Great Ontario Bike Roads-The BIG map! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Great Ontario Bike Roads-The BIG map!

Anyone use curvature?
Curvature

Just took a quick peek.

Seems to me that it doesn't take into account two very important features for motorcyclists: road quality and speed limit.

For example, two roads that all motorcyclists flock to are the 507 and 511. Neither are highlighted on the map. Instead, there's Beaver Lake Road off the 507, which is gravel. Also, South Lavant Road off the 511 starts off well, but turns to gravel further in.

I think it's a good tool for identifying some roads to investigate, but in more populated areas like South West Ontario, most of the good roads have already been discovered and documented somewhere, in terms of tarmac quality, speed/flow, and ability to link to other good roads.

Just took a quick peek.

Seems to me that it doesn't take into account two very important features for motorcyclists: road quality and speed limit.

For example, two roads that all motorcyclists flock to are the 507 and 511. Neither are highlighted on the map. Instead, there's Beaver Lake Road off the 507, which is gravel. Also, South Lavant Road off the 511 starts off well, but turns to gravel further in.

I think it's a good tool for identifying some roads to investigate, but in more populated areas like South West Ontario, most of the good roads have already been discovered and documented somewhere, in terms of tarmac quality, speed/flow, and ability to link to other good roads.
Online only seems to have the 1000 kmz map. To see the 511, you have to download and open the 300 kmz map with Google Earth.

Just took a quick peek.

I would argue that 507 is only known because it's the best of a bad lot within any distance of Toronto. There are better corners, but the roads are hilariously short (Snake, Forks). Anywhere else, it would be a bang average stretch nobody would notice. 511 is a bit better, and sections do show up as red on the 300 kmz map.

It does highlight in purple all the best roads I've ridden through BC (Sunshine Coast, Campbell River to Gold River, interior towards Nelson, etc.) and all the good ones through Oregon (eastern Oregon is amazing, by the way - billiard table smooth roads and no people), and Northern California.

But as you say, it also highlights a lot of gravel and dirt roads, so heavy editing would be required...

Lastly, looking at the incredible density of purple in Italy only reinforces my desire to retire there. You could ride for a lifetime and still be missing great roads...

I would argue that 507 is only known because it's the best of a bad lot within any distance of Toronto. There are better corners, but the roads are hilariously short (Snake, Forks). Anywhere else, it would be a bang average stretch nobody would notice. 511 is a bit better, and sections do show up as red on the 300 kmz map.

It does highlight in purple all the best roads I've ridden through BC (Sunshine Coast, Campbell River to Gold River, interior towards Nelson, etc.) and all the good ones through Oregon (eastern Oregon is amazing, by the way - billiard table smooth roads and no people), and Northern California.

But as you say, it also highlights a lot of gravel and dirt roads, so heavy editing would be required...

Lastly, looking at the incredible density of purple in Italy only reinforces my desire to retire there. You could ride for a lifetime and still be missing great roads...
There are tons of great roads in Ontario. Been riding for sometime, I discover a new one every once and a while. I ran a few faves this weekend, Deep Bay and Glamorgan, neither are perfectly groomed but are good rides. At the end of Glamorgan and 118, I often take Kushog lake rd. On the weekend I stayed right after about 1km and explored Buckslide rd - another great find, perfect pavement too.

Another thing I don’t get is fear of rough or dirt roads. Unless you ride an SS, the fear is your inexperience, your bike doesn’t care.

Another thing I don’t get is fear of rough or dirt roads. Unless you ride an SS, the fear is your inexperience, your bike doesn’t care.
My tyres do care - I ended up doing a kilometre of mud on 100% road tyres and it was... fun?

There are tons of great roads in Ontario. Been riding for sometime, I discover a new one every once and a while. I ran a few faves this weekend, Deep Bay and Glamorgan, neither are perfectly groomed but are good rides. At the end of Glamorgan and 118, I often take Kushog lake rd. On the weekend I stayed right after about 1km and explored Buckslide rd - another great find, perfect pavement too.
Don't get me wrong, there's quite a few good roads here. But not many I would class as 'great'. It could be far worse (i.e. from Winnipeg to Calgary), and I personally think Ontario has spots as beautiful as anywhere on earth. But California/Oregon/Tennessee/Virginia/Spain/Italy it definitely ain't.

Being in Hamilton, I'm also on the wrong side of the GTA for good curves, so am biased accordingly.

Definitely depends on the bike. It's not fear, just enjoyment. My Tuono has K-Tech suspension set for road and track, so rough roads are just no fun. Firm dirt is more doable, as long as it's not washboard or potholes, but I'm not a fan of sandblasting a mostly unprotected bike, so avoid whenever possible...

My post was partly aimed at Shane who's been known to take the odd gravel road.

Part of 509 S Lavant Road is paved on Google maps, but seemed to be gravel when I went by today.

Last edited:
Not sure if Gray Rd 1 has been mentioned. Couldn't find it on the bikeroads site, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I've driven it many times but never on two wheels. Hopefully this season will be it!

Not much to speak of in terms of technical driving but the scenery is beautiful, a good amount of parks to pull over at, lots of wind in the face (if you're into it), good views of Georgian Bay, and barely a car insight. Gas stations at both ends of the stretch (Wiarton/Owen Sound) as well.

Every time I drive down that stretch, I tell myself that if I could chose a way to go, it would be sitting on the back porch of one of the Bay-side cottages out there. Drift off into the long sleep.

Reactions: LBV
Not sure if Gray Rd 1 has been mentioned. Couldn't find it on the bikeroads site, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I've driven it many times but never on two wheels. Hopefully this season will be it!

Not much to speak of in terms of technical driving but the scenery is beautiful, a good amount of parks to pull over at, lots of wind in the face (if you're into it), good views of Georgian Bay, and barely a car insight. Gas stations at both ends of the stretch (Wiarton/Owen Sound) as well.

Every time I drive down that stretch, I tell myself that if I could chose a way to go, it would be sitting on the back porch of one of the Bay-side cottages out there. Drift off into the long sleep.
Yeah that's a great road. Scenic and peaceful for sure.
Lot's more here if you are interested (although not much mentioned west of the GTA): Re: The best roads/routes in Ontario/Quebec/U.S.

I've looked at that area many times on a map for a ride and figured it'd be beautiful - thanks for confirming.

Kind of like when the Swedes say "there's no bad weather, you're just improperly dressed"

Back
Top Bottom