GS500 ran out of fuel! | GTAMotorcycle.com

GS500 ran out of fuel!

leedufour

Site Supporter
My buddies bike.
It stuttered and died. He switched over to reserve and ran about 1 km before it died again.
Couldn't get it restarted.
After re-fueling, there is no issue. Bike runs fine.
Is it possible that the valve has an issue, making the bike always run off the reserve line?
Any other thoughts?
Thanks!
Btw, not sure of the year right now but I'll get it tomorrow.

Was there actually any fuel in the tank? Could be the reserve line is clogged. Or was the bike at a weird angle? I know if i tried to use reserve but my bike was pointed down hill, theres no way the gas would flow out the petcock, its too far back.

I heard on some bikes the taller tube for the regular line of the petcock can fall off. So when you switch to the reserve the fuel has already been drained down to there anyways. Never had it happen and dont know if his petcock is even like that. But that might be a simple fix to pull the petcock and check.

That bike has two lines off the tank to a remote petcock likely someone along the way has switched the lines and he has been riding on reserve even though the valve says on.

That bike has two lines off the tank to a remote petcock likely someone along the way has switched the lines and he has been riding on reserve even though the valve says on.

^^^^

this is the kind of advice that comes from years of experience.

Did you stop to lay the bike over as far as possible to the petcock side?

Usually the tank fits the frame like a saddle and the low part on the far side traps gas that can't get over the "hump"

More than once this technique has gotten me home.

Back
Top Bottom