Hauling Motorcycles | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hauling Motorcycles

Not all uhaul locations are the same, the one on barton in Hamilton has guys that seem pretty skilled and could likely put a hitch on anything, same at the location in Mississauga on Royal Windsor. The guys in Guelph seem asleep.
+1 for the Hamilton guys. My daughter really liked them too

Just installed a hitch on our Odyssey rated for 3500lbs.
Bike is sold now but the next one we will get or rent a small trailer. I’d love to put it inside but wife gave that idea a hard no :(

Had an interesting episode a few days ago with the Uhaul guys recently, I was looking at getting a hitch installed as we are also looking at minivans,
guys at the Uhaul told me they dont install hitches on anything older than 2010? :confused: (Something or another about rust being a supposed issue)

Then they told me the only way they would install a hitch would be if a certified mechanic gave it an OK(written) to have it installed...
and finally the guy at the uhaul garage didnt instill a lot of confidence, he looked at the toyota and couldnt decide if he could or couldnt install it...guessing he was one of those backyard dudes who drove delivery trucks then decided to work for uhaul...said he would 'do his best' to install it, but he might not be able to install it, but wanted me to drop a bunch of money buying all the parts for it anyway..

Gonna speak to my actual mechanic tomorrow...

Have you tried Hitch City or Rack Attack? Don't know if they are any better, but at least they specialize in hitch sales and installation, as opposed to renting equipment. Or go to etrailer.com and look up the hitch you want, and check the installation video/instruction to see how easy it is to install yourself. A second person helps when lifting it up and aligning it to the frame if it's a heavier hitch.

Have you tried Hitch City or Rack Attack? Don't know if they are any better, but at least they specialize in hitch sales and installation, as opposed to renting equipment. Or go to etrailer.com and look up the hitch you want, and check the installation video/instruction to see how easy it is to install yourself. A second person helps when lifting it up and aligning it to the frame if it's a heavier hitch.
I have put hitches on the last four vehicles we had. Normally it is a simple 15 to 30 minute job. For class III hitches, I just balance or clamp them on a floor jack until I get the bolts/nuts started. The last one needed two bumper alignment pins shortened to clear the hitch (which looked plastic but were steel). I haven't put one on my current car yet as apparently, the only way to do it is to remove the bumper cover and a ton of other parts first. What a pain in the ass.

............... Or go to etrailer.com and look up the hitch you want, and check the installation video/instruction to see how easy it is to install yourself.

The etrailer site is a great resource for all things trailer related. When I had a hitch installed on my Highlander I used etrailer to review options and to ensure the hitch would not obstruct access to my full size spare tire. I used a local shop Vehicle Accessories Mississauga – Cobra Car and Truck Accessories for the install and they ordered the Draw-Tite hitch I wanted.

I use a Stinger, just remember that your bike’s suspension is the suspension used on this trailer. Easy on and easy off, tracks well behind any vehicle. Folds up into a 4 x 4 lump. On lighter bikes I use a Versa Haul with vehicle equiped with air bag suspension.

Looks like Stinger sells the Trailer In A Bag as well for $500 less than their folder. Hopefully they didn't just steal the idea from the Trailer In A Bag owner who recently died and actually licensed/purchased the rights.

The owner died and he left no heirs, so the patent expired on his death.

That's what I heard as well, but thought it was just internet rumor. Hard to believe he didn't have a succession plan.

That's what I heard as well, but thought it was just internet rumor. Hard to believe he didn't have a succession plan.
It's crazy, but so many business owners are in similar situations. Even if they have heirs that will take ownership, they have nothing implemented that will facilitate business continuity so in all likelihood, the heirs will have ownership of a defunct company.

Last edited:
A hitch is a very easy self install. However if the vehicle is older the holes in most unibody cars that are tapped for a hitch are quite rusty. Buy the correct size tap and run it through the holes with some grease. Take your time. Toyota’s have a 14mm thread. I have done this on two vehicles and it’s quite easy. If you try and do it with an impact you will break the bolt.

Forget a pickup. Get a van. I hauled various bikes for years, all except for the really tall bikes, like 1200GS or Multistrada, in an Astro mini-van (not the extended body, but the short body). The van had tonnes of room, was dry, and mostly was secure for overnight (no one could see what was inside). If you have a taller bike you can get a regular van and just remove the mirrors before loading.

People order what they want... I have a F150 Crew cab, or "super crew cab"... Whatever Ford calls it, with a 6.5' bed, but You can get the same truck with the full 8' bed or the itty bitty 5' bed.
All depends on your wants/neeeds and the $$ you want to say "goodbye" to
We were told at work that GM no longer sells trucks with the full cab and the full size bed. Don't know if it's true but all our trucks have short beds now.
Wife and I were also considering a minivan...with a hitch it would probably be doable to haul motorcycles around too I suppose
I've seen a member here haul 2 bikes inside a GM Safari. Looked like it worked well. Edit: Just saw the post above and I believe it was actually an Astro. Not the same person though.

I went to Hitch City once and the service was terrible.

I've seen a member here haul 2 bikes inside a GM Safari. Looked like it worked well. Edit: Just saw the post above and I believe it was actually an Astro. Not the same person though.

I am a big fan of Astro/Safari vans. I am working on my 5th or 6th one. The only bike, so far, that hasn't fit was a Honda Shadow, couldn't close the rear door 'cuz of that stupid rear fender that sticks out about 18". I've had a Goldwing in there... BUT you can't lay a 4x8 sheet in there and close the doors... short by about 3/4" . DOH!
When I needed to replace the last one at 500,000km I looked at other vans but couldn't find anything that would work as well for the money. The closest was the Nissan NV. I bought another Astro for $1000, It's at 350,000km now.

I am a big fan of Astro/Safari vans. I am working on my 5th or 6th one. The only bike, so far, that hasn't fit was a Honda Shadow, couldn't close the rear door 'cuz of that stupid rear fender that sticks out about 18". I've had a Goldwing in there... BUT you can't lay a 4x8 sheet in there and close the doors... short by about 3/4" . DOH!
When I needed to replace the last one at 500,000km I looked at other vans but couldn't find anything that would work as well for the money. The closest was the Nissan NV. I bought another Astro for $1000, It's at 350,000km now.
You were the person I was referring to, lol.

I just hate that the front fender is in the footwell. Found them very annoying to drive for long distances because of that.

They come an AWD which is a bonus to me.

I've had 3 bikes in a Astro. Not big bikes, 2 RDs and a CB175. (A friend used to put her CB175 in the back of her Honda Civic to get to the races till I offered to get the bike to the track)
... there was this one time I put 6 or 7 dirt bikes in the back of a Ford Ranger... piled up like cord wood. Got pulled over by the OPP and got a stern talking to. I explained that they weren't MY bikes. We LOLed, carry on!

I’ll probably have a 2016 STINGER trailer for sale at the end of the season just in case all this discussion generates some interest in it... :D

I’ll include “shock straps” that make a huge difference in creating a more cushy ride when the bike is strapped down.. also a couple dollies that make it easier maneuver the trailer when folded and/or standing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom