Guelph rider- Deals Gap | GTAMotorcycle.com

Guelph rider- Deals Gap

omnivore

Site Supporter
Last Sunday, while riding across the Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains towrads Robbinsville, we encountered a white GSXR in the ditch. Plastics scattered about, forks sheared off, guardrail damaged, oil/ coolant spill across both lanes, and no rider in sight. There was a patch of brush packed down right over the guardrail where it was damaged, presumably the rider went over. We pulled over, ran back to the crash site and began calling for the downed rider, climbing down the embankment, praying that we wouldn't find one, in hopes that he was already saved. We found no rider. We picked up the bike , realizing then that it was cool to the touch, so not too recent, and as it was right at the edge of the road on inside of a turn (this is what initially startled me as I lead our group ride). We picked it up and leaned it against a sign further from the road's surface, so as not to freak out any more riders who came around the turn to see it laying right at the road's edge. We found it had Ontario plates and found an Ontario driver's licence in the mud with a Guelph rider's name on it. We picked up the licence with the intention of taking it to the CRoT to see if someone knew a group of other Ont riders who had a downed rider who lost his licence.
A half hr later we stopped at a gas station, and saw a Land Rover with Ont plates, towing a trailer, gassing up. I eavesdropped the two dudes talking about where to pick up the crashed GSXR. I asked if they had a Guelph buddy go down on the Skyway and they said yes. We gave them the licence for their buddy, who apparently had been airlifted to hospital, with broken bones and possible internal injuries.

The next time we rode the Skyway, we saw a cross built at the crash site.....We hope this is just in mouring of buddy's destroyed bike, and not a rider who succumbed to his injuries.

Can anyone update the status of the rider?

Last edited:
When I continued along the Skyway the other day, I didn't see the cross. I saw other, older ones. So not sure if I just missed it, or there wasn't a new one erected.

Anyway, definitely hoping that all is well with the rider.

I'll ask the guys around here if they knew about it. They were talking about going down there...

Yea that really sucked to come across that. I was down there looking thru the bush praying to not find someone yet hoping to find someone that we could still help.
Would be nice to hear that he pulled thru with no serious injuries and was just an old cross.
Really shook all the guys for a bit.

That was one scary moment, by the look of the bike I thought for sure we were about to find a dead/dying rider.

Best wishes to the rider.We know that same corner "No Name Gap" all to well, as one rider in our group ran wide and hit the gravel, then oil patch. Rider is bumped and bruised and will be fine, but the bike did not survive. From the looks of all the markings on the road, that corner has claimed a few victims.

Gws

Back
Top Bottom