Has the Naked bike killed the Super Sport? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has the Naked bike killed the Super Sport?

Clutt-225

Is it evolution? Is it insurance rates? Are Super Sports to fast for the street? We’re they always to fast for the street? Why is the MT09 better than an R6?
And will adventure bikes eventually take over everything ?

Well my personal take for what it’s worth which is not much. I have very little experience on an R6 and I can say it was awful. It was in my garage I could take it anytime I wanted. I spent 45 min on it and never rode it again.
It was a 2001 R6
It was only fast if it was screaming, wich is exactly what my lower back and wrists were doing in short time. If your not tracking these bikes I really don’t get the appeal.

I've done a couple day trips on a 2019 MT09
loved it. It has a Yamaha comfort seat a needed option, and small wind screen.
only complaint was lack of wind protection on long sustained 120kph +.
lack of luggage wich could be fixed with a small tail or side bags, maybe even just a tank bag.

Not sure on insurance as neither bike was my own but I hear the MT09 is cheaper to insure for most people.

When i was a kid I wanted an SS but never could afford it. I wanted an SRAD GSX-R so bad. Bought a Bandit instead and it was perfect for me at the time. Took a break from bikes for a while and then we got a CBR600RR traded in at my work. I took it for a rip and my wrists hurt in 20 minutes. Now i ride a naked bike and don't think twice about an SS. The insurance issue is what keeps 20 year olds now from buying the SS.

The naked bikes are a ton of fun, the transition from a SS to a naked bike has been an absolute pleasure (R6 to MT09). The added comfort in suspension and riding geometry along with the increased torque makes it infinitely more practical for street use. Can't deny the sex appeal of a SS though nor the outright performance. This video comes to mind:

They'll still be used in professional racing
They'll still be popular anywhere that isnt insurio

So no.

Nakeds and ADV are a growing and popular segment though

Supersports are usually incredible art pieces, and in the hands of the right rider, fantastic machines. I could stare at my R6 for hours when I had it, but the right rider I was not. I was also uncomfortable on it. It was also tall enough that I had trouble duck walking backwards sometimes(up slight grade was absolutely impossible). Incredible experience , wonderful noise, I still love R6s and sometimes get the itch to start shopping again but remember that if it doesn't kill me, I'll end up in jail.

For alot of people, insurance is definitely the killer though. Most people who are young enough to tolerate the ergonomics, can't afford the bill. If I had endless money, I'd have a brand new R1 just sitting in my house, under lights, roped off. Maybe an exhaust extractor so that I could hear the sweet music once in a while.

It was a 2001 R6
It was only fast if it was screaming, wich is exactly what my lower back and wrists were doing in short time. If your not tracking these bikes I really don’t get the appeal.

Modern literbikes have enough torque down low and when they get up to the higher revs, they will make you crap your pants and cream your pants at the same time.

Insurance on an SS is almost triple for me. Naked looks good though, easy for maintenance without removing fairings.. But it didn't look right with a giant screen.. So I went adv route.. Good wind protection, good for 6'+ guys and no bug splatters on my chest ?

That was a great vide that was accurate in so many ways.
See for me it was not an insurance thing I could have had a super sport cheaper than my Harley. I started riding in my late 30’s and my first couple years my insurance was around $2600 a year. The owner of said R6 is an employee of mine. His insurance was half what I was paying and he was an M2 rider as well.
But I really enjoy riding and when I get out I want to ride 300 to 400km.
I know it’s not a sport bike and it’s big and heavy but the KTM 1190 ticked all the boxes. But I secretly want a 1290 Duke gt especially after a day on the MT09.

Insurance on an SS is almost triple for me. Naked looks good though, easy for maintenance without removing fairings.. But it didn't look right with a giant screen.. So I went adv route.. Good wind protection, good for 6'+ guys and no bug splatters on my chest ?

what are you riding?
I’m only 5’9” with 30” leg so I do struggle with seat height on my bike.

I forgot to talk about nakeds. To me, they are about compromise. Have never appealed to me. Styling is a huge part of the exotic nature of a supersport, I think. There are a few that pull that off, but I don't know. Just never really had that gut feeling that I had to have one. CBR600RR Repsol, I had that feeling, wanted it sooo bad, I never got it but it had that draw. When I saw the kijiji ad for a 2003 R6 at a good price, it was so damn sexy, I NEEDED it, didn't haggle, emailed deposit before seeing it. Looking at a monster, or a speed triple yeah they're cool, but I don't drool, I don't NEED one, and they're some of the coolest nakeds I have seen.

This is why I went with the multistrada 1260s, all the power I need, great handling, upright riding position, fantastic suspension, good looks, the right branding ... expensive in every way though.
To answer the OP yes Inthink so, at least here in North America, thanks to Ewan and Charlie in part.

See when selling the Harley I was also faced with the wife.
She really didn’t like the sport bike idea and nakeds to her we’re still sport bikes.
was very hard to get a green light on a super naked 1290cc bike referred to as the Beast. So I compromised further still and bought a big dirt bike thingy with tool boxes on the side ? and my insurance was almost halved. Another win for adventure bikes. But I still fantasize about the beast....

This is why I went with the multistrada 1260s, all the power I need, great handling, upright riding position, fantastic suspension, good looks, the right branding ... expensive in every way though.
To answer the OP yes Inthink so, at least here in North America, thanks to Ewan and Charlie in part.

Ive spent a little bit of time on a Multi 1250S and lots of time chasing it.
what an ugly yet beautiful machine. Your absolutely right. It does everything well.
btw No offence I think all adventure bikes are ugly.

The new Panagali V4 is an absolute work of art. I mean that is probably about as good as any motorcycle could possibly look. As long as I could remove those stupid looking winglets. I’m not going fast enough to need them anyhow.
And why are they on the street fighter that just looks silly too.

I wonder how long until insurance premiums catch up with nakeds?
some of the manus are really pushing it to the limit

how this bike remains affordable to insure baffles me

LFT8oEL.jpg

Ive spent a little bit of time on a Multi 1250S and lots of time chasing it.
what an ugly yet beautiful machine. Your absolutely right. It does everything well.
btw No offence I think all adventure bikes are ugly.
What are you riding now?

Back
Top Bottom