Hauling Motorcycles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hauling Motorcycles

i have an enclosed single sled trailer....so easy to load and unload with the ramp door..all aluminum cost $3400....would not go with anything smaller than full size with 6.5 if you are doing it often

Cargo load height issues on a pick-up truck can be solved with a longer ramp. Decreases the angle, and the foldable ones still fit neatly inside the bed.

Easier, but not really solved. Generally you'll still need something beside the ramp in order to step up onto before making the final step into the truck bed.

I can step into my van without needing that intermediate step ...

With 4wd, often you can back into a ditch so the tailgate is almost level with the far side. Load the bike, put it in 4, lock everything up and drive out. I agree with the majority though, I would much prefer a trailer than a truck for most tasks.

I would much prefer a trailer than a truck for most tasks.

I purchased a 6' x 10' trailer to haul 2 ST type bikes south for off season riding and loading it is easy and safe. Only challenge is finding parking space for it in the city as drive is relatively small.

If you're loading into a pickup then, as others have mentioned, position truck to minimise the angle of the ramp so you don't bottom out and use a ramp that is wide enough to enable you to put your feet down to stabilize the bike on the way up or down. Most YT videos of ramp disasters show people trying to ride up a very narrow ramp, not making it into the bed of the truck and then there's nowhere to go but straight down to the pavement.

I have a RAM 1500 with the 6.5' bed, I've carried 2 full size sport tourers in the back without issue. You can get a single bike into most 6.5' beds, they will be slightly diagonal. If you have 2 large bikes back there, the tailgate will be open.

Loading/Unloading dirt bikes into a pickup is easy. Anything else is challenging (some of my favorite YouTube videos are motorcycles being loaded into pickups) .

My preference for hauling bikes is a small MC trailer. 1 person loading, safe and easy. Uhaul rents them for $15/day, you can buy small folding MC trailer for $1500 or less. You can tow a MC trailer with almost any car or truck.

Ive only had 5.5-6ft beds and moved countless bikes without issue have a Ready Ramp, load, strap it down and have the readyramp as backup.
Raptor was a big high but still able to load an intruder 800. Main issue was clearing the top, but we had 3 guys so not a problem.

if you are loading or unloading without help, a low trailer is a must.

So it sounds like 6.5' is enough for pretty much any bike, guessing a wee strom would fit fine on one yeah?

Also saw a lot of the trucks on the market already come with hitches installed in case I want to go with a uhaul trailer instead

5’ is too short, 6’ is enough (diagonally or with plywood on the tailgate), 8’ may be too big around the city/parking.

I heard about the plywood thing, not sure how it helps with the tailgate?

If your buying with hauling bikes in mind go with a 6.5 box. For a full crew cab you can't get 8' unless you go to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and you won't want one of those. I do put bikes in 5.5 beds and it works fine on an angle but if your buying just get the size that makes more sense.

The guys saying go trailer are 100% right though.

I have a very nice 4x8 trailer, highland brand, fullsize spare, full size wheels, great shape and all lights work. It will cost you about 3% of a truck. PM me.....

Small trailer also means you don't have to use a pickup truck to tow it. Just about anything will tow a little trailer with a motorcycle on it. I'm at Deals Gap with a group right now. One rider towed her GSXR750 here with her Honda Civic and the bike on a Stinger trailer (very low ramp - very easy for her to load and unload - and it folds up into something that takes up next to no space). Another towed his bike here on a normal open trailer behind another Honda Civic.

Buy a van, my transit will haul two bikes easy with spares and gear. Low entry, everything is stored inside and secure.

A van is the best if you don't have room for, or want to, store a trailer. I used two ramps to load/unload my Odyssey - one for the bike, and one for me to walk beside it. Even with a low tailgate height, it helped to park downhill for loading, and uphill for unloading. Hauling in rain or snow, the bike stays clean, and I never had to worry about the hitch making annoying rattling noises or blowing a tire. Was great for track days because I could sleep inside it on an air mattress and run the heat or AC. Since the wife decided she no longer wanted to be a soccer mom, we replaced it with an SUV and I really miss it. I originally got a Stinger trailer, but the folding feature doesn't save that much space. Then I got a Trailer In A Bag and it's about as good as it gets if storage space is limited. Comes apart for low footprint storage in the garage or in the trunk of your car or SUV if you wanted to do a one-way tow and not tow an empty trailer the other way, like when I picked up a bike from Maryland.

Wife and I were also considering a minivan...with a hitch it would probably be doable to haul motorcycles around too I suppose
I have a honda Odyssey minivan with a 3500lb hitch and a small 5x9 utility trailer. Works perfectly. Much easier to load, lots of dry space inside for gear etc, and you can sleep in the van at the track.
I drove a full size truck for 25 years, I actually like the minivan, it's so useful.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I have a honda Odyssey minivan with a 3500lb hitch and a small 5x9 utility trailer. Works perfectly. Much easier to load, lots of dry space inside for gear etc, and you can sleep in the van at the track.
I drove a full size truck for 25 years, I actually like the minivan, it's so useful.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Had an interesting episode a few days ago with the Uhaul guys recently, I was looking at getting a hitch installed as we are also looking at minivans,
guys at the Uhaul told me they dont install hitches on anything older than 2010? :confused: (Something or another about rust being a supposed issue)

Then they told me the only way they would install a hitch would be if a certified mechanic gave it an OK(written) to have it installed...
and finally the guy at the uhaul garage didnt instill a lot of confidence, he looked at the toyota and couldnt decide if he could or couldnt install it...guessing he was one of those backyard dudes who drove delivery trucks then decided to work for uhaul...said he would 'do his best' to install it, but he might not be able to install it, but wanted me to drop a bunch of money buying all the parts for it anyway..

Gonna speak to my actual mechanic tomorrow...

Not all uhaul locations are the same, the one on barton in Hamilton has guys that seem pretty skilled and could likely put a hitch on anything, same at the location in Mississauga on Royal Windsor. The guys in Guelph seem asleep.

Back
Top Bottom