Hanging up the helmet for a couple years | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hanging up the helmet for a couple years

I'm a big x2 with the suggestions to buy something small, cheap, and of zero interest to thieves.

At least you're not only still on 2 wheels, but you won't have to take it in the rear again in a few years when you're wanting to get back into the market and you have the "insurance gap of death" on your record.

The glider thing has always been of interest to me, but last I looked I exceeded the weight limits.

Even if I was paying $1000/month for a bike and insurance it would take almost 20 years to save up a proper down payment (20%) to buy a house. Not really helping that much IMO but I guess it could make a big difference for some depending on location and the property you want to buy.

$1000/mo x20 years + interest compounded is a crap ton of money as GG touched on..

investmentGTAM.jpeg

$1000/mo x20 years + interest compounded is a crap ton of money as GG touched on..

View attachment 41200
3% is a pretty crap return as well. At 7%, interest becomes $281,000, at 15% (admittedly high, but possible) interest becomes $1,257,000. Crap tons.

Over the last 5 years, my RRSP portfolio return has been (in percent) 22, 22, 13, 8, 18, -2. Nothing was sold during that time, just buy and hold, dividends are not included in those percentages. 15%+ returns are possible without gambling.

Last edited:
It happens. Though your not hanging up being on two wheel because of theft, its because you can't get the bike you want. There's many options, from Dirt Bikes, not highly sought after bikes, and plus with Insurance why be worried, you can still get what you love and be covered.

tbh I would do the same thing your doing and may just have to soon, its getting expensive for me and find getting time+money for the hobby although doable, I'm throwing money away from savings at an early age which I may regret later on. One day I'd love to move out west and have a bike there, right now, I can't go and have both, So i stay here ?

Yep...although 3% is far more common now than 7%, at least not without higher risk, that's for sure. ;)

Anyhow, OT...but there IS an argument to be made for not having toys and investing the money instead, no question. But one must still live so long as you're not putting yourself in a situation where you're eating cat food in your 90's because your priorities were wrong when you were in your 20's and 30's. Motorcycling is still something that requires disposable income in the end. ;)

Who is paying 7% and 15% interest?

Asking for a friend.

No, actually, asking for me.
Updated the post. Not paying interest, invested. If I am saving with a 20 year horizon, keeping it as cash is crazy and in all likelihood, I will be losing capital as guaranteed investment interest will lag inflation.

It’s a battle with having a passion for something and then having road blocks that prevent you from continuing to do it.

While different from some, I shifted from motorcycles to cars. While a classic British car doesn’t lean or provide the same thrills as a motorcycle, there is a community of owners, they do have interesting runs and they like to have fun.

I’ve rung out my little MGB at an event in Watkins Glen this summer and it was truly thrilling experience.

The drive there was great, the rides around the area to visit various wineries and distilleries was nice. But, I’m also an old fart.

And my eyes wander to some British bikes from time to time.

But, my cheap thrills are less from dragging a knee to more of a breeze through what’s left of my hair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's view on this topic. But for me, I love the thrill of being on 2 wheels with power. Started riding 4 years ago on a 300cc and loved it, but once I felt the true power of what a bike can push, that's what really gives me a thrill and makes it that much more worth it. Done roughly 60,000km in the last 4 years, this year not being so much due to electrical issues that needed to be sorted out. I don't necessarily need another SS, but a super naked (FZ09, Z900, Z1000) would be great. Ya, a little bike that no one wants to steal would get the bug out of my system, but it wouldn't necessarily be a satisfying thrilling sensation.
Insurance can suck on a big one for the whole "insurance gap" BS, such a scam isn't it? Worse case I'd have my M license in a couple years and would still have the "3 year no gap" that I have now, so I wouldn't be paying any more than I am now, I'd just be paying more than I would have if I were to keep riding.
I have the option of storing it a 2 friends houses, but I like to be able to gear up, grab my helmet and ride when I want to.
Another passion of mine is drums. I have a 14 piece drum kit still sitting in my parents basement worth well over what my bike was that NEVER get touched. Those, I won't sell because one day I will move into a house and be able to play again. I might take the $4500 I got from insurance and drop it into a nice set of electric Roland V skin drum kit so I can play in my building.
Now I'm just all over the place LOL!

Talked with a guy I know who had 30 years experience and gave it up for several years. Sold his bike and now missed it so much he was going to buy another one until he called insurance and found out he's now considered a new rider with resulting huge insurance increase. He decided to drop the idea.

Talked with a guy I know who had 30 years experience and gave it up for several years. Sold his bike and now missed it so much he was going to buy another one until he called insurance and found out he's now considered a new rider with resulting huge insurance increase. He decided to drop the idea.
Guy that worked on my CBX over the last winter had the same happen but he only went without a bike for a few months.

My wife's gonna be surprised when/if she decides to ride again then.

She stopped riding because she got pregnant. Makes it seem kind of unfair sexist thing if you think about it. I mean, yeah it was out choice to have a kid but can some smart lawyer figure out that it's similar to pregnancy/career advancement thing?

Mayne not completely being it down to brand new rider, but few years after taking refresher course of something.

That'll never happen I know.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I appreciate everyone's view on this topic. But for me, I love the thrill of being on 2 wheels with power. Started riding 4 years ago on a 300cc and loved it, but once I felt the true power of what a bike can push, that's what really gives me a thrill and makes it that much more worth it. Done roughly 60,000km in the last 4 years, this year not being so much due to electrical issues that needed to be sorted out. I don't necessarily need another SS, but a super naked (FZ09, Z900, Z1000) would be great. Ya, a little bike that no one wants to steal would get the bug out of my system, but it wouldn't necessarily be a satisfying thrilling sensation.
Insurance can suck on a big one for the whole "insurance gap" BS, such a scam isn't it? Worse case I'd have my M license in a couple years and would still have the "3 year no gap" that I have now, so I wouldn't be paying any more than I am now, I'd just be paying more than I would have if I were to keep riding.
I have the option of storing it a 2 friends houses, but I like to be able to gear up, grab my helmet and ride when I want to.
Another passion of mine is drums. I have a 14 piece drum kit still sitting in my parents basement worth well over what my bike was that NEVER get touched. Those, I won't sell because one day I will move into a house and be able to play again. I might take the $4500 I got from insurance and drop it into a nice set of electric Roland V skin drum kit so I can play in my building.
Now I'm just all over the place LOL!
'no one' is stealing z1000s/z900s or fz09s to my knowledge, go nuts.

My wife's gonna be surprised when/if she decides to ride again then.

She stopped riding because she got pregnant. Makes it seem kind of unfair sexist thing if you think about it. I mean, yeah it was out choice to have a kid but can some smart lawyer figure out that it's similar to pregnancy/career advancement thing?

Mayne not completely being it down to brand new rider, but few years after taking refresher course of something.

That'll never happen I know.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
would love to see the look on a brokers/insurers face when you have that discussion. can just see them itching to ask you, so why cancel even if you weren't going to ride? lol

Vstrom....don't put a cover on it
and some theft deterrents
anchor into the concrete
put a camera on it
alarm it
and have a stern chat with your building management about security

or move
riding is that important to me
I'd move rather than give it up

Vstrom....don't put a cover on it
and some theft deterrents
anchor into the concrete