GTAM likes and dislikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

GTAM likes and dislikes

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Let's have a positive discussion about what the members want or don't want here. I don't want to add to covid burnout. I want to hear about the things that make you happy here, or the things that frustrate you and you would change.

Off topic will be deleted.

I don’t like the ads in the Tapatalk app. Even just scrolling through a thread opens them up.

I like the fact it's more of a community feel here versus places like Facebook where you may often never see the same person twice.

It reminds me a lot of the BBS era, for people who were into that scene back in the 80's and 90's and remember it.

Likes - Really helpful close knit community, with a lot of humor. Thank you!

Dislikes - There are far too many non-motorcycle related discussions, in comparison to ones that are related. Even fewer posts in the tourer/traveler section. The ones pertaining to motorcycles are more theoretical - feels like people spend a lot more time discussing motorcycles than actually riding them.

Maybe we can do more forum wide G2Gs and plan small rides when the situation improves.

(Honest feedback from someone who's been with you for the past 8 months - No offence meant)

Likes - Really helpful close knit, community, with a lot of humor. Thank you!

Dislikes - There are far too many non-motorcycle related discussions, in comparison to ones that are related. Even fewer posts in the tourer/traveler section. The ones pertaining to motorcycles are more theoretical - feels like people spend a lot more time discussing motorcycles than actually riding them.

Maybe we can do more forum wide G2Gs and plan small rides when the situation improves.

(Honest feedback from someone who's been with you for the past 8 months - No offence meant)
I believe those are called thought experiments.
If its good enough for physicists, its good enough for me.

I like the ignore button

I don't like it when people ignore the ignore button and get into snits with someone they should just ignore

Add a facepalm emoji to the like clicky

I like @Wingboy's bread pics
and @kwtoxman food pics, but he hasnt posted in a while

Been with this forum off and on since Y2K (remember that?) and make it a point to drop by the stall at the Jan show (now, a distant memory!).
Likes ....
- the strong sense of community.
- ppl are genuinely helpful with their posts and comments.
- the forum topics are well segregated.
Dislike ....
- thread hijacks.
Regrets ......
The group rides have become sparse.
I remember the annual "Fall Ride", over 50 bikes, no accidents, no overtaking - one great experience!
Wish ....
- More attention to classics and restorations
(I know that there is a CVMG, but the "spirit" of the GTAM is different)
- More posts from POs', they are active on Twitter and LinkedIn, why not share local information here?

Dislikes: Maliciousness & Sophistry

Not as much overt maliciousness around now, but increasing amounts of sophistry.

Had to look up sophistry. Agree.
Was easier for you to look up, than for me.

soph•ist•ry sŏf′ĭ-strē​

• n. Plausible but fallacious argumentation.
  • n. A plausible but misleading or fallacious argument.
  • n. The methods of teaching, doctrines, or practices of the Greek sophists.
Subtly deceptive reasoning or argumentation.

soph•ist•ry sŏf′ĭ-strē​

?

soph•ist•ry sŏf′ĭ-strē​

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but that's entirely wrong. This is the correct definition:

soph•ist•ry sŏf′ĭ-strē​

• n. An argument that can be won either by assertion and/or repetition.
  • n. A obviously true argument that doesn't require any further scrutiny because it can be corroborated by quotes from well-respected sources, like Facebook, YouTube and/or Twitter.
The burden of proof rests not on the one making sophist arguments, but by everyone else who disagrees. And even if they are able prove the sophist reasoning is flawed, they're still wrong.

Just because.

Sophistry. The Internet's most-preferred method of arguing since 1924.

Likes: you generally get out what you put in. I avoid a lot of the more contentious topics here, so the experience here is usually generally pleasant.

Dislikes: none really. Although, maybe it's time to consolidate some of the forums. The activity on some has been decreasing over the years.

Suggestion: perhaps for Romper Room posts, you can add a topic tag. E.g. if it's going to be about politics, then have a 'politics' tag.

I started with "What's the word that means . . .". Nope not proselytizing, not deception, not circumlocution . . . Until I found the one.

I like the local angle on things here. I would post more how to stuff etc., but YouTube has it all. Also, I'd post mods and accessory installs but people might just think I'm bragging, or worse spamming, but yeah more motorcycle info is always good. I dislike not having a wet bikini contest with hot young girls who like older men on motorcycles.

I think discussion forums content started out with concentrated subject matter - technical help, peer reviews, tips and tricks etc. That stuff is quicker and easier to find using Google or YouTube these days. Forums are now mostly about community.

GTAM has a great community. Motorcycle enthusiasts of all types, and a fairly wide range of ages.

Likes: Community. Non motorcycle discussions with a hint of motorcyclist flavor (odor?). Lightheartedness.

Dislikes: censorship, too few Harley riders.

Wants: More organized rides, more trip stories/reviews, member benefits (group buys, membership discounts at GP/FortNine/Royal etc.) Motorcycle advocacy (there is a sizable force here, flexing a little strength to move the stakes on things like Insurance and helmet laws).

Motorcycle advocacy (there is a sizable force here, flexing a little strength to move the stakes on things like Insurance and helmet laws).
Hmm. What happened to that guy? There was someone that used to be around all the time that was trying to push that front and got himself on the news a few times advocating for safety and visibility and I think organized a few rides to promote the cause. Part of me wants to say @shanekingsley but I don't think that's right.

Back
Top Bottom