Health Care Horror Stories | GTAMotorcycle.com

Health Care Horror Stories

Wingboy

Site Supporter
If you read about a 66 year old going on a rampage in a Kitchener hospital, it was me.
My wife is in the care of an assessment center. She came in on a walker and is now in a wheelchair with 7 sutures in her head, two broken teeth and bruising to her face and your body. Been visiting her in here for over 5 weeks now. I feel like I'm in the Cuckoos Nest.

If you read about a 66 year old going on a rampage in a Kitchener hospital, it was me.
My wife is in the care of an assessment center. She came in on a walker and is now in a wheelchair with 7 sutures in her head, two broken teeth and bruising to her face and your body. Been visiting her in here for over 5 weeks now. I feel like I'm in the Cuckoos Nest.
Bring Juicy Fruit gum :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I'm truly sorry to hear of your story, but sadly I've heard and seen so many of these it makes me truly sad.

I'm not an heavy user of the medical system but after living as long as I have you are bound to have used or know someone who has used more than basic medical services. Except for my dance with the widowmaker I have never needed hospital care for anything other than minor injuries. Can't say the same for my elderly parents and grandparents, all of them have had situations that I would classify as horror stories.

I have learned that patients requiring hospital care also require an advocate, someone who check on them and ensures they are getting adequate treatment and have good rest, hygiene, and are handled safely and carefully or gently as required.

Was the hospital transparent enough to give you an explanation?

GWS to you wife.

I learned after she fell that she should have had a purple armband (high risk to fall). The hospital she is in has no surgical staff on site. They had to run around for 40 min to scrounge up everything they needed to suture her up. One nurse to hold a flashlight, and another to cut the sutures at the right length. After 3 the 20 year old with scissors fainted. REALLY! Dr screaming for another nurse.
You can't make this **** up.

The 20 year old probably liked the idea of being a doctor and the presumed status that would come with it rather than actually wondering if they were capable of doing the job. These days, sadly, if I’m asked if a resident/student can step in for anything I say no.

I learned after she fell that she should have had a purple armband (high risk to fall). The hospital she is in has no surgical staff on site. They had to run around for 40 min to scrounge up everything they needed to suture her up. One nurse to hold a flashlight, and another to cut the sutures at the right length. After 3 the 20 year old with scissors fainted. REALLY! Dr screaming for another nurse.
You can't make this **** up.
That's unbelievable. My daughter is a nursing student, she can stitch up a cut. Hell, when I was a kid, most hockey trainers could do same.

Ugh. Sorry to hear wingboy. That's not what you (or your wife) needed.

I took a two year old to the hospital last night at 19:45 with a concussion and it was 01:30 before we saw the doc (the only one working emerg). Thankfully the child brain seems to have bounced back (no pun intended) quite well.

my brother in law has been in the Oakville hospital for close to 3 months now...he fell down his stairs and went in for a broken ankle...now mind you, he has other complications (diabetes, dialysis etc) but they're only doing physio twice a week for 10 minutes at a time...at this rate, he'll be out in a year's time! WOW...and, they won't let my sister send in a private physiotherapist that would go in to do additional rehab to help speed the process up...SMH... :(

Mother in law with MS/Diabetes went into a hospital physiotherapy centre using a walker, and came out wheelchair bound and needing a Hoyer lift.

Years later in the nursing home, her ankle was broken while the attendants were getting her out of bed.

At this point in hospitals, it almost seems like someone from the family is expected to be there 24/7.

Maybe you can tell them that your physiotherapist is a member of the family?

Mother in law with MS/Diabetes went into a hospital physiotherapy centre using a walker, and came out wheelchair bound and needing a Hoyer lift.

Years later in the nursing home, her ankle was broken while the attendants were getting her out of bed.

At this point in hospitals, it almost seems like someone from the family is expected to be there 24/7.

Maybe you can tell them that your physiotherapist is a member of the family?
Lost count of the number of times i have said...."no,i don't work here. You do".

That's terrible. The system is broken. Finally said "ok, let's do this" to my ortho to get my shoulder replaced. 13 month wait.

Just to clarify, your wife walked into this hospital and sustained all of these injuries in the hospital?

That's terrible. The system is broken. Finally said "ok, let's do this" to my ortho to get my shoulder replaced. 13 month wait.
The best is when your provincially funded in-patient rehab is in a Jewish hospital and no physio works on Jewish holidays. There are a lot of them. #%^#$%#$%. You are getting public money, I don't care about your religion. Work. At the very least provide an alternative physio those days. Shutting down the entire program is completely unacceptable.

The best is when your provincially funded in-patient rehab is in a Jewish hospital and no physio works on Jewish holidays. There are a lot of them. #%^#$%#$%. You are getting public money, I don't care about your religion. Work. At the very least provide an alternative physio those days. Shutting down the entire program is completely unacceptable.

Why is it a jewish hospital? Do they have extra organs we dont know about?

Just to clarify, your wife walked into this hospital and sustained all of these injuries in the hospital?

My wife had a brain injury from a fall at home in Oct 2017. The health system has been a revolving door for 2 years. She went to the geriatric assessment center 5 weeks ago. So far they have found that she has symptoms of Parkinson's. When she was admitted she was using a walker. They took the walker away and put her in a wheelchair when not doing physio because she is a high risk to fall. And because they are so understaffed, guess what.... She fell.

My wife had a brain injury from a fall at home in Oct 2017. The health system has been a revolving door for 2 years. She went to the geriatric assessment center 5 weeks ago. So far they have found that she has symptoms of Parkinson's. When she was admitted she was using a walker. They took the walker away and put her in a wheelchair when not doing physio because she is a high risk to fall. And because they are so understaffed, guess what.... She fell.
Ah man, sorry to hear that. THC oil is very good for Parkinson's Disease, or any neuro degenerative disease. Better than most medications. That's THC oil (not CBD oil). I can leave a link if you want. It's roughly $50 for a month's worth.

Hospitals are a dangerous place to be.

Ah man, sorry to hear that. THC oil is very good for Parkinson's Disease, or any neuro degenerative disease. Better than most medications. That's THC oil (not CBD oil). I can leave a link if you want. It's roughly $50 for a month's worth.

Hospitals are a dangerous place to be.

Our daughter and i been working on that exact thing. She doesn't want to get "high". Lol.

Sorry to hear about your issues Wingboy. I've been lucky that despite a ton of visits to the medical system over the years (some for life altering surgeries) I've had really nothing but generally good experiences. Even when I've had parents and friends critically ill, or pass away in a hospital environment I like to think that the staff was actually pretty good given then stressful typically short staffed reality they work in every day.

Your surgeon doesn't have you set at a particularly high priority level then. When I had my shoulder reconstruction a few years ago it was a 6 month wait...and I could have had it done *before* that, but I asked to delay things to not wreck riding season. My 4 month recovery was October through February instead of what would have been August to November had I taken the original 4 month schedule.

Ironically now it's looking increasingly like I'm going to need the same on my left shoulder and since my pain is reasonably well controlled at this point I'm looking to do the same - push it off until late fall even though I'm going for my first surgeon consult in 3 weeks.

Anyhow, I'm hijacking WB's thread.

Back
Top Bottom