Grand Bend September 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Grand Bend September 19

YellowDuck

Site Supporter
This was a great day, with awesome weather once the fog lifted. Ran very smoothly, even though there was one injury (collar bone) and a few other wrecks. Reverse Alien is awesome! I love the feeling of dive-bombing the dogleg and then tipping it into the carousel without any brakes.

Here's video of some of the afternoon sessions in intermediate. I included my best lap (1:12.5) and also my worst move - stuffing a guy into 3 then outbraking myself. The GoPro was still running when I went to apologize later, so that's in the video too, just for fun.

[video=youtube;7ALLNTBT6XA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALLNTBT6XA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This was a great day, with awesome weather once the fog lifted. Ran very smoothly, even though there was one injury (collar bone) and a few other wrecks. Reverse Alien is awesome! I love the feeling of dive-bombing the dogleg and then tipping it into the carousel without any brakes.

Here's video of some of the afternoon sessions in intermediate. I included my best lap (1:12.5) and also my worst move - stuffing a guy into 3 then outbraking myself. The GoPro was still running when I went to apologize later, so that's in the video too, just for fun.

[video=youtube;7ALLNTBT6XA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALLNTBT6XA&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Get a 1/6 throttle turn revolver, life will be a lot easier and you will be less tired and a lot smother.

Your right hand is going crazy there

Agreed, and thanks for the video.
I was surprised about the collar bone, I saw the whole thing except the actual falling over in the grass and thought he would be fine.

Nice vid. I like the 2nd camera angle. I got some video from the red group. I'll try to post it up later.

Get a 1/6 throttle turn revolver, life will be a lot easier and you will be less tired and a lot smother.

I'm sure that would be excellent advice if I didn't have the fine motor coordination of a mountain troll. I kinda like it high resolution....

That was you there! Dammit.. I thought the Ducati I saw looked too orange to be you! Again we don't meet up...

Nice video. There were quite a few yellow riders that day, lots of fun out there! I forgot to put my timer on, but from the videos I took I was running in the 1:09's in the afternoon. Reverse Screaming Alien was pretty cool, but I think I still like the track better clockwise.

That was you there! Dammit.. I thought the Ducati I saw looked too orange to be you! Again we don't meet up...

Nice video. There were quite a few yellow riders that day, lots of fun out there! I forgot to put my timer on, but from the videos I took I was running in the 1:09's in the afternoon. Reverse Screaming Alien was pretty cool, but I think I still like the track better clockwise.

Yes I wanted to find you but I didn't even know what you were riding (other than it being a 600) and I assumed you were in red. Let me know if you have any video of me - if you were doing 09's in yellow you must have passed me at some point. I didn't have clear track often but when I did I was doing low to mid 13s. The 12.5 in that video was a one-off.

The frustrating thing about GB is that every time I go it is a different configuration, so I never really get to figure the track out 100%. It's challenging and fun, but my times end up being way more erratic than what I could do once I settled in.

I was spending so much time looking at the back of other bikes on Thursday that I was thinking of moving to red. The passing rules in yellow are totally appropriate, but unfortunately they end up being very restrictive for a lower powered bike. Without being allowed to pull alongside someone in a corner, I couldn't find a way to pass bikes that were running 3 seconds slower than me. Makes it pretty hard to find clear track and set a time.

I was in red, riding a zx6r #817, green upper fairing, black tail and lower. I think we were pitted across from you. We were on the outside of turn 3 when it's running clockwise. We were with the guy in red who totalled his black cbr in the early afternoon.

I know what you mean about yellow. Red is way better. Grand Bend Thursdays are good for trying to step up to red because they're usually not too busy, especially in the morning. You can get used to it before the pro racers start kicking butt. LOL It's also very fun to try to hang with them for a while. I learned a lot in the 30 seconds that I could hang with Rupert on Thursday.

No, we were pitted further up towards the pit entrance, on the same side as you. I actually came by to say hello to "the guy in red who totalled his black CBR" (I'm not naming names, since he hasn't been on the forum to mention it!) since I know him from a previous day at TMP. Glad he came out of it unscathed - he is a cool guy. The bike looks like a bit of a project at this point....

Hm, weird. Was there another Ducati like yours there that was orange?

Nope. I did go over to that pit across from you at one point to talk to those guys, after I stuffed one of them on the track - that bit is in the video.

been busy taking the CBR apart and assessing the damage. It started as a low side and ended up flipping over 4 or 5 times, which was unfortunate, causing quite a pile of damage. About 120-150 kph coming over the edge of the bump on the kink and ended up as an asteroid in a bean field. Lots of broken bits and pieces, not to mention soybeans stuck in everything. Frame, shifter, transmission, left rearset, swing arm, wheels, forks, master, lower airbox, velocity stacks, triple, wheels, etc look fine, which are the important bits. Tank got crushed (the steel underneath looks like an accordion), along with the top of the airbox, right rearset, fairing stay, slip on, rear master, clip ons, speedo were destroyed. Rear subframe is bent. Oddly the headlights, master cylinder, and throttle tube survived. Fairings are toast, but they already were. It's going to be track only now.

No injuries, which was good (and somewhat surprising given the crash).

Last edited:
Glad you are only picking soybean pods out of the bikes orifices.

Good luck getting her back together and track-ready! I guess we won't see you Saturday....

it'll be a winter rebuild, no more track this season, c ya in red group next year :)

Back
Top Bottom