Green plated to blue plated | GTAMotorcycle.com

Green plated to blue plated

I purchased a brand new KLX 250 from a dealer here in the Durham region, the dealer knew that I had planned on getting my motorcycle license eventually, and said it would be no problem to change it from green plates to blue plates. Now I’m hearing that service Ontario will not allow it. Has anyone tried to do this recently?

I think you are good to go if you make it non-certified first and then get a mechanics certificate to say it's road worthy and then apply for the blue plate.

Actually I'm sure that should work because pretty sure you are even allowed to build 1 motorcycle in your life from scratch and blue plate it lol

How would I go about getting it non certified? It would be absolute **** if I couldn’t convert it, I didn’t have my license at the time of purchase so I couldn’t blue plate it.

Sure I had an ownership that said non-certified or non-fit certificate on it prior to being issued a new one that said RBT (rebuilt in VIN talk)
That was part of the process required to assign a new ownership, keep your original to prove chain of ownership in future years.

So since it’s not blue plated it would be considered non certified? Then I get a mechanic to say it’s road worthy and then apply for a blue plate?

Sort if these are stupid questions, I didn’t think it would be an issue to switch plates. We don’t have this hassle in Newfoundland lol

So since it’s not blue plated it would be considered non certified? Then I get a mechanic to say it’s road worthy and then apply for a blue plate?
No it is currently considered an off highway.
You need to pay the 30 bucks or whatever to get a new piece of official paper, Unfit owners certificate
Then go through the mechanical certification process and pay another 30 or so for another piece of paper. That's your new ownership.

Your VIN should not be a problem to road certify, that's no competition bike, it will appear on insurance people's computer np.
sadly you are going to be paying a lot more for bike insurance.

I’m looking to sell the bike so regardless I’m screwed either way I guess, no one will want to pay tons of money for insurance either

That sucks if you want to ride it,
if you just want to sell it post pics.

Newfoundland, quite the boat ride,
did that one in bad weather, once, that's some adventure.

Do you have the means and interest to ride blue plate areas currently?

Post pics it will sell if it's in decent shape.

Just take your current (green plated) ownership to Service Ontario and explain that you want it road legal and that it came that way from the factory. They will issue you a new ownership with unfit (uncertified) status. The new owner can get a safety after the sale.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I'm having a hard time understanding why a dealer would sell a factory street legal bike with a green plate title, what a pain in the butt

I'm having a hard time understanding why a dealer would sell a factory street legal bike with a green plate title, what a pain in the butt
I couldn’t get it blue plated because I didn’t have my beginners, if I knew it couldn’t be switched I would have done the test before hand ?

Just take your current (green plated) ownership to Service Ontario and explain that you want it road legal and that it came that way from the factory. They will issue you a new ownership with unfit (uncertified) status. The new owner can get a safety after the sale.

It’ll be as easy as that?!

Yes. When they run the vin they will see that it is street legal from the factory. The issue these days is trying to blue plate an actual offroad bike.

i did this with an old yamaha that was sold as an enduro not long ago.... i had to send the vin into yamaha right off there website asking if they could confirm that it sold as one and they sent me an email back from the factory place off the 404... sadly when i brought this into the driver place with a saftey inspection they said it wasnt good enough and i needed someone to actually sign it so i went there and got it signed no problem lol then at the ministry place the dude gave me some affidavit thing stating i didnt lie about anything for about 20$ or somthing and then all was good

there is somthing about a nevis fourm that dealerships can fill out for new bikes that will allow them to have a street legal ownerships.... the more i read the more i think they never changed anything and just hid it all... they just didnt want everyone legally flying around on actual non bogged down dirt bikes

i did this with an old yamaha that was sold as an enduro not long ago.... i had to send the vin into yamaha right off there website asking if they could confirm that it sold as one and they sent me an email back from the factory place off the 404... sadly when i brought this into the driver place with a saftey inspection they said it wasnt good enough and i needed someone to actually sign it so i went there and got it signed no problem lol then at the ministry place the dude gave me some affidavit thing stating i didnt lie about anything for about 20$ or somthing and then all was good

there is somthing about a nevis fourm that dealerships can fill out for new bikes that will allow them to have a street legal ownerships.... the more i read the more i think they never changed anything and just hid it all... they just didnt want everyone legally flying around on actual non bogged down dirt bikes

NVIS is New Vehicle Information Sheet.
The dealer MUST have that to register a new machine without having to provide a fitness certificate.
That hasn't changed in decades.

Back
Top Bottom