Great deal on a great Battery Tender at Canadian Tire! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Great deal on a great Battery Tender at Canadian Tire!

im just finishing up my first season up here and was wondering about a tender. if i kept the battery indoors in a warm environment is it still a good idea to get one? how much of a charge would a battery lose over the winter?

Have mine charging 3 12v batteries in parallel, wonder how long it will take. (they are all motorcycle batteries)
That's not a good idea. It is necessary to have circuitry to manage the current flow in such a setup, otherwise you risk having one battery discharge the other batteries. The introduction of a diode with each battery should prevent reverse current and self-discharge; but then you'll have to ensure that the output voltage on the charger is enough when you decrease it by the forward voltage drop of the diode (0.7V). It is much better to rotate use of the charger with each battery one at a time or to buy three chargers.

Last edited:
That's not a good idea. It is necessary to have circuitry to manage the current flow in such a setup, otherwise you risk having one battery discharge the other batteries. The introduction of a diode with each battery should prevent reverse current and self-discharge; but then you'll have to ensure that the output voltage on the charger is enough when you decrease it by the forward voltage drop of the diode (0.7V). It is much better to rotate use of the charger with each battery one at a time or to buy three chargers.

Ah thanks, ended up separating them.

I picked one up today, so I just hook it up to the battery set it on motorcycle setting and disconnect it in the spring? And is it better to take the battery out or leave it in. Not sure how to use it first time winterizing

I picked one up today, so I just hook it up to the battery set it on motorcycle setting and disconnect it in the spring? And is it better to take the battery out or leave it in. Not sure how to use it first time winterizing
Yes, it should be a connect-and-forget setup. The charger will silently bring the battery voltage up to full charge and maintain it at optimum charge throughout the winter months with no monitoring on your part.

I take my battery out of the motorcycle and keep it downstairs in the basement. Freezing temperatures are not good for the battery, I've read. Others leave the battery in the bike over the winter with no apparent effect upon the lifetime of the battery. The choice is yours.

Back
Top Bottom