill adjust my investments in it as it happens.

250 is still a strong consideration. Im mostly trying to stop the slippery slope because the draw of a 600 will be tough to avoid once Im serious about a 250. I can see it happening already and if Im 250 shopping the only thing that will keep me from buying an F4i is the instructors clearly telling me it would be a bad idea to start with. Once I accept the cost of a 250, its a slippery slope to a 600. The cost of buying and selling a 125 will probably be made up with the insurance money saved. So itll be a wash probably.

No offense to the instructors but that is just their opinion, however if all you want as you stated is a commuter, then for reasons of gas and ease of parking, a 250 is a much better choice than a 600.

The topic of a 600 as a first bike is discussed here every year, I started on a 600 and I'm still alive, others will swear that you will get a flesh eating decease the moment you buy a 600 as a first bike, meh.

125 to me even as a commuter is a waste of money and time, a 250 id a more adequate choice.

Thanks ZX600. Its more about using the instructors recommendation as ammo against my wife's long standing rule of no motorcycles!

She is onboard with the 125 because Ive convinced her that the Vespa 150 our neighbor has is more potent.

I may need to baby step my way into a bigger bike.

Thanks all for the replies - MSF is next weekend and Im sure you will get a play by play on the search for a bike right here.

Last edited:
I loved taking the MSF, despite doing it in 5degree pouring rain on Saturday. Now with my certificate in hand and a week away from going to the MTO to get my M2, Im stoked!!!

CBR125 is OUT. I used one for the MSF and Im already itching for more. I spent time on the Ninja 250 too - seems like a fine bike but thats now the baseline of what Im looking for.

First step is to get my ***** outfitted with some good usable safety gear. I will try to do that in the coming couple of weeks.

Unsure what direction I will go with a bike but Kijiji and I are becoming good friends the last few days. Safety gear first then I will work the rest out.....

I may decide to wait until spring, who knows. I dont *need* a bike now and who knows, maybe my budget will rise a bit by spring......

Considering how many CBR125R with less than 2000km are listed on Kijiji for around $1600, I don't see why you would choose either of the other choices. Once you talk to insurance your quotes will decide the pricing. A DRZ-400SM will likely be ridden pretty hard and I had $617/year for an 07 CBR125R plus it looks a lot better than the CBR250 and over 100mpg + capable of going above highway speeds and its quiet so you can ride around at night without pissing off the neighborhood. The only advantage I see with the DRZ is the blue plate so you can offroad or ride it through winter If you choose.

Back
Top Bottom